Changing Powersupply Fan

G

My powersupply brings alot of noise and I'm about to adress this. What I would like to do is to buy a new noise control supply, but the money Isn't there. So I'm thinking of changing the fan for a nice papst fan.
What size should it be? (80mm?)
Is it a bitch, or quite easy?
Any risks?

//El Rollo

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Size: 80mm (at least the ones I got)

Pretty easy

Risk: you get shocked, fingers go numb for a minute, toes curl, you scream like a battle monkey. I managed not to get shocked when changed it, just don't grab it like an ape and you'll be okay.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
keep yer hands away from the big capacitors they can hold a mean charge for days

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

G

Ok.... thank you for the tips guys.... I'll see if I'll do it myself... or go for that readymade silent power supply.... and at the same time upgrade to 350W

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Enermax Whisper is the one if you're purchasing a whole PSU!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Actually those capacitors can hold a mean bite for more then a couple of days. Aswell under the right conditions, ie: your sweating, etc. There is enough current in one of those capacitors to stop your heart.

I have done it myself. I wouldnt recommend it to someone that doesnt know how to take the proper precautions.

Its not Voltage that kills. Its current. YOu could stop your heart if you where shocked with 1Volt, rated at 2Amps.

On a less serious side a fun prank you can pull with SMALLER capacitors is charging it and shocking someone with it...... ahhhh, high school...;