Status
Not open for further replies.

Plazmadude

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello community, I need help deciding if this GPU is right for my computer and BF3.

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.20ghz, 1.60ghz
4 GB ram (3.25 usable, 32-bit OS :p)
PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot

The only catch to my GPU is it can only be a single slot. For some reason, the main power for the mobo is blocking any chance of a dual slot... I've been eyeing this card right here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2555929

...to run BF3 on my PC... I already got the game from a huge sale (premium edition, 35 bucks) and my current graphics (Galaxy Geforce GT 520) is just too wimpy. So my question for you guys is this:
Will the card linked above be able to run BF3 smoothly on low/medium settings? I'm not picky on quality, just FPS.
I'm kind of a computer nerd, but I just don't have the knowledge of GPUs to know whether or not it would work. Quick responses would be appreciated. Suggestions for other cards under $170 max from Tigerdirect would be appreciated as well. I've got a good friend over at Tiger and he can get me a discount... hehe.

Plazmadude

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
@bigshootr8: I'm not quite sure what to do in the ways of ram.. it's just my OS that can only use 3.25 gigs of it... I have a 310 watt one, but I have tons of them around, and I was gonna find a better one...

@TheGreatHoylando: Yeah, I haven't bought stuff in a while.. and CPU just isn't at the top of my to-get list.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably will be going for that card sometime in the near future.

Edit: @daswilhelm I've downloaded the game and have run it successfully, but my game was so jumpy because of my graphics. (i believe. it could be that my PC is just not good enough..)

replacing all the components you outline would cost more then 170 dollars. If you are using a 32 bit os you will be bound to 4 gigabytes my guess is that you are using XP. Don't get me wrong you got a good deal on BF3 your computer on the other hand is on its last legs it seems like with modern games.

Right but it isn't a quad core which more and more games are utilizing. Not to mention its not even a i3. Also, where as 4 gigabytes of ram may be nice 8 gigabytes is optimal in my eyes for gaming. I would say 250-300 for those components to deliver a better value of performance.

ok, so its not a quad core, i have setup a few pentium g's that game just fine, remember, we are comparing this to a pentium 4.....

and as far as i3 goes, that pentium g is right there in performance, and he can always drop in an i5 if needed in the future.

also, 4 gig, because, as the OP said, hes using a 32 bit o/s....

you said he can't upgrade for $170, obviously, he can.

Right but see you are just upgrading his system to fit in a 7770. Anything beyond a GTX660 or 7850 would crumble under that CPU, and RAM. I understand you can get components to make what he is doing work but after the fact of spending that amount of money on his system he would still have to pay 100 or so dollars for 7770.

I agree especially with BF3. He can do better. And given the age of his machine I would go the same route before touching the card. And if his budget is strict and what your suggesting is the going rate then I would say you supply the best now solution.

Plazmadude

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I actually run Win7 on here. It runs great. But all this talk is making me think that my setup won't BF3 at all... :p But I'll start out upgrading my GPU. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I have the next part I need to continue upgrading my computer. :D I extremely appreciate all this help. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS