Question about power supply for Audio Alchemy DAC

Last response: in Home Audio
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2004 7:21:51 AM

Hi

I intend to build a better power supply for my AA DAC (DDE V1.0).

I heard about some upgraded PS by AA. They are all specified to have
higher current and voltage.

Higher current seems to make sense in improving DAC performance but
what about higher voltage? Why did AA do this on the upgraded PS?

My DAC has internal regulators (i.e. inside the DAC box not in the
separate PS).

Can anyone explain to me the effect when the supply voltage is
increased?

Thanks

Quan
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2004 10:26:09 AM

Comments inserted.

"Quan Tran" <quantran@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:D 1320e3b.0406150221.20fc5048@posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> I intend to build a better power supply for my AA DAC (DDE V1.0).
>
> I heard about some upgraded PS by AA. They are all specified to have
> higher current and voltage.
>
> Higher current seems to make sense in improving DAC performance but
> what about higher voltage? Why did AA do this on the upgraded PS?
>
> My DAC has internal regulators (i.e. inside the DAC box not in the
> separate PS).
>
> Can anyone explain to me the effect when the supply voltage is
> increased?

More supply voltage may mean more headroom, at the possible expense of
running the chips, etc closer to their maximum voltage rating, and perhaps
to their ultimate failure.

More current capability is fine and all, but if the supply were designed
properly in the first place you'd probably never hear it.

Mark Z.

> Thanks
>
> Quan
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2004 11:22:38 AM

Don't go by rumour, or hearsay. Find out actual facts before changing the
specs of a power supply. I would contact the manufacture for their
recommendations before doing any modification to something, especially
something that is expensive to replace if damaged.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Quan Tran" <quantran@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:D 1320e3b.0406150221.20fc5048@posting.google.com...
Hi

I intend to build a better power supply for my AA DAC (DDE V1.0).

I heard about some upgraded PS by AA. They are all specified to have
higher current and voltage.

Higher current seems to make sense in improving DAC performance but
what about higher voltage? Why did AA do this on the upgraded PS?

My DAC has internal regulators (i.e. inside the DAC box not in the
separate PS).

Can anyone explain to me the effect when the supply voltage is
increased?

Thanks

Quan
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 3:50:55 AM

Thanks Mark,

As the DAC has internal regulators. If it is fed with a different
voltage then the regulators will work to bring the voltage back to the
reference. Is that correct?

It is the manufacturer, Audio Alchemy, who make two versions of the PS
with different voltages (12V and 14V). They offered the 14V as an
upgrade. This one was found by some people to give better sound.

I am still confused by the way they do it.

Quan

"Mark D. Zacharias" <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote in message news:<2j84miFu4ovjU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> More supply voltage may mean more headroom, at the possible expense of
> running the chips, etc closer to their maximum voltage rating, and perhaps
> to their ultimate failure.
>
> More current capability is fine and all, but if the supply were designed
> properly in the first place you'd probably never hear it.
>
> Mark Z.
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > Quan
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 8:53:37 AM

A regulator fed more voltage for the same output voltage will simply run
hotter, with no added benefit. The power dissipated by the regulator is
equal to the voltage drop across the device, multiplied by the current
through that device. I'm not an engineer, though - this is basic repair tech
stuff.

Mark Z.

"Quan Tran" <quantran@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:D 1320e3b.0406152250.1b2c9692@posting.google.com...
> Thanks Mark,
>
> As the DAC has internal regulators. If it is fed with a different
> voltage then the regulators will work to bring the voltage back to the
> reference. Is that correct?
>
> It is the manufacturer, Audio Alchemy, who make two versions of the PS
> with different voltages (12V and 14V). They offered the 14V as an
> upgrade. This one was found by some people to give better sound.
>
> I am still confused by the way they do it.
>
> Quan
>
> "Mark D. Zacharias" <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote in message
> > More supply voltage may mean more headroom, at the possible expense of
> > running the chips, etc closer to their maximum voltage rating, and
perhaps
> > to their ultimate failure.
> >
> > More current capability is fine and all, but if the supply were designed
> > properly in the first place you'd probably never hear it.
> >
> > Mark Z.
> >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Quan
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 12:42:28 PM

"Mark D. Zacharias" <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:

>A regulator fed more voltage for the same output voltage will simply run
>hotter, with no added benefit. The power dissipated by the regulator is
>equal to the voltage drop across the device, multiplied by the current
>through that device. I'm not an engineer, though - this is basic repair tech
>stuff.
>
>Mark Z.

Maybe the DAC works better when hot...?
---
Ing. Remberto Gomez-Meda <gomerem@hotmail.com>
http://ingemeda.tripod.com/
INGE - Ingenieria Electronica.
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 2:43:57 PM

El Meda wrote:
> "Mark D. Zacharias" <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:
>
>> A regulator fed more voltage for the same output voltage will simply
>> run hotter, with no added benefit. The power dissipated by the
>> regulator is equal to the voltage drop across the device, multiplied
>> by the current through that device. I'm not an engineer, though -
>> this is basic repair tech stuff.
>>
>> Mark Z.
>
> Maybe the DAC works better when hot...?

That would make it a real POS.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 3:32:34 PM

On 15 Jun 2004 23:50:55 -0700, quantran@hotpop.com (Quan Tran) wrote:

>Thanks Mark,
>
>As the DAC has internal regulators. If it is fed with a different
>voltage then the regulators will work to bring the voltage back to the
>reference. Is that correct?
>
>It is the manufacturer, Audio Alchemy, who make two versions of the PS
>with different voltages (12V and 14V). They offered the 14V as an
>upgrade. This one was found by some people to give better sound.
>
>I am still confused by the way they do it.

They probably did it because they found a good source of the 14v PS
units and they were applicable to more models in the AA line. OTOH,
some of the devices in AA DACs run better with 12V and replacing their
5v regs with 12v regs is only effective if the PS is >12V.

Kal
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 8:11:21 PM

Kalman Rubinson <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message news:<fsp0d0plbvhfguhndl06nd8nun92ol7hbe@4ax.com>...
> On 15 Jun 2004 23:50:55 -0700, quantran@hotpop.com (Quan Tran) wrote:
>
> >Thanks Mark,
> >
> >As the DAC has internal regulators. If it is fed with a different
> >voltage then the regulators will work to bring the voltage back to the
> >reference. Is that correct?
> >
> >It is the manufacturer, Audio Alchemy, who make two versions of the PS
> >with different voltages (12V and 14V). They offered the 14V as an
> >upgrade. This one was found by some people to give better sound.
> >
> >I am still confused by the way they do it.
>
> They probably did it because they found a good source of the 14v PS
> units and they were applicable to more models in the AA line. OTOH,
> some of the devices in AA DACs run better with 12V and replacing their
> 5v regs with 12v regs is only effective if the PS is >12V.

Okay, this answer is directly from the person who ran Audio Alchemy
and he allows this to be represented as the official answer:

For a variety of reasons, it was desired to have a power
supply of a somewhat higher current output so that it could
be used for several different products. The supplier of the
original 12 volt supply was not able to supply a 12 volt
supply with the extra current, and the only off-the-shelf
part that had the needed current requirements at around the
same price was a 14 volt supply. So that's what they chose.
Had there been a 12 volt supply with the extra current, it
would have been used instead.

With existing DACs that came with the 12 volt supply, which
had sufficient current output for them, there is no advantage
to the 14 volt supply since, with the same 12 volt regulator,
it ends up drawing the same current from the 14 volt supply
as it draws from the 12 volt supply.

When I asked about rumors of audible differences between the
two supplies, he laughed a little laugh, and sighed a little
sigh, and said, wistfully, "och, people!"
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2004 11:16:04 PM

On 16 Jun 2004 16:11:21 -0700, dpierce@cartchunk.org (Dick Pierce)
wrote:

>Kalman Rubinson <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message news:<fsp0d0plbvhfguhndl06nd8nun92ol7hbe@4ax.com>...
>> On 15 Jun 2004 23:50:55 -0700, quantran@hotpop.com (Quan Tran) wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks Mark,
>> >
>> >As the DAC has internal regulators. If it is fed with a different
>> >voltage then the regulators will work to bring the voltage back to the
>> >reference. Is that correct?
>> >
>> >It is the manufacturer, Audio Alchemy, who make two versions of the PS
>> >with different voltages (12V and 14V). They offered the 14V as an
>> >upgrade. This one was found by some people to give better sound.
>> >
>> >I am still confused by the way they do it.
>>
>> They probably did it because they found a good source of the 14v PS
>> units and they were applicable to more models in the AA line. OTOH,
>> some of the devices in AA DACs run better with 12V and replacing their
>> 5v regs with 12v regs is only effective if the PS is >12V.
>
>Okay, this answer is directly from the person who ran Audio Alchemy
>and he allows this to be represented as the official answer:
>
> For a variety of reasons, it was desired to have a power
> supply of a somewhat higher current output so that it could
> be used for several different products. The supplier of the
> original 12 volt supply was not able to supply a 12 volt
> supply with the extra current, and the only off-the-shelf
> part that had the needed current requirements at around the
> same price was a 14 volt supply. So that's what they chose.
> Had there been a 12 volt supply with the extra current, it
> would have been used instead.

So I figured.

>When I asked about rumors of audible differences between the
>two supplies, he laughed a little laugh, and sighed a little
>sigh, and said, wistfully, "och, people!"

I can hear him say it.

Kal
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 17, 2004 12:35:08 PM

I used to replace the stock PS with two 12V motorcycle batteries which
is capable of much higher current. The result was horrible sound,
very fatiguing!
!