want moderate priced recorder for collection of sounds

I'm looking for a tape or microdisc recorder which would give me stereo
compability; I would like to use it sometimes as a "portable" recorder to
collect sounds for use when I get going on my camcorder training this late
fall (learning on my own-for now). I'm waiting to see what the market might
bring as far as HD camcorders. If I bought a camcorder now it would be the
Sony DCR_VX2100 with a XLR Adapter box. I ordered the newest Adobe Audition
1.5 Classroom in a Book which will be delivered sometime in July. I need a
recorder that can connect to my computer, and something below $1000. If I
need to go mono at first I will. I see the XLR microphones are expensive,
but I'll need then anyway when I get the camcorder. Could someone give me
an idea of a starter recorder with (type?)microphones(XLR). I would like to
collect sounds of cars, trains, crowds, wind, thunder, birds, etc. Are
there any cassette recorders that would do the job? Can a person build
their own parabolic microphone setup? Please talk "layman's speak". Any
particular computer audio card you might recommend for amateur video
production? I've got the Adobe Premiere Standard Video software; I also
own Photoshop CS and Illustrator 11. I was hoping newer camcorder
technology would be coming out this fall. My computer is up to video
processing, and I learn fast. I've got time on my hands because of some
disabilities. I'd like to keep the recorder price as low as possible. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks---

Sincerely -- Randyman
7 answers Last reply
More about want moderate priced recorder collection sounds

    I have had similar thoughts

    In article <10cufulf2f73p57@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Randyman" <eatcrowspammer@execpc.com> wrote:

    > I'm looking for a tape or microdisc recorder which would give me stereo
    > compability; I would like to use it sometimes as a "portable" recorder to
    > collect sounds for use when I get going on my camcorder training this late
    > fall (learning on my own-for now). I'm waiting to see what the market might
    > bring as far as HD camcorders. If I bought a camcorder now it would be the
    > Sony DCR_VX2100 with a XLR Adapter box. I ordered the newest Adobe Audition
    > 1.5 Classroom in a Book which will be delivered sometime in July. I need a
    > recorder that can connect to my computer, and something below $1000. If I
    > need to go mono at first I will. I see the XLR microphones are expensive,
    > but I'll need then anyway when I get the camcorder. Could someone give me
    > an idea of a starter recorder with (type?)microphones(XLR). I would like to
    > collect sounds of cars, trains, crowds, wind, thunder, birds, etc. Are
    > there any cassette recorders that would do the job? Can a person build
    > their own parabolic microphone setup? Please talk "layman's speak". Any
    > particular computer audio card you might recommend for amateur video
    > production? I've got the Adobe Premiere Standard Video software; I also
    > own Photoshop CS and Illustrator 11. I was hoping newer camcorder
    > technology would be coming out this fall. My computer is up to video
    > processing, and I learn fast. I've got time on my hands because of some
    > disabilities. I'd like to keep the recorder price as low as possible. Any
    > help would be appreciated. Thanks---
    >
    > Sincerely -- Randyman

    As for the recorder, take a look at Marantz PMD-670. Solid state, mp2,
    mp3, PCM, Stereo XLR inputs etc. some USD 600. Transfer digitally, USB,
    CF-Card, TOS - no need for a sound card or computer when recording.

    AS for the microphones: There are people better qualified than me to
    recommend one. I use a Sennheiser K6/ME64 (there's a range of capsules
    to put on, from omni to gun).
    Forget cassette recorders. If it has to be cheaper, get a mini-Disc (no
    XLR, sorry).

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser
    (remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)

    Randyman wrote:

    > I'm looking for a tape or microdisc recorder which would give
    > me stereo compability

    Fostex FR2 is neat and offers decent sound quality, not the penultimate,
    but decent, somewhat better than the portable and temperamental DAT deck
    it replaces.

    > I'd like to keep the recorder price as low as possible.

    Will a sound recording device do? - or is a video contraption you should
    be looking for, your mention of video software raises that question.

    > Sincerely -- Randyman

    Kind regards

    Peter Larsen

    Thank you for the answers Marc and Peter! I was wondering how long the
    cables for the microphones should be for one of these small recorders?
    Should the mic have its own power? Would a portable preamp for the
    microphones be necessary for collecting ambient environmental sounds
    (trains, traffic, planes, crowds, street noises, birds, night sounds, etc),
    and would the cost be almost as much or more than the recorder? Would I want
    a long shotgun to point at a particular noise source? Would a dynamic type
    mic be best for what I want? I want to start collecting my own sounds for
    future video editing. Am I silly to wait until later this fall to see if
    Sony comes out with an HD proconsumer camcorder? Any rumors on Sony or
    Canon coming out with one later this year? Other wise I should just buy the
    DCR-VX2100 and get going on video. Thanks all--

    Sincerely --Randyman

    Randyman wrote:

    > Thank you for the answers Marc and Peter! I was wondering how long the
    > cables for the microphones should be for one of these small recorders?

    Balanced mic cables can be very long.

    > Should the mic have its own power? Would a portable preamp for the
    > microphones be necessary ....

    Here are the FR2 specs off of the fostex website:

    Recording industry standard, PC-compatible BWF files (stereo/mono) on a
    FAT32 media format

    Up to 24-bit/192kHz uncompressed recording

    Includes a unique 22.05kHz sampling frequency setting for extended
    recording

    Records to both Type II CompactFlash™ cards and PCMCIA 1.8” hard disk
    drives*1

    Fostex’s “File per Take” system with auto scene & take naming/increment

    Two balanced XLR microphone inputs with switchable phantom power and top
    quality, high headroom mic pre-amps

    132 x 64 dot matrix LCD screen for ease of use & high visibility in the
    field

    Uses AA-sized rechargeable NiMH batteries which are widely available due
    to the popularity of digital cameras. 8 AA cells will provide
    approximately 2.5 hours operation when recording to a CF card

    Easy file transfer to PC/Mac via PCMCIA, CF adaptor or standard on-board
    USB connection for data editing and/or backup*2

    Quick and easy on-board file naming or via external keyboard through
    standard USB keyboard port

    “Pre-record” loop buffer of approximately 10 seconds*3

    Easy software update via CF or PCMCIA card with downloads from the
    internet
    Optional timecode generator / reader card

    > for collecting ambient environmental sounds (trains, traffic,
    > planes, crowds, street noises, birds, night sounds, etc),

    Quite many of these sounds are available in sound libraries for the
    movie industry.

    > and would the cost be almost as much or more than the recorder?

    You seem to ask about something that somebody told you.

    > Would I want a long shotgun to point at a particular noise source?

    You will get better sound by going closer with an omni.

    > Would a dynamic type mic be best for what I want?

    I don't know whether Sennheiser still makes the MD211, but it could be a
    good choice. Mono is sometimes not a bad idea, but of course, if you
    need it for a stereo scenery it should be just that: stereo. Something
    like the Audio Technica AT825 might be useful for you. A pair of
    Sennheiser Evolution E664's are another option. If you can tolerate a
    probable treble oddity of some kind (peak around 10 kHz probably) then a
    product like ADK SC1 twinpack might be "just it", and the price is
    certainly right for something to learn sound recording with.

    > I want to start collecting my own sounds for
    > future video editing.

    OK, let us assume that you find the perfect steam calliope to record,
    surely having pictures too would make sense, such are not easy to find
    on the day you need them. Allow me to humbly suggest wearing hearing
    protection near such a contraption btw ....

    > Am I silly to wait until later this fall to see if Sony comes
    > out with an HD proconsumer camcorder? Any rumors on Sony or
    > Canon coming out with one later this year? Other wise I
    > should just buy the DCR-VX2100 and get going on video.

    Insufficient knowhow, so: no comments other than: it is probably not
    cost efficient for you to get a dedicated sound recording apparatus. No
    matter what, perhaps you should start with a good book about sound
    recording first.

    > Sincerely --Randyman

    Kind regards

    Peter Larsen