RAID failures?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
What happens if your raid controller failures and your running raid 0, since thier striped you can't exactly just plug em in a different machine and get data off right?

Or hook em up to a working raid controller? Just wondering, because that would seem like a real pain in the ass.

Theoretically you could setup an array on another mobo with two other identical drives, and after the array is in place you could swap them out for your original drives and it might work. Don't know.

Otherwise you may have problems.

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Hehe that doesn't sound like it's very likely to happen though. Don't have a problem myself, just wondering for the future.

<font color=red> </font color=red><font color=white> </font color=white><font color=blue> </font color=blue>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
well you could always set up a raid 0,1 in anticipation of such an event the entire 0 array would then be mirrored onto another identical array if any of the drives fail you can swap em to recover the data .. expensive but safe and fast too

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

That would be in the event of a drive failure. I got the impression he was talking about the RAID controller failure. In that case, the file format of the drives would be intact, but would require an identical controller (which has been configured for those drives) to recognise the array on the disks.

Well. I'm assuming that's how it works. I hope never to find out.

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
You are correct .. I missed that .. he did say controller so replacing the controller with a pci version or putting drives into another mobo would work (depending of course on what killed the controller)

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Thanks, i figured it was something terrible and costly like that =p.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
so with raid 0 if one of the drives goes out your screwed if you don't have a mirror? and also, if i had 2 40gb hd's in my raid 0 then i would have one partition of 80gb?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Talking about controllers here, but yea you can't rebuild the failed HD in raid 0 that i know of? Would need a mirror or raid 5. And yea 80GB.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
You could probably grab another controller with the exact same chip and have it work. I've been able to move a RAID before, although it's tricky to get working exactly right.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

FatBurger

Illustrious
It would have to be the same controller chip (and probably the same motherboard for onboard RAID or card), but your video card, etc shouldn't matter.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Hmmm. Yes, I figured in theory it should get past the RAID boot screen.

Problems at the Windows end of things, since there's different cards or whatever. I suppose in those conditions, anyone would put up with 16 colours, as long as they could 'get at' their data.

<b><font color=red> :mad: DELETE THE "ITS ALL GONE QUIET" THREAD!!! :mad: </font color=red></b>