7950 is faster than an OCed 680

58 answers Last reply
More about 7950 faster oced
  1. Well, a stock 7950 is only 5-10% weaker than a 680. If you can get above 20% overclock with a very good 7950, I suppose it could be reasonable that you could do better than an oced 680. I have trouble believing that 680 is fully overclocked though.
  2. lt_dan_zsu said:
    Well, a stock 7950 is only 5-10% weaker than a 680. If you can get above 20% overclock with a very good 7950, I suppose it could be reasonable that you could do better than an oced 680. I have trouble believing that 680 is fully overclocked though.

Well to be honest the new nvidia's really suck for OCing but you know what I could care less about OCing. I am no fanboy I am seriously considering picking up an EVGA 660ti FTW+ but dam do the AMD cards perform real well for the money.
  3. I would definitely get an amd card. The 7950 seems to be the best deal for a high end card right now. I got mine a few months back and love it. My oced 7950 is only a little weaker than my brother's oced 7970, and I think I could push a little more out of my gpu, just haven't had the time.
  4. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I would definitely get an amd card. The 7950 seems to be the best deal for a high end card right now. I got mine a few months back and love it. My oced 7950 is only a little weaker than my brother's oced 7970, and I think I could push a little more out of my gpu, just haven't had the time.

From me OCing is not worth it as it's min framerate that I care about as well I am a firm believer that AMD or nvidia manufactured there cards to performs within their in house spec and parameters. nvidia greenlight is a shame and I don't like adaptive Vsync and those two alone are almost enough from me to jump ship back to AMD aside from the fact that AMD has the faster cards that also happen to be a better value at the same time. My GTX 560 is defiantly not cutting it for me any longer after nvidia crippled the use of Vertical Sync.
  5. If they were meant to be in the stock parameters, then it would not be so easy to overclock. My overclocked 7950 runs almost no hotter than it did at stock, so it isn't hurting the card either.
  6. You also need to look at it from the stand point is that its still subject to the silicon lottery. That specific card can get up near a 680 OC and perhaps pass it but again you are still subject to temperatures that chip can handle and the amount of power as well. If you got a good 680 I'm sure you could overclock it balls to the walls so its all relative.
  7. bigshootr8 said:
    You also need to look at it from the stand point is that its still subject to the silicon lottery. That specific card can get up near a 680 OC and perhaps pass it but again you are still subject to temperatures that chip can handle and the amount of power as well. If you got a good 680 I'm sure you could overclock it balls to the walls so its all relative.

Well nvidia 6 series are terrible OCers especially after greenlight.
  8. Tom Burnqest said:
    Well nvidia 6 series are terrible OCers especially after greenlight.

The Greenlight program is a bit of a double edged sword, I for one can understand why they have implemented it but I can also understand why it has upset folk.
  9. the 7950 seems to be the best deal for a high end card right now.
  10. I haven't heard of the green light program, that is complete crap. And at bigshootr. While you are subject to silicon lottery, average oc for amd cards are much higher.
  11. Mousemonkey said:
    The Greenlight program is a bit of a double edged sword, I for one can understand why they have implemented it but I can also understand why it has upset folk.

Still Greenlight is sleazy marketing IMO.
  12. Please study this before asking question : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
    oc increase data transfer rate only .
  13. Tom Burnqest said:
    Still Greenlight is sleazy marketing IMO.

You feel that trying to protect a companies rep is sleazy? Fair enough, I don't see it that way myself but each to their own I suppose.
  14. Mousemonkey said:
    You feel that trying to protect a companies rep is sleazy? Fair enough, I don't see it that way myself but each to their own I suppose.

Artificially crippling OCing potential "after the fact" is a mar against the cards quality and robustness and trying to mitigate it up as not a big issue is a problem to me.
  15. hytecgowthaman said:
    Please study this before asking question : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
    oc increase data transfer rate only .

What exactly is your point you are trying to communicate ?
  16. Tom Burnqest said:
    Artificially crippling OCing potential "after the fact" is a mar against the cards quality and robustness and trying to mitigate it up as not a big issue is a problem to me.

But if aggressive OC'ing is likely to kill the card then is it not in the consumers best interest for limits to be set?
  17. 100 percent agree. However I would say to that give people the tools and if they screw up then its on them you don't have to cover overclocking on the warranty.
  18. Mousemonkey said:
    But if aggressive OC'ing is likely to kill the card then is it not in the consumers best interest for limits to be set?

nvidias problem not the end users.
  19. Well, a big part of it is marketing the ability to OC....
  20. Tom Burnqest said:
    nvidias problem not the end users.

So if you OC your card and it goes pop how is that not your problem?
  21. bet your butt it is your problem
  22. Mousemonkey said:
    So if you OC your card and it goes pop how is that not your problem?

Never had an issue with EVGA cards breaking under an OC they just blue screen and reboot. That being said I bought a referbed 6870 last summer and it shiiz the bed under a 100Mhz OC LOL. I don't like to OC myself but it's nice to have the pice of mind that it's there and in tangible proportions when or if you want it. AMD don't have an issue with OCing so why does untouchable green get a free pass when they should be reprimanded by way of the principles of the free market just the same as AMD.
  23. amuffin said:
    Well, a big part of it is marketing the ability to OC....

What marketing the ability to cripple OCing potential LOL
  24. Tom Burnqest said:
    Never had an issue with EVGA cards breaking under an OC they just blue screen and reboot. That being said I bought a referbed 6870 last summer and it shiiz the bed under a 100Mhz OC LOL. I don't like to OC myself but it's nice to have the pice of mind that it's there and in tangible proportions when or if you want it. AMD don't have an issue with OCing so why does untouchable green get a free pass when they should be reprimanded by way of the principles of the free market just the same as AMD.

AMD have done cards that throttle back when OC'd, 5970 anyone?
  25. youtube is BS, http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited/9 < the 7950 competes more with the 660ti.
  26. iam2thecrowe said:
    youtube is BS, http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited/9 < the 7950 competes more with the 660ti.

Tiny Tom Logan has a very good reputation so why would he throw that away makes no sense mate.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/club_3d_7950_royal_king_review/1
  27. iam2thecrowe said:
    youtube is BS, http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited/9 < the 7950 competes more with the 660ti.

That's such an old write up with little bases in actual reality I mean the could have been paid off by nvidia and drivers and patches have completely fixed that problem.
  28. Mousemonkey said:
    AMD have done cards that throttle back when OC'd, 5970 anyone?

Honestly I think that was more an issue that was understandable due to the inherent heat output that two GPUs on one PCB will put out. As an aside how do your 660ti cards perform given the crippled mem bus width as I am considering an EVGA 660ti FTW+
  29. Oh no here we go 7950 vs 660 ti.

I Personally wouldnt touch the 660ti. Mainly because its 192bit but thats just me.
    I heard some people getting very low fps drops because of the 192bit interface and that turned me off since i was actually gonna get 2 of them in sli.

Imo 7950 is probably the best bang for back card out. When overclocked it can surpass the 680 and 7970. for a much lower price point. :D
  30. Tom Burnqest said:
    That's such an old write up with little bases in actual reality I mean the could have been paid off by nvidia and drivers and patches have completely fixed that problem.

And you could have been paid by AMD to make anti Nvidia posts on the forums, how do we know whether you have or not?

Unless you have proof that a site has been paid off it's just a wild accusation that should be ignored IMO.
  31. Tom Burnqest said:
    Honestly I think that was more an issue that was understandable due to the inherent heat output that two GPUs on one PCB will put out. As an aside how do your 660ti cards perform given the crippled mem bus width as I am considering an EVGA 660ti FTW+

Stellar, they outperform the 560Ti's that they replaced and I have not seen any issues or fps drops.
  32. Mousemonkey said:
    And you could have been paid by AMD to make anti Nvidia posts on the forums, how do we know whether you have or not?

Unless you have proof that a site has been paid off it's just a wild accusation that should be ignored IMO.

Well I run a GTX 560 SE right now so I am hardly anti nvidia but the fact is the 7950 has no issues running skyrim.
  33. Tom Burnqest said:
    Well I run a GTX 560 SE right now so I am hardly anti nvidia but the fact is the 7950 has no issues running skyrim.

I don't play Skyrim so I can't tell you what the performance is like in that game.
  34. Mousemonkey said:
    Stellar, they outperform the 560Ti's that they replaced and I have not seen any issues or fps drops.

As another aside I think memory bit bus width is an over talked about and redundant issue as I see the nvidia cards being very competitive with AMD and the numbers do not lie.
  35. Tom Burnqest said:
    As another aside I think memory bit bus width is an over talked about and redundant issue as I see the nvidia cards being very competitive with AMD and the numbers do not lie.

The bus width may be an issue at extreme resolutions but I'm only gaming @19 x 10 so the 192 bit bus was never going to be an issue for me.
  36. Mousemonkey said:
    The bus width may be an issue at extreme resolutions but I'm only gaming @19 x 10 so the 192 bit bus was never going to be an issue for me.

Even then the GTX 680/670 is not struggling in HD+ resolution anymore or less than is AMD with respect of course for the fact that the 7970 has a bit of an overall edge in some games not because of memory but because it's faster.
  37. What up recon_UK?Why you no longer troll in battelog forum?
  38. Tom while I do agree that TTL has a good reputation and I watch his videos you are taking his video out of context. You create a thread prefacing that the 7950 is better then a 680 overclocked. He is using a club3d and I'm guessing one of there better cards that is used for overclocking.
  39. bigshootr8 said:
    Tom while I do agree that TTL has a good reputation and I watch his videos you are taking his video out of context. You create a thread prefacing that the 7950 is better then a 680 overclocked. He is using a club3d and I'm guessing one of there better cards that is used for overclocking.

Whats your point it's a 7950 and they all OC very well. So at worst or average the 7950 might OC on par to an OCed 680 instead of beating it but it's still a faster better and more value packed card. Also ya I think TTL is perhaps the best reviewer of PC hardware on the net to bad he killed strawberry.
  40. Not all chips are the same. Like I said there is a thing called the silicon lottery. Not all chips are gone through by each company to see what there thermal limits are to overclock. I have a feeling that the club3d card he tested was a model that just was a good luck of the draw silicon wise. I feel not every card you run across will be able to catch a 680 overclocked. You made a generalization that EVERY 7950 can be overclocked to 680 overclocked levels whatever the 680 overclocked levels are.
  41. I wonder how long a 7950 OC'd to that level would last? and if it is stable at all? Its a bit misleading as to how much you can OC the 6xx nvidia series, I havn't seen a review site unlock the bios voltage and power limit using Kelper Golden Bios Unlocker yet. I have played around with it a bit on my gtx 660 and you can get a LOT better overclocks than with the standard BIOS. Its extremely easy to do and pretty safe since i uses your cards own bios and just changes 2 paramaters for voltage and power limit.
  42. Right, I agree with you its really hard to tell how long a chip would last based on how heavy of a overclock you would push it through. TTL on on overclock3d he normally does benchmarks with his CPU's at 4.8ghz (on air) I can almost be certain he doesn't leave them there. Generalizations are unwise. I'm sure people still have power edition cards that have the unlocked power adjustments through a older version of afterburner.
  43. bought a 7870 last year which is already on its last legs. hence im not going back to amd, no matter how cheap it is. Im sure it goes the other way. That is how these companies gain costumers. the fact that there is only two competitors in the market makes it extremely easy for them to just do whatever they want and not care about quality control. I did not OC btw.
  44. pentiumradeon said:
    bought a 7870 last year which is already on its last legs. hence im not going back to amd, no matter how cheap it is. Im sure it goes the other way. That is how these companies gain costumers. the fact that there is only two competitors in the market makes it extremely easy for them to just do whatever they want and not care about quality control. I did not OC btw.

Powercolor
  45. iam2thecrowe said:
    I wonder how long a 7950 OC'd to that level would last? and if it is stable at all? Its a bit misleading as to how much you can OC the 6xx nvidia series, I havn't seen a review site unlock the bios voltage and power limit using Kelper Golden Bios Unlocker yet. I have played around with it a bit on my gtx 660 and you can get a LOT better overclocks than with the standard BIOS. Its extremely easy to do and pretty safe since i uses your cards own bios and just changes 2 paramaters for voltage and power limit.

I don't know why you have to be such a downer about Radeon HD being superior to nvidia right now. It goes back and forth mate but right now at this point in time and in this case the 7950 is king no matter how you slice the pie. There is still nothing wrong with nvidia besides Greenlight but for me as an install it and leave it kind of guy that does not sway my craving for an EVGA GTX 660ti FTW+ one bit however the Radeon HD 7950 offers tremendous Price/Performance so it makes the choice a real difficult one. Worse case scenario a guy on a relatively short budget could get a Radeon HD 7950 and OC it to mirror the performance of an HD 7970 and you know whats that's about the best price to performance offered by both manufactures since as far back as 2005 or even later.
  46. Tom Burnqest said:
    I don't know why you have to be such a downer about Radeon HD being superior to nvidia right now. It goes back and forth mate but right now at this point in time and in this case the 7950 is king no matter how you slice the pie. There is still nothing wrong with nvidia besides Greenlight but for me as an install it and leave it kind of guy that does not sway my craving for an EVGA GTX 660ti FTW+ one bit however the Radeon HD 7950 offers tremendous Price/Performance so it makes the choice a real difficult one. Worse case scenario a guy on a relatively short budget could get a Radeon HD 7950 and OC it to mirror the performance of an HD 7970 and you know whats that's about the best price to performance offered by both manufactures since as far back as 2005 or even later.

I like the graphs in this review. :whistle:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_660_ti_directcu_top_review,11.html
  47. Mousemonkey said:

I don't know what I am looking at but it seems to show solid performance for the 660ti across all common resolutions in Hard Reset. Just out of fairness that was most likely a reference 7870 on that review however I must state that the cheapest 7870 which happens to be a GHZ Edition goes for $40 cheaper than the cheapest 660ti. I still want an EVGA GTX 660ti FTW+ 3GB just to be an exclusive graphics snob and to have something most people do not LOL.
  48. Mouse is a funny man/lady not sure which quite yet but either way he probably just really enjoys that game :D or hes trolling you :P
  49. Tom Burnqest said:
    I don't know what I am looking at but it seems to show solid performance for the 660ti across all common resolutions in Hard Reset.

Well if you were to read the entire article then you might see why I think you've started this thread.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics