How should you mic a musical saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi

OK, I already posted this to the live sound group but figure maybe the
studio/recording folks might have different insights or experience.

I run sound for a mostly acoustic quasi-open mic situation and thus
do on the fly, limited sound check, setups.
This weekend a group showed up with a musical saw player in place
of their more typical fiddler.
[ For what it's worth, the rest of that group consisted of a banjo,
mountain dulcimer, guitar, and dog house bass. ]

First time I've ever mic'd a saw! I still don't have a clue about the
radiation pattern of one of these things.

For what it's worth:
I ended up with the mic in front at about handle level pointing up and
slightly in. The mic I had on stage at the time was a beta 57.
Seems I had to pull everything else on stage down to get the saw into
the mix, and even then the level was a little low.

Anyone have any tips on how to mic these things? I'd like to be ready
next time...

Ron Capik
NJ Pinelands Cultural Society
< www.AlbertHall.org >

Ummm, ooops wrong news group.
....but feel free to answer anyway. :)

Later...

Ron Capik

Ron Capik wrote:

> Ummm, ooops wrong news group.

No no no, you ask about a technical implement that is required to build
boxes for loudspeakers so that various statements about their behaviour
at different levels of iput power can be verified. This is on topic and
to the point.

> ...but feel free to answer anyway. :)

Cardioid condenser about a foot away seems to be the only valid "on
stage" option. For recording a good "first bet" is "the size of the
instrument away". You could try taping a small cardioid condenser to the
handle pointing along the blade ... just an idea, not tested.

Peter Larsen wrote:

> Ron Capik wrote:
>
> > Ummm, ooops wrong news group.
>
> No no no, you ask about a technical implement that is required to build
> boxes for loudspeakers so that various statements about their behaviour
> at different levels of iput power can be verified. This is on topic and
> to the point.

Yes, yes I do know better. I noticed I was in the wrong group after
I hit send; 'tis why the intro says "...studio/recording folk."
[ The request has been properly re-posted to rap. ]

> > ...but feel free to answer anyway. :)
>
> Cardioid condenser about a foot away seems to be the only valid "on
> stage" option. For recording a good "first bet" is "the size of the
> instrument away". You could try taping a small cardioid condenser to the
> handle pointing along the blade ... just an idea, not tested.

Thanks. If there's a next time with the saw I plan to spend some time in
the warm up room checking out potential mic placement. Maybe clip
on an ATM-35 or an AKG-419 ...or some such.

Thanks.

Ron Capik