Graphics card for i7-3770 + gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingashen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I'm currently looking in to building my first gaming PC. I've decided on the INTEL Core i7-3770K CPU and I'm going to pair it with the Intel BOXDZ77GAL-70K LGA 1155 OR GIGABYTE Z77MX-D3H Motherboard LGA 1155

I understand the CPU has integrated HD 4000 graphics however I planned on adding a separate graphics card anyway.

I'm looking to spend between $100-$200, (if at all possible)

Anyone have any suggestions based on experience? I understand there's a lot of expert opinion however I'm not looking for a battle with who has the best product.

I just need facts. What works well, price, and reviews based on experience.

I appreciate any and all assistance with this request.

Sincerely,
Dingashen

Solution

Go with the sapphire Vapor X cards as they have the best cooling you could possibly have with air and a heat dissipater for AMD cards that is.

pauls3743

Distinguished
The i7 - you really only need the hyperthreading of the i7 if you're planning on doing video/picture editing. If it's just general gaming and office stuff then I would look to the i5-3570K and save your pennies for a better graphics card.

The graphics card - if you're not planning on playing games I wouldn't bother with one, I would stick with the onboard graphics. However, if you do plan on gaming then the GTX660 is a good start.

oxiide

Distinguished
For $100-200 the very best you'll be able to afford is the Radeon HD 7850 or Geforce GTX 660 (non-Ti).

But the facts are that we cannot properly recommend a card for you without knowing what resolution monitor you want to run with this card, and the make/model/wattage of your power supply. The aforementioned GTX 660 and HD 7850 are appropriate for 1080p gaming, but if you have a smaller monitor they're more than you need.

The i7 - you really only need the hyperthreading of the i7 if you're planning on doing video/picture editing.
Not really even then. Whether a program takes enough advantage of hyperthreading to make an i7 worth it depends entirely on the program itself. Even if you can make good use of it, I'd only recommend an i7 to a professional. The rest of us can save $100 and wait an extra two minutes for a render.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
I'm currently looking in to building my first gaming PC. I've decided on the INTEL Core i7-3770K CPU and I'm going to pair it with the Intel BOXDZ77GAL-70K LGA 1155 OR GIGABYTE Z77MX-D3H Motherboard LGA 1155

I understand the CPU has integrated HD 4000 graphics however I planned on adding a separate graphics card anyway.

I'm looking to spend between $100-$200, (if at all possible)

Anyone have any suggestions based on experience? I understand there's a lot of expert opinion however I'm not looking for a battle with who has the best product.

I appreciate any and all assistance with this request.

Sincerely,
Dingashen

Don't get the intel motherboard, they are generally crap, and usually have very limited bios for overclocking and such.

For gaming, get the 3570k save the $100 for a better graphics card.

So with the new $200 - $300 budget you can get something nice for gaming.

Gigabyte 7950

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-795WF3G&c=CJ

ASUS 660 ti

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-660TC2G&c=CJ

Dingashen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
That helps- I apologize for not giving more details...

I would not consider my self a professional however,

I will be GAMING on this computer (Skyrim, Assassins Creed)
I will be EDITING CREATING/VIDEO on this computer.

@Maxalge: I will take the advice about the INTEL MOBO being crap and pass on that one... I'll also look into the 3570K instead of the 3770K and pair it with the better video card.

@oxiide: resolution/monitor: ( I switch back and forth between them)
1)Widescreen 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 on 22"-24" LCD Monitor
2)Widescreen 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 on 47" VIZIO LCD MONITOR

Power Supply : SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply -
(I'm open to suggestions if this isn't a good choice for power supply)

I greatly appreciate all your help and advice...

oxiide

Distinguished

At 1080p or 1920x1200, you're going to want at least a Radeon HD 7850 or Geforce GTX 660. Both perform similarly, but the HD 7850 is cheaper and would be my recommendation. Its not a matter of "AMD being better" or whatever, its just that AMD's got a more cost-effective product at this performance bracket. I'm a Nvidia guy if I'm anything.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html <-- Tom's buyers' guide agrees.

Back to the i7: Its your call, really. My personal opinion is that if you're not literally making money off of video editing, that extra $100 is a hard sell. The i5 is already a really, really strong quad-core, and at worst you're looking at a few extra minutes to wait around. The i7 is virtually identical to the i5 in gaming though, so this is almost purely a video editing thing.

Dingashen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

I understand...I'm going to have to contemplate the i7 or i5, budget is not the issue. But I get what your saying, and appreciate the info.

For the GPU:

What would you say about this one:

Gigabyte's GeForce GTX 660 (GV-N660OC-2GD
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-3.html

or one of the other two you previously suggested...

Gigabyte 7950
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.ph [...] 5WF3G&c=CJ

ASUS 660 ti
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.ph [...] 0TC2G&c=CJ

For a little bit more money??? In the long run, I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks if the difference merits.

oxiide

Distinguished

I didn't mention those because they're substantially over the budget you mentioned. This is a wayyy smarter place to put that extra $100 (rather than the i7) since the HD 7950 will definitely translate into meaningful performance. The 7850/660 are "enough" for 1080p, but these are of course even better.

The HD 7950 is definitely a better choice here imo, you can get it for the same price as the cheapest 660 Ti's, but its also generally faster at high-res, high-antialiasing settings as well due to its excellent memory performance. The GTX 670 is probably the first Geforce card I'd recommend at the moment. A lot of 7950's are under $300 after rebate.

Dingashen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Ok...that all makes sense. I don't mind spending $$$ if it means longevity.

From what your saying it looks like i need to decide on the HD 7950 or the GTX 670.

I'm just torn with all the reviews about the GTX 670 being a better choice, albeit a little more money. I guess the 7950 gets rave reviews as well.

I'm leaning towards the HD 7950 as of now and I think that is the one I'll go with. The next decision is whether to go with GIGABYTE or SAPPHIRE?

Go with the sapphire Vapor X cards as they have the best cooling you could possibly have with air and a heat dissipater for AMD cards that is.

Solution

Dingashen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Oh wow...you're right. I knew they would be rolling out the new tech, but I was trying NOT to think about that. Ok If I do not wait 6-8 months to see the new ish..

I'm going with the Sapphire Vapor X 7950 if I don't wait for the new tech.

To wait or not to wait...That is the question....

Status
Not open for further replies.