Fresh build, few questions about GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctaaaWill

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hey there folks, finally got everything built but now i need to choose a gpu(s).

i7 3770k @ 3.5 (for now until the H100 comes in)
MSI Z77A-GD65
SeaSonic X750w 80 Plus Gold
8gb GSkill Ram

Right now my budget is $500-700 depending on what would be needed..
I play on a single 1920 x 1080 monitor, no plans for multi monitor may upgrade a to a slightly better resolution, not for sometime though.

I want to play anything i choose at 60fps on ultra with very little minor tweaks in settings. This being said my current games id like to try as i switch from console to pc are:
Borderlands 2
Metro 2033
Crysis Series
Far Cry 3
and anything else that sparks my interest. Just want to be prepared.

I was looking at getting two Gigabyte 7950 and throwing them in Crossfire.

I also have the opportunity to check out for the same price (650 or less if you guys feel its worth less) two 7970s, one Gigabyte one Asus. From the looks of it they look like reference cards to me...
Check out the posting.

I wasnt sure if these cards were worth it seeing as they are (mismatched, reference possibly, and 6 months old from the P.O who claims no oc's were performed). Where as i could get brand new 7950s with warranty and i believe better cooling on board to allow me to clock up to a 7970. Same price but idk kinda risky going used.

Or should i go nvidia? After reading through a bunch the past couple days it seems that amd has won this battle performance x cost... but im always open for anything.

Current gpu is intel on board graphics hah. Heading to frys or newegg will-call tomorrow would love some feedback :D

Solution
I personally would get the 2 7950s.

Reason:

1. I don't trust used parts much
2. Better cooling, provided you have proper airflow in your case. The Gigabyte cooler will dump most of the heat inside the case, I'm sure you're aware of this.

Two 7950/7970 sounds nice, but to be honest they make more sense if you're gaming at triple 1080p or 2560x1440/1600. But since you have the money, there's not much problem.

EzioAs

Distinguished
I personally would get the 2 7950s.

Reason:

1. I don't trust used parts much
2. Better cooling, provided you have proper airflow in your case. The Gigabyte cooler will dump most of the heat inside the case, I'm sure you're aware of this.

Two 7950/7970 sounds nice, but to be honest they make more sense if you're gaming at triple 1080p or 2560x1440/1600. But since you have the money, there's not much problem.

Solution

DoctaaaWill

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Sounds great, thanks for the quick reply!
And yeah about the heat that is what i was assuming. Any tips on how i could have nice airflow in the case? Im using a HAF 932 Advanced. There is a side panel fan i could direct to blow outside the case, would that keep me relatively cool?

EDIT: 670 over 7950 cross? or 670 sli?

I totally disagree. Side intake is better. I use front intake and side intake with rear exhaust.

This cools my GPU. mostly from my side intake

Always good to test things. I totally agree. I did and found side intake to be incredible. It cooled things down much better than front intake. Side intake is a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.