There's a scracth on my RAM. Will this affect it?

G

Okay, I purchased some mememory that came with heatspreaders already installed. I decided that I really don't need them and I gently pried them all with a flat head screw driver. On one of the chips it appears that there is a small scratch on one of the chips. Would this make my memory not work? Or is the external part of the memory chip a cover of some sort?.

I would try to run memtest on the strip but I'm not at home right now and won't be able to install it 'til tommorrow.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
"Shmuck" seems about right...why the H*LL would you remove the heat-spreaders? To see what was under them? Because "I decided that I really don't need them" is the lamest excuse for idiotic curiosity I've heard in a long time: Look, mommy, I opened up the TV and saw all of these wires inside and pulled out some of them to see what would happen and now the TV won't work...Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

The chip packaging usually does provide some protection - you'd better hope. Next time use a condom - we wouldn't want to propagate the species with more of you.

OK, OK, I'm in a really foul mood - best of luck :lol:

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
damn, that was a bit uncalled for! but seriously , that wasnt too smart, unless there was a reason other than i dont really need them.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Harsh, I like it.

JK.

Tad harsh man, try and realize some people dont know better.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Yeah, I was a little harsh, wasn't I... Sorry, man - I was in a seriously foul mood.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, if the scratch is just on the ceramic chip package, it wont make any difference. the memory would work alright. if the scratch is too deep it might have damaged the thin layer of ceramic, those memory sticks have TSOP (Thin Small Outline Package) chips that are very delicate.

you shouldnt have removed the heat spreaders, they are there for a reason.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>