Overheating pny 550gtx

sejohnso21

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I have a problem with my Pny GeForce 550gtx ti Xlr8. I guess its called throttling or bottle necking... once I start a game I get great fps, like I should... about 5 minutes into it my card starts over heating... "90c+". Not even graphics intense games, diablo2 on medium...I should be able to run that on ultra easily with my set up. I ran afterburner and turned the fan up full blast still no luck... , checked card its clean... no dust, i have antec lanboy so airflow is superb. I checked bios and for the little I know everything looked ok, driver swept old files, re installed new ones... i don't understand. I do know its a over heating problem though. SPECS

700w psu (silver cert)
2500k, heatsink dbl fans
160gb ssd
16gb corsair veng
asus z68-v le motherboard
windows 7

please help!

sincerely, sad gamer.

Bad fan placement on the card or bad thermal paste or it's just a crappy card. I assume it's out of warranty, so you can try taking off the fan and cleaning the heatsink and chip and reapplying new thermal paste. It doesn't matter how fast or good or clean the fan is, if it's not making good contact to the heatsink, that heat is staying trapped in the chip and the fan's can't pull it away.

Answer your question?

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Uninstall card then uninstall the heat sink and fan on the card an inspect for anything that looks out of place or questionable. After that if heat sink looks ok then proceed to clean heatsink and fan with some compressed air. After that clean both the gpu surface as well as heatsink surface with some rubbing alcohol and reaplly thermal past and reassemble heat sink to card. Reinstall card and monitor temps to see if the normalize to within factory spec. If problem persists put that $20 gift card towards a decent gpu.

sejohnso21

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
So I took off the heatsink... and wow did PNY really sacrifice much for this thing. This has to be the most pathetic heatsink's i've ever seen, worse than stock CPU sinks. The thermal paste was bone dry(card not even 6 months old and not put through much of anything) which makes me believe this card sat in a warehouse for a year or so. temps are running cooler right now, testing it will let you know.

Could just be a crappy chip then that is running way too hot. You could look into an aftermarket heatsink/fan, but that may not solve it either if it's the chip itself. Sometimes the thermdiode inside of them goes wonky, and reports that's hot when it's cool.

I fix 360's and PS3's all day, and I've seen a few GPU's and CPU's in consoles like that. Run cool, great cool, chip isn't hot but the system shuts down because it "thinks" it's overheating, and some that are overheating no matter what kind of cooling you do to it.

sejohnso21

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

^ on that note... if I have been using this card for 6 months... and if it runs 90-100c+ (after just minutes of gaming) and has been since i had it... it probably should have died by now right? So it very likely could be giving faulty numbers? Idk...Well I think im just going to max overclock it and get what i can out of it... kinda done with this pos.