Help!!! VideoCard for DV

G

Hey Guys...I would really appreciate some help on this. I am getting a new system--probably Athalon XP 1800 range. I have every component figured out except the video card. I have a Sony VX2000 3chip DV Cam and in the past have edited at a friends house. However, I would like to start doing editing at my own house. I know that there is an ATI All in Wonder board out there that is about $340 and is supposed to be great for capturing video, but I am not sure. Can anybody give me some advice on what I should do for a video card and what to buy? I dont want to loose any quality in the transfer from the camera to computer and vice versa so I think Firewire is what I need. Help!

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Maybe you should have posted this in the "graphics cards" section?

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Since it's a DV Camera, you don't really need a special video card to do video editing. All you need is a firewire card.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Although I have not used it yet, the Radeon AIW 8500-D does have a firewire port on it, and should do a good job capturing video, If you want to use a cheaper solution and do not intend on playing highend games any time soon, get the Radeon AIW 7500 and a separate PCI firewire card, or one of the new Creative Audigy cards. This will give you a cheaper system and allow you to spend $$ on other preformance features. For Digital Video editing, I highly recommend that you get 1-3 40-50 GB drives and integrate them into a RAID area using a ATA133 Controler card. (I use Promise's)this will speed up the transfer rate and allow you to increase preformance more than gettting a faster processor. The Bottleneck on most machines when doing digital video is not the processor or ram, but the HD's a RAID array 1 will help lower that bottleneck. ( I saw an increase in preformce by 33% by upgrading to XP and setting up the RAID Array from Windows ME)
Here are my System Specs:
Tyan Trinity 400 Motherboard
Pentium 1 Ghz 133
512 MB of PC 133 Ram
ATI AIW Radeon AGP
(1) Maxtor 30 GB ATA100 HD
Promise ATA133 IDE controler
(2) Maxtor 40 GB ATA133 HD (I have these two in a software RAID Array using Windows XP)
Creative 12X DVDROM drive
TDK 24X10X40 CDRW drive
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Value
Windows XP PRO

If it works for you then don't fix it.