The variation in quality of CD pressings

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 19, 2004 12:29:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,alt.music-lover.audiophile.hardware,rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

I am looking for PC software that can analyse an audio CD and then
display a graph of the frequency range of a track.

I am interested in being able to determine if one album (say the new
Faithless album) from different factories have different sonic
characteristics - especially if the sound is compressed to sound good on
lesser systems.

Any pointers would help.

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 12:29:52 AM

"Victor" <victor@victor.net> wrote in message
> I am looking for PC software that can analyse an audio CD and then
> display a graph of the frequency range of a track.
>
> I am interested in being able to determine if one album (say the new
> Faithless album) from different factories have different sonic
> characteristics - especially if the sound is compressed to sound good
> on lesser systems.
>
> Any pointers would help.

Audition, AKA Cool Edit, includes a spectrum analyzer that can report the
spectral content of a recording of any reasonable length with resolution per
up 65K point FFT with a number of different windowing methods.

This software will exact the audio information from the CD, provide you with
the analysis, and allows you to compare the results from different
recordings.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 2:24:43 AM

Victor wrote:
> I am looking for PC software that can analyse an audio CD and then
> display a graph of the frequency range of a track.
>
> I am interested in being able to determine if one album (say the new
> Faithless album) from different factories have different sonic
> characteristics - especially if the sound is compressed to sound good on
> lesser systems.
>
> Any pointers would help.
>
> Thanks.

What you ask would not be very easy. You would essentially have to lock
up the two recordings in perfect sync to do it. ANd since you don't have
time code or such, it would be a challenge.

Assuming you COULD do that, you could use SIA Smart Live in transfer
function mode to compare one channel to another. This would give you a
real time display of the difference between the two.

Bob

June 19, 2004 7:40:40 PM

Victor wrote:
> I am looking for PC software that can analyse an audio CD and then
> display a graph of the frequency range of a track.
>
> I am interested in being able to determine if one album (say the new
> Faithless album) from different factories have different sonic
> characteristics - especially if the sound is compressed to sound good
> on lesser systems.

If you want to look at 'pressing quality' you need a Plextor Premium CD-RW
and PlexTools Pro software (free with drive).

If you mean "recording quality" then want you are wanting to do is pretty
bizzare. There is no effort involved in getting essentially identical data
onto a CD from completely disparate manufacturers. And even if not, it is
not going to show up as a different in frequency response or dymanics. Disc
manufacturers do not remaster the music.

For those differences you are looking at different *mastering* of the same
mix, or completely different mixes. Again, CD factories are not where the
mastering happens, , if their QC is dodgy, it aint going to show up in a
spectrum analyser.

geoff
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 8:59:09 PM

Victor wrote:
> I am interested in being able to determine if one album (say the new
> Faithless album) from different factories have different sonic
> characteristics - especially if the sound is compressed to sound good on
> lesser systems.

That's a great album.

--
Now Playing: 15 Faithless - No Roots - Mass Destruction (Single Version)
[212kbps mp3]