which modem for linux?

G

i am soon to have a tri-boot system with WinMe, Win2k, and Linux mandrake 8.1. I need a modem that is supported by these 3 OSs. also, I have a "CNR" slot so if anybody could recomend a modem that would take up this slot rather then another "PCI" slot and support all 3 OSs, that would be great.

thanx

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Get an external serial port one. It's the safest option for Linux. There are a couple of PCI hardware modems around (good luck finding one tho'), but I dunno about CNR version. I've never even seen any for sale in my country. I think Lucent and maybe Rockwell HSF might be usable, but to make life easy, you need a hardware modem for Linux. Win-Modems = Bad. Check out <A HREF="http://www.linmodems.org" target="_new">www.linmodems.org</A>.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
winmodems aren't bad... they're very bad. very very bad. :smile:

There's a supported hardware link on the mandrake homepage...

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Don't even think about the Rockwell/Conexant HSF! I've got the HCF (which is better than the HSF - it's not just a basic dialer at least) and it doesn't work under RedHat 7.2.

CNR is virtually another word for software: Ports like ACR, CNR, etc. use your CPU resources with the help of software to do things and thus only operate under Windows (because they only write Windows drivers for them). Also you won't find a card that goes into these kinda ports. They're meant to be used by OEMS.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
While I agree with not using the HSF, there <i>is</i> a driver out there for it, but not for the HCF, so no, the HCF won't work under RH7.2 (or any other Linux distro). The HSF won't work "out of the box", and needs some playing with to get going, but AFAIK, it can be done.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think CNR is just a riser so any AMR/CNR modem will definitly be a software one. These ports were designed for cheeeeeep and cheeeeerful (not so) devices that allow the CPU to do most of the work.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>