Does a higher clocked card matter when water cooling?

If I were two water cool 2 680s or 2 7970s and overclock them as high as possible, would the performance differ between reference cards and superclocked versions?
3 answers Last reply
More about does higher clocked card matter water cooling
  1. Yea the factory OC cards are better because if they fail its on the manufactures pocket... but the reference and u OC its on ur pocket
  2. ^That's... no.

He's talking about taking the heatsink off and replacing it with a watercooling shroud, which I highly, HIGHLY doubt is covered in ANYONE's warranty... except perhaps EVGA, but that's just a guess.

OP, the only difference would be that the superclocked cards might be higher binned - I know it's true for the 7970 GHz editions. That means you'll hit a slightly higher overclock, but I don't know if it's $50 more each card worth of higher overclock.

As for buying two 680s, don't do it. A 680 is only 5% faster at STOCK than a 670... that goes down to 3% after overclocking both on air, and it'll be even less on water. That's nowhere NEAR worth $100 to $150 more per card.

By the way, what is this going to be used for? If it's triple monitor gaming, go with the 7970's; if you buy 670s, you'll need the 4GB versions. If it's not triple monitor gaming, I'm sorry, but you're being a bloody fool; a single overclocked, air cooled 670 or 7950 will max out any game out there.
  3. I plan to run a triple monitor setup.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Water Cooling Performance Graphics