Sign in with
Your question

How do i use my old wifi modem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 20, 2012 12:40:33 AM

Hello,
I now have a netcomm 3G wifi modem serving our house. No cables at all.

The netcomms addr is 10.0.0.138 and starts at 10.0.0.1 and ends at 10.0.0.137.

Lately i've added a Bluray player and an AV receiver both of which have network connections that require cabeling to a router.

In the cupboard i've had stored for 18months by old netgear B/G wifi modem that required a telephone line.

i've read the articles on this site but i get lost in trying to configure the netgear as a slave to the netcomm unit.

i'm told it cant be done, but i'm skeptical of that.

Would appreciate any help.

More about : wifi modem

February 20, 2012 1:34:11 AM

By slave, if you mean wireless access point or switch, then probably yes. If you mean wireless bridge, then maybe depending on the particular model of the Netgear router. Some routers will support a client bridge mode, or at least will support dd-wrt firmware, which will support bridge mode: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Check here to see if your router supports dd-wrt: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#...

Does your netcomm router have an LAN ports on the back? I assume that the answer is no and that is what you are trying to solve.
m
l
February 28, 2012 7:59:57 PM

Realbeast,

Thanks for the reply.

i've checked out dd-wrt and the Netgear DG834G is not supported.

My Netcomm has 4 LAN ports.

Regards
m
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 8:13:02 AM

You will need to connect the two via cable. Turn off DHCP on the netgear. Manually give it an IP 10.0.0.139. Same Subnet as netcomm and DNS + Gateway 10.0.0.138.
Also use the same SSID and password as netcomm.
m
l
March 3, 2012 7:26:16 PM

ngrego said:
You will need to connect the two via cable. Turn off DHCP on the netgear. Manually give it an IP 10.0.0.139. Same Subnet as netcomm and DNS + Gateway 10.0.0.138.
Also use the same SSID and password as netcomm.

Thanks for the reply. However want I want to do - to put it in net gear terminology is to make the net gear a 'wi-fi bridge'. Ie connect the blu-ray & av centre by LAN cable to the bridge and then for the bridge to talk to the rest of the network via wi-fi.

I can't connect the 2 units by cable as they are rooms apart and I don't want to modify the building by installs cables.

m
l
March 3, 2012 8:59:49 PM

Most standard routers don't have a bridging feature, typically they can be used as routers or APs.
m
l
March 3, 2012 10:40:29 PM

Andrewt49 said:
Realbeast,

Thanks for the reply.

i've checked out dd-wrt and the Netgear DG834G is not supported.

My Netcomm has 4 LAN ports.

Regards

Then you cannot do a bridge with the Netgear unit. Buy an inexpensive Linksys that can use dd-wrt and you can create a client bridge, which is what you need to span the wireless link and have ports to attach to the devices.
m
l
!