Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a small 255MB hard disk loaded with OS/2 that decided yesterday it will no longer boot :( I think the version of OS/2 on it is 2.x, but am not 100% sure.

I know absolutely nothing about OS/2, but really need to get this drive working again, since there is also a restaurant point of sales shell (called Squirrel) that runs over top of it.

I tried the Western Digital diagnostic software & it says the drive reports no errors. It does say that the cable may be faulty, but I tend to dismiss this since it reports a bad cable no matter how many different cables I tried (5).

If I use a dos bootdisk, I can see all the files on C:\, but have no clue where to proceed.

Thoughts/advice anyone?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd guilty intel proven innocent

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, if it's not the cable, but the drive works fine, it's either the hard drive controller or the PCB on the bottom of the drive that's starting to fail. Can you test the drive on another computer? Are you sure the BIOS settings are correct?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ya, the drive is seen properly in BIOS. I tried it in a couple of different boards (BX, i815) without success. If the MBR is bad, can I repair it with a software utility?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd guilty intel proven innocent

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly sure that the drives need to be set as "Normall" for smaller drives and "Large" for larger drives, but anything else, well, would require someone with more OS/2 experience.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?