Establishing gateway

46hand

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I live in a mother-in-law unit in a 2 story house, and the wireless router upstairs provides an awful signal downstairs and on the back porch. My landlord agreed to install a more powerful router (at my expense) and let me take the old one downstairs. I would like to use the old one as a gateway (terminology?) downstairs to accommodate components of my home theater system.
Ideally, I would like to take the new router (Netgear N600) upstairs and connect directly to the mode, and the old (Linksys WRT54G2) downstairs, and use the two in tandem, wirelessly, to establish a wired connection for my PC and (non-WiFi capable) Xbox.
I found one article that looked like it may have been helpful, but it was not specific to my platforms, and it was not sufficiently clear/elaborate in the directions it gave.
I understand I should set the master IP to 192.168.1.1, and the slave to 192.168.1.99; make SSID uniform, and set DHCP "off" on the slave unit. Beyond that, it gets a little fuzzy for me.
I am sick of the ~80' CAT 6 cable currently routed to a jack in my room, and the supplemental 10' cable crossing my room to my PC station...
Help out?

RealBeast

Titan
What you are looking to do is use the Linksys in client bridge mode. Here is a guide: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/step-by-step-guide-to-setup-a-wrt54g-in-client-bridge-mode.2336/

Using a gateway IP of 192.168.1.1 on the "main" router, any address outside the main router DHCP assignment range will work on the bridge router -- so let's say 192.168.1.2, then allow the main router to assign 192.168.1.3 to .254 as DHCP addresses. And yes, the DHCP on the bridge router should be off, same SSID (case sensitive).