Sign in with
Your question

What are some cheap (or the cheapest you know) DVID to VGA converters?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • VGA
  • DVI D
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 3:25:29 AM

So I have a Graphics card that needs to be connected to a DVI-D cord and my monitor is VGA. I learned the hard way that the cheap adapters do not work, and I now know I need full on converters. I realize these fetch quite a hefty price, but does anyone know some that are considered "cheap" in the world of HDMI/DVI-D to VGA converters?

Thanks a lot!

More about : cheap cheapest dvid vga converters

a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 5:14:37 AM

Hmm they all look the same to me pal. Try newegg you should be able to get one that works for $5
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 7:21:38 AM

Its only when converting to or from Displayport do you need to really worry about the converter.
DVI to VGA adapters are pretty cheap since they both have analogue signals in them (though given the chance DVI will use a digital signal). When converting from DVI to VGA all you are doing is changing the shape of the connector.
m
l
Related resources
a c 165 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 12:03:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the GPU? I haven't heard of many without DVI-I, DP++, or VGA on them.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 12:04:24 PM

Are you sure you need a DVI-D? Most GPUs ship with DVI-I ports on them.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 12:19:21 PM

Correct chalk, sort of. DVI-A and DVI-I will handle the adapter just fine. A DVI-D will not. A and I both contain the analog pins, but DVI-D doesn't. It's digital only. If your GPU only has DVI-D ports, the adapter won't work. Which is why I was asking if s/he's sure s/he needs that adapter as most cards ship with DVI-I on them.

Edit: For anyone confused on this scroll down to the connector info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
m
l
January 23, 2013 1:01:50 PM

As you stated you will need a true digital to analog video converter for correct functionality. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they a offer a DVI-D to VGA converters( Part # SCA-DVI-ANA).
m
l
!