How do i use my old wifi modem

Hello,
I now have a netcomm 3G wifi modem serving our house. No cables at all.

The netcomms addr is 10.0.0.138 and starts at 10.0.0.1 and ends at 10.0.0.137.

Lately i've added a Bluray player and an AV receiver both of which have network connections that require cabeling to a router.

In the cupboard i've had stored for 18months by old netgear B/G wifi modem that required a telephone line.

i've read the articles on this site but i get lost in trying to configure the netgear as a slave to the netcomm unit.

i'm told it cant be done, but i'm skeptical of that.

Would appreciate any help.
6 answers Last reply
More about wifi modem
  1. By slave, if you mean wireless access point or switch, then probably yes. If you mean wireless bridge, then maybe depending on the particular model of the Netgear router. Some routers will support a client bridge mode, or at least will support dd-wrt firmware, which will support bridge mode: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Check here to see if your router supports dd-wrt: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Netgear

Does your netcomm router have an LAN ports on the back? I assume that the answer is no and that is what you are trying to solve.
  2. Realbeast,

Thanks for the reply.

i've checked out dd-wrt and the Netgear DG834G is not supported.

My Netcomm has 4 LAN ports.

Regards
  3. You will need to connect the two via cable. Turn off DHCP on the netgear. Manually give it an IP 10.0.0.139. Same Subnet as netcomm and DNS + Gateway 10.0.0.138.
    Also use the same SSID and password as netcomm.
  4. ngrego said:
    You will need to connect the two via cable. Turn off DHCP on the netgear. Manually give it an IP 10.0.0.139. Same Subnet as netcomm and DNS + Gateway 10.0.0.138.
    Also use the same SSID and password as netcomm.

Thanks for the reply. However want I want to do - to put it in net gear terminology is to make the net gear a 'wi-fi bridge'. Ie connect the blu-ray & av centre by LAN cable to the bridge and then for the bridge to talk to the rest of the network via wi-fi.

I can't connect the 2 units by cable as they are rooms apart and I don't want to modify the building by installs cables.
  5. Most standard routers don't have a bridging feature, typically they can be used as routers or APs.
  6. Andrewt49 said:
    Realbeast,

Thanks for the reply.

i've checked out dd-wrt and the Netgear DG834G is not supported.

My Netcomm has 4 LAN ports.

Regards

Then you cannot do a bridge with the Netgear unit. Buy an inexpensive Linksys that can use dd-wrt and you can create a client bridge, which is what you need to span the wireless link and have ports to attach to the devices.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration WiFi Modem Wireless Networking