VHS Tape for Recording Audio

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
June 12, 2004 1:08:33 PM

Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
who were doing this.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 1:37:58 PM

"ZZZZ" wrote ...
> Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your
> VHS recorder from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors
> years ago about some folks who were doing this.

VHS "Hi-Fi" features stereo tracks of moderately high quality
recorded as an FM subcarrier along with the video. Subject
to head switching problems (interchange between machines)
audible as a slight buzzing sound. But recording and replaying
on the same machine is usually reliable.

Conventional VHS machines have a pretty low quality MONAURAL
sound track which I would characterize as roughly equivalent to
analog audio cassette. [This is known as the "linear track". It is
a separate head track on the edge of the tape.]

Some professional VHS equipment has STEREO LINEAR
tracks where the narrow strip at th edge of the tape is divided
between two tracks (for left and right).

VHS has never been known for its high quality of audio
recording IMHO. VHS Hi-Fi is OK in a pinch when you have
nothing better.

OTOH many folk use their VCRs for "time-shifting" radio
programs because of their multi-hour capacity and timer
convienence.
June 12, 2004 8:35:55 PM

ZZZZ wrote:

> Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
> from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
> who were doing this.

Many years ago I used to record an all-night jazz program
from the tuner in my stereo receiver to an attached VCR because
of the 6-hour running time. Went from RecOut on the receiver to
AudioIn on the VCR, then had to select L1 as input on the VCR.

Izzat what you are asking about?

If so, yes!

If not, maybe.
Related resources
June 12, 2004 8:47:23 PM

ZZZZ wrote:

> Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
> from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
> who were doing this.

It works very well.

June 13, 2004 2:33:26 AM

If you have a very good VHS HiFi machine, the sound quality is supposed to
approach that of CD quality. Sometimes there can be a bit of head buzz when
there is low level audio. This is from the head switching in the HiFi
tracks. The very high end HiFi machines have some circuits to make the buzz
effect less audible.

Sometimes when the tape is played from one machine to the other, there may
be some increased head buzz as well. This has to do with the tape path
alignment accuracy between the machines. The HiFi track is particularly
critical. There is no quality difference in the HiFi audio at the slow or
fast speeds.

The linear track is mono on the modern HiFi machines. If you use this track
however, the quality is very poor in the low speed, and is almost acceptable
in the high speed.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"ZZZZ" <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
who were doing this.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 3:54:11 PM

"ZZZZ" <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
> from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
> who were doing this.

Yes years ago. Before cheap hi quality PC sound cards were available, and
hard drive space so cheap, it was common to record audio only to a VHS Hi-Fi
recorder.
The quality is acceptable, but not up to the standards of a computer with
SoundBlaster live card even. So why bother?

TonyP.
June 13, 2004 3:54:12 PM

TonyP wrote:

> "ZZZZ" <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
>>from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
>>who were doing this.
>

> Yes years ago. Before cheap hi quality PC sound cards were available, and
> hard drive space so cheap, it was common to record audio only to a VHS Hi-Fi
> recorder.
> The quality is acceptable, but not up to the standards of a computer with
> SoundBlaster live card even. So why bother?
>
> TonyP.

Actually, I think the quality can exceed that of many PC sound cards.

June 13, 2004 6:13:51 PM

"CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > The quality is acceptable, but not up to the standards of a computer
with
> > SoundBlaster live card even. So why bother?

> Actually, I think the quality can exceed that of many PC sound cards.

Yes, there were some sound cards even worse, that's why I said SB live as
being superior.
Obviously the 8 bit SoundBlaster's for example, don't qualify.

TonyP.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 6:22:58 PM

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have a very good VHS HiFi machine, the sound quality is supposed to
> approach that of CD quality.

Yes, "approach", but from quite a distance.

>Sometimes there can be a bit of head buzz when
> there is low level audio. This is from the head switching in the HiFi
> tracks. The very high end HiFi machines have some circuits to make the
buzz
> effect less audible.

All VHS Hi-Fi VCR's use Noise Reduction to get the figures they quote.

> Sometimes when the tape is played from one machine to the other, there may
> be some increased head buzz as well. This has to do with the tape path
> alignment accuracy between the machines. The HiFi track is particularly
> critical. There is no quality difference in the HiFi audio at the slow or
> fast speeds.

Wrong.
SOME parameters may not be worse.

> The linear track is mono on the modern HiFi machines. If you use this
track
> however, the quality is very poor in the low speed, and is almost
acceptable
> in the high speed.

Why would you use that. It's only for compatibility with non Hi-Fi machines,
and is NEVER acceptable at any standard speeds.

TonyP.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 7:24:10 PM

In article <120620040908336753%berrydoor857@yahoo.com>, berrydoor857@yahoo.com
says...
>Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
>from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
>who were doing this.

Definitely. If you have a HiFi VCR you can get really good results even
at the slowest speed. This allows you to make really long tapes.
---------------
Alex
Anonymous
October 9, 2009 4:15:02 PM

Quote:

In article <120620040908336753%berrydoor857@yahoo.com>, berrydoor857@yahoo.com
says...
>Anybody know if this is possible. Using the inputs on your VHS recorder
>from your mixer or mbox. I heard some rumors years ago about some folks
>who were doing this.

Definitely. If you have a HiFi VCR you can get really good results even
at the slowest speed. This allows you to make really long tapes.
Alex

would you say recording to vhs and back would add an analouge 'warm' sound to a digitally produced .wav?
!