Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Upgrading GT 9600 1Gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 23, 2013 3:03:43 AM

Hello,
Can anyone suggest which is best video card I can purchase with this specs

Mother board: Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G
CPU: Q9550 2.83GHZ
RAM: 4GB DDR800
OS: Window vista 32bit
PSU: Mercury 650W

Im planning to use it as for gaming, right now im playing Dragon Age Origin, and plan to play Skyrim. Can I ask if GT660 will not bottle neck my CPU? And do I need to upgrade also my PSU for this Video card? Thanks in advance

More about : upgrading 9600 1gb

a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:13:41 AM

You May want to take a good look at that power supply you have there, Mercury is not the best known brand of power supply.

My concern is this it may start to play up if you intend to put something like a GT660 Card in.

Have a check on the power draw of the new card and how many amps it requires to run stable, and its peak wattage draw from the the 12v power rails of the mercury PSU.
Just a bit of advice.

As for the question of bottle neck maybe someone else can shed light on that question. Saying that you have a Quad core Cpu so at a rough guess you may get away with it.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:18:29 AM

Yea the Q9550 was a quad core.. good chip for 775. But its aged a bit. a 500 series wouldn't be a bad upgrade..or you could get a GT 640 if your worried of power draw and the 640 wouldn't be much of a bottleneck.. but problem is.. you have vista.. not entirely sure how the latest drivers work all that well with Vista
Score
0
Related resources
January 23, 2013 3:19:29 AM

Thanks weaselman for reply, Its ok eitherway Im planning to upgrade my power supply also, but do you have any suggestion to which video card is probably compatible my specs right now?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:20:23 AM

My choice would be hd 7850 without bottlenecking much.you need to get new psu for sure.If you want gtx 660 then get cpu cooler as you have to overclock that cpu to 3.6ghz.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:25:03 AM

You need to read what the wattage output is for the 12v rails be it single or dual rail PSU.
It should tell you the total watts output, and the amp output of each 12v rail.
You will find it on the Psu on a sticker. Once you have these at hand. pick a card and then do a google search of the card name, and model number with power requirements.
All cards List these then you can work out if your current Psu will keep up, and keep the system stable, on the intended card you wish to fit in the Pc as an upgrade ok. I cannot say till you post the specs of the Mercury psu first so it would help. Then you could do a list what card you could run with the system as it stands with that Psu fitted.

Score
0
January 23, 2013 3:29:27 AM

Hi ASHISH65,

Can you suggest which PSU would suit best for HD7850?
Also I heard that theirs some issue with the AMD GPU in some games like skyrim and Assasins Creed!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:38:22 AM

Its a know problem with what is called Micro stutter light, Amd are working on it with new drivers, its been around for a bit now and well known.

Measured power consumption R7850
12v Amp draw from the 12v power rail required 21 Amps
System in IDLE = 160W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 256W
500W power supply minimum recommended.

You still have to factor in some way what the rest of the system needs also for it to run stable, so if you can go for a 550w or 600 to be safe.
If you have the money a corsair, Ocz, or silver stone are good.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...

Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:50:36 AM

Get corsair cx 500w for hd 7850.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 3:55:01 AM

weaselman said:
Its a know problem with what is called Micro stutter light, Amd are working on it with new drivers, its been around for a bit now and well known.

Measured power consumption R7850
12v Amp draw from the 12v power rail required 21 Amps
System in IDLE = 160W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 256W
500W power supply minimum recommended.

You still have to factor in some way what the rest of the system needs also for it to run stable, so if you can go for a 550w or 600 to be safe.
If you have the money a corsair, Ocz, or silver stone are good.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...



Great info for PSU I might go for Corsair just I'll check if its available in UAE ^_^, it really helps a lot weaselman, so for Nvidia can you suggest?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 4:01:13 AM

For even gtx 660 corsair 500w is enough.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 4:09:49 AM

I have a q9550/775 I use for gaming. not until FarCry3 came along did I have problems with gaming.

I run a 2gig 6950. A gtx660 or above would be a good card. Something with 2gigs of vram, no less..............


you should have mentioned monitor resolution, and what is the exact power supply and amperage?

Score
0
January 23, 2013 4:17:47 AM

ASHISH65 said:
For even gtx 660 corsair 500w is enough.


But somebody suggest that my current spec right now will have issue with gts660, for now I dont have plan on OC my CPU, for normal setting 500 series for nvdia, but for AMD HD7850 would it be fine in my normal setting in CPU?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 4:20:43 AM

that's GTX660 NOT a gt card. and NOT a 650 and don't waste money on a 560, any 560 or any 500 series card. might as well mail your money to me.............. hmm, sounds like a good idea.

don't worry about over clocking.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 5:00:34 AM

See for gtx 660 you need to overclock cpu for cpu intensive games.for normal settings at stock get hd 7850
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 5:16:58 AM

what are you talking about? I run mine at stock and all is good ( except FC3 )..........
Score
0

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 5:26:08 AM

I am talking about bottleneck dear.like in games gtx 660 is capable of giving 60fps at ultra but with that cpu it will be around 40-45fps.so in this way his cpu will hold back so he has overclock the cpu to gain fps.
Share
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 5:49:07 AM

i realize that if the processor is overclocked more performance will be gained. that's true with any system.

the only real move after a new card is to upgrade the main components. not something i think the OP is ready to do.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 2:14:48 PM

ASHISH65 said:
See for gtx 660 you need to overclock cpu for cpu intensive games.for normal settings at stock get hd 7850


Ashish65
Just want to know by using this Hd7850 on my current cpu, would I meet some error? And if you can suggest of equivalent in Nvidia so I have option, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 2:18:18 PM

swifty_morgan said:
that's GTX660 NOT a gt card. and NOT a 650 and don't waste money on a 560, any 560 or any 500 series card. might as well mail your money to me.............. hmm, sounds like a good idea.

don't worry about over clocking.


Sorry typo error GTS i mean GTX660........ ;) 
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 2:19:31 PM

whats ur budget for a new powersupply+card?

mercury sounds like a horrible generic brand.

wouldnt trust that with my life.

Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 2:21:04 PM

There will be no error for using hd 7850 2gb in your pc.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 2:25:07 PM

iceclock said:
whats ur budget for a new powersupply+card?

mercury sounds like a horrible generic brand.

wouldnt trust that with my life.


Budget not issue as long as its not Over killed specs...
^_^
Dont want to spend to much neither dont want to make cheap out of it....
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 2:28:24 PM

give me a price.

Score
0
January 23, 2013 2:37:46 PM

iceclock said:
give me a price.


Approximate $400........
For PSU-videocard...
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 2:38:17 PM

If budget not issue then get gtx 660 + cpu cooler and overclock cpu and enjoy gaming.also if in future you upgrade your cpu then gtx 660 will be great.think dude.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 2:46:43 PM

ASHISH65 said:
If budget not issue then get gtx 660 + cpu cooler and overclock cpu and enjoy gaming.also if in future you upgrade your cpu then gtx 660 will be great.think dude.



CPU cooler!!!!
>.<
Question!!!
I dont have idea about this thing can you suggest something?
Same with OC?
How to OC my cpu?
As for now I would prefer HD7850. But for my PSU?
Would it be enough?
Mercury 650, and I think its only 10A and im using it for 5yrs, although changing would'nt be a problem also.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 2:57:59 PM

You have to upgrade your psu for hd 7850.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:01:41 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8Z4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8Z4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8Z4/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0596 88.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $370.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 12:01 EST-0500)

here a cooler to overclock ur cpu. newram. gpu. ps :) 

Base Total: $400.95
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Total: $370.95

Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:13:44 PM

+ 1 ^.you can overclock the cpu in bios.you can create thread in overclocking section and there will you get help.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 3:16:35 PM

yep. im not overclocker but there some that know the stuff in that section.

Score
0
January 23, 2013 7:09:00 PM

Huge thanks to all that suggest ^_^, I think for now I need another thread for OC 0.0, but love to start checking for your suggestion on this 7850 or 660, and for this PSU XFX 650w, i need to go back to work.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:16:56 PM

cool
Score
0
January 24, 2013 12:05:16 PM

iceclock said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8Z4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8Z4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8Z4/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0596 88.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $370.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 12:01 EST-0500)

here a cooler to overclock ur cpu. newram. gpu. ps :) 

Base Total: $400.95
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Total: $370.95



By the way, which country only this Newegg accept delivery? I think their price is really reasonable.
Score
0
January 24, 2013 12:11:46 PM

Best answer selected by light__.
Score
0
!