Radeon HD 7870 Tahiti LE help

Status
Not open for further replies.

peer_o

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I am quite new to this gaming pc thing, so I have a few questions to ask the community. I am using GPU Monitor to check my graphics card. I have question about the GPU load, video memory, and fan speed. When should I be worried about these numbers? I have never had the fan speed go about about 35%, but the GPU load often shoots to 100% while playing games like Starcraft 2. Also, the video memory tab says i am only ever utilizing about 30% of it. Should I be worried about any of this stuff? Is this behavior normal for my graphics card? Should I be using something different to monitor my GPU. I do like that this appears as a desktop gadget. I apologize for these novice questions, btu I am a bit anxious about it. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Solution
I personally use MSI afterburner to monitor my GPU in game, as it tells me everything i need to and can use it to overclock if you are interested. You should never have to worry about your VRAM when playing games unless you are playing heavily modded games or are on a multi monitor display. As for your GPU load, if you ever see it go below 90% then u are most likely being bottle-necked by your processor. If you feel that your GPU is running hot then you can up the fan speed if needed. I generally found that on my GPU (7950) that 65% fan speed is the sweet spot for my GPU in terms of Noise versus Coolong performance. All gpus have a fanspeed sweet spot that the user, such as yourself, can find through a 5 min or so trial and error with...
I personally use MSI afterburner to monitor my GPU in game, as it tells me everything i need to and can use it to overclock if you are interested. You should never have to worry about your VRAM when playing games unless you are playing heavily modded games or are on a multi monitor display. As for your GPU load, if you ever see it go below 90% then u are most likely being bottle-necked by your processor. If you feel that your GPU is running hot then you can up the fan speed if needed. I generally found that on my GPU (7950) that 65% fan speed is the sweet spot for my GPU in terms of Noise versus Coolong performance. All gpus have a fanspeed sweet spot that the user, such as yourself, can find through a 5 min or so trial and error with CCC or MSi afterburner.

Solution

peer_o

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Oh, so my graphics card is doing its job? At what temperature should I be worried about my GPU temp?

EzioAs

Distinguished
Personally, I wouldn't want to see temps hit more than 75c during gaming, even though it's still safe for most cards. If you have a proper case and a good card with great cooling, there's no reason temps should go more than 75c.

Graphics cards thermal thresh-hold is at 100c or boiling point but try your best to keep them 70< because anything more long use duration's will lead to the longevity of the card decreasing. Honestly even reference oced graphics carded hardly reach 80c under a full load so i am sure you should be fine. May i ask your system specs including what brands you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.