Built in Microphone does not work - Dell Studio 1535

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Hi, I have a Windows 7 64bit Dell Studio 1535. Recently, the microphone does not work. I'm not sure what to do since I can't "see" the device in device manager and I've downloaded a large number of drivers (anything audio related) but that does not seem to have fixed the issue.

All I know is that I have an "array" microphone but besides that, not so much. Am I missing drivers? Are the webcam and mic drivers the same? If so, my webcam works well, so should the mic? Faulty hardware?

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
I checked the mute levels already. It happens on every program, including sound recorder. Sometimes, I can hear a hissing sound, but that's really it (for some reason I have to input devices that show up). One of this gives a hiss if I record with it, the other one is completely silent.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Did your 1535 come with Windows 7, or was it the AMD counterpart to the Intel based 1525 or 1545? I have a 1525 that I had a devil of a time getting the bluetooth 365 working on. Have you tried looking for drivers for a 64 bit Vista or Windows 7 of like a 15R that came with the same sound setup? It might just be a compatibility problem between Dell's 1535 drivers and non native support for Windows 7. Try reinstalling the drivers and see if you get errors for the sound only.

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

The laptop came with Windows Vista 32bit. Intel t8100. I have looked for 64bit Vista drivers, but no luck. However, it worked fine under Windows 7 for over a year until maybe a couple months ago. I don't know what caused it to not work as I don't recall installing anything or uninstalling anything that had to do with webcam software.

I have reinstalled the drivers, but still no luck (assuming I got the right ones).

scottiemedic

Distinguished
What is your service tag on the bottom and I'll see what I can find for you (it doesn't give any personal info, just what components were originally installed). Should be a 6 to 8 digit code on the bottom of the laptop next to the Express code, which is 12/13 digits. For instance, mine is CPXSNF1. It will look like that.

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

I sent you a PM

scottiemedic

Distinguished
K, after going thru your system and such, I did a search for the same IDT Audio you have and quite a few other people were having this problem. I did find the following link on Dell's Community site. The third guy down seems to have fixed the IDT audio in Windows 7. I'm not EXACTLY sure this will alleviate the problem, but I'm guessing it has a strong possibility (they were having speaker problems but the driver for Windows 7 was always at the root). Go thru what he says explicitly and see if that helps. If not, we'll move on to plan whatever we are on :)

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19305336/19592633.aspx

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

So problem: I downloaded the utility to check the mobo information, but every time I try to run it, I get an error message saying that it needs administrator privileges. I'm already on an Admin account, regardless, I right clicked on it, and ran it as administrator. Still nothing :(

I ran the second driver installation anyways, and it didn't work.

Probably because I couldn't follow the directions on that post