Which 680 should i get?

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys, i am doing an upgrade and would like to know which one of the gtx 680 to get. I am a mid range gamer, but plan on keeping the card for at leats 2 years. Or should i get a card other than the 680. my budget is 500 US. please help, thanks
P.S. since the card is pci e 3.0, will it work in a normal pci e slot? i will be running an x6 amd 100t, corsair 850w professional edition, 1080p monitor, hope to upgrade to 3D soon. motherboard is the asus m4A88TD-EVO/usb 3.0. also 16 gigs corsair vengence. mother board, ram, processor already have. i got it in a deal. any advice?

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
thanks, but which version should i get? there is the signature SC, then there is the gtx 680 FTW [better heat-sink i think, almost same heat as signiture SC] then there is the normal gtx680. does it matter which one i get? the 4gig vram is for multi displays mostly, so, does it matter which one i choose? thank you.

Don't get a 680. It's only 5% faster than a 670 (3% after overclocking both cards), and $100 more expensive. If that's not enough to convince you, the fact that both cards will max out any game out there should.

Since you seem to like EVGA, get the 670 FTW, or FTW Signature 2. (Don't get the + or LE editions, and don't bother with 4GB of VRAM... good for you for knowing that it doesn't make the card faster, though.)

That being said, although EVGA has bloody amazing customer service, and the best reference coolers around, other 670s will have slightly better cooling options and will be able to overclock higher.

Nope. And after running 3D for a while you'll probably want to SLI them, and two 680's are a hell of alot more expensive than two 670's.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey,
^+1 DarkSable

The gtx680 is a beast, but for less $$$ you could get a non-reference model of a gtx670, like a gigabyte windforce X3, asus direct cu, or a msi lightning edition. Then you can overclock it to match a gtx 680. Also thanks to their custom coolers and non reference boards the cards will run cooler, and have a longer lifespan. They are not only custom cooled, but they have non reference PCB's, the windforce x3 for example has the board of a gtx680, with 5 power phases. The asus has 6 power phases, and also features a backplate. The msi power edition card comes with voltage adjustment for better overclocking. All three of the cards have some nice power circuitry but their voltage is locked at 1.175v (unless you do a BIOS mod for it), only the msi power edition supports overvolting out of the box. So unless you really want a gtx680 consider getting one of those cards.

Also as Darksable said eVga has great customer service, but their coolers are not as good as the brands I listed above. If you want to go with evga, then you are right with choosing the FTW edition, it has a better cooler, and I believe it runs on a gtx680 pcb, but im not 100% sure about that.

Hope this helps!

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

how long exactly would i hav to wait? I can wait untill may/june. i just need the psu, video card and SSD drive. Other than that i would take the GTX 670. I dont do any major overclocking, besides from what the sofware provides and i just like the blower type fans that exhaust to the back of the case, leaving no hot air inside the case.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

At the moment there is not much concrete evidence or rumors, however it is speculated that the hd8000's from AMD will be arriving later this year. Nvidia might release new cards around then.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Why people saying next year..They not skipping 700 series nor both companys isnt going to go with out eating (making money) im guessing march april for nvidia. I still think waiting waiting is the better option but if you need one at this very moment thats a different story. I just dont see nvidia dropping cards next year or to late into the year so prob will be on the same route or close as the 600 series

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I think waiting would still be the better option..Many people buying 670/680 now and when specs drop they will end up selling/step up program if they within 90 days which would cost more with shipping etc

I would recommend the 7970 ghz edition models because there better in every way with few exceptions like being slightly less "smooth" game play and they use a little more energy while also being 2-12 dbs louder. Other than that they are better. I would wait for new GPU's to be announced first though.

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

true, but at the moment, the nvida 3d is better, in my opinion. and i will upgrade to 3D in the future.

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

now that is pretty cool man. thats awesome.... games still need to be oculus ready and u might need a fast video card for that.