The fan keeps flying out of my video card!

otli

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Pictured is my video card and the fan that should be attached to it: http://imgur.com/6MMV3ts

When I push it back in (held by magnet) and power it on, it spins, wobbles, scrapes against the heatsink, then either stops spinning or shoots flying out of the video card, all within a second. Does anybody know a fix? I have been taping a small case fan to the side of the card, but I'm hoping for a more permanent solution.

Attaching a case fan on top that heatsink cover can be a permanent solution, if you use a better way than tape to do it. In that case, you will not have any control over the RPM of that fan, though.
The only other way would be to get down to it with a few tools and a lot of patience; dismantle the heatsink, take the remainder of the old fan out and replace it.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

There are three screws on the remnants of his broken fan and each of the new fans. (well the new ones have screw holes anyway. You have to look at some of the other views to get a good look at them)

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

The should be able to mount in the same holes left behind once the remnants of the old fan are removed. (At least the right-sized fan should. -don't know what size the existing one is...was.)