Sign in with
Your question

When I boot my PC, I *sometimes* get no signal until I restart?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2013 10:51:42 PM

Hi all,

I built my own PC some time around July last year. Everything was fine at first, but this problem has been occurring more and more often.

So I'll boot up my PC sometimes, and everything will work fine. But then if I turn it off, restart it or sometimes even wake it up from sleep mode, I'll just get "NO SIGNAL" shown on my monitor. Just now I restarted my computer and got a blank screen, NOT "NO SIGNAL" which indicated that something else was wrong. I reset by holding the reset button on my tower and everything's now working fine.

Other times, I'll hear the windows start up sound, but get no display on my monitor (I can't remember if it showed the "no signal" message or was just blank) until I restart it. I've had to restart multiple times. On one occasion, if I recall correctly, I could get a display with my HDMI cable inserted in to my motherboard, but not when inserted in to my GPU. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7850.

Each time I manage to get it working, I get a pop-up box saying Windows has recovered from an unexpected error, but I'm assuming that this is due to me restarting by holding the button.

If it's relevant, my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3.

My graphics drivers are all up to date (there was an update today and I restarted afterwards- the problem happened again) and I've tried reseating it. If anyone's got any suggestions or advice, I'd appreciate it. Thank you very much.

More about : boot signal restart

January 21, 2013 11:07:33 PM

Radioface said:
Hi all,

I built my own PC some time around July last year. Everything was fine at first, but this problem has been occurring more and more often.

So I'll boot up my PC sometimes, and everything will work fine. But then if I turn it off, restart it or sometimes even wake it up from sleep mode, I'll just get "NO SIGNAL" shown on my monitor. Just now I restarted my computer and got a blank screen, NOT "NO SIGNAL" which indicated that something else was wrong. I reset by holding the reset button on my tower and everything's now working fine.

Other times, I'll hear the windows start up sound, but get no display on my monitor (I can't remember if it showed the "no signal" message or was just blank) until I restart it. I've had to restart multiple times. On one occasion, if I recall correctly, I could get a display with my HDMI cable inserted in to my motherboard, but not when inserted in to my GPU. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7850.

Each time I manage to get it working, I get a pop-up box saying Windows has recovered from an unexpected error, but I'm assuming that this is due to me restarting by holding the button.

If it's relevant, my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3.

My graphics drivers are all up to date (there was an update today and I restarted afterwards- the problem happened again) and I've tried reseating it. If anyone's got any suggestions or advice, I'd appreciate it. Thank you very much.

check your motherboard BIOS settings: make sure that you have selected wake the machine via keyboard selected (I use the space bar) also make sure you do not have your USB selected to power off during sleep if you have a USB keyboard.
Sometimes it is listed as enable EU setting (turns off your USB device during sleep to save power, it will also prevent your system from getting the wakeup signal from a USB keyboard.

I have seen other causes but the above is the most common.
Related resources
!