5040's network dropping over random times

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
October 27, 2004 5:12:36 AM

I have a ReplayTV 5040 connected using a network cable. Over time, its
LAN connection drops. I cannot ping it from the LAN, use DVArchive to
connect to it, or force a connection to download updates. I can fix
the problem only by power cycling the unit (turning the surge
protector off and then back on).

I watch all of the recordings from my laptop, so it works for days or
weeks without problems. It's just a pain to have to power cycle at
random times. Unfortunately, I can't figure out any pattern in time or
usage.

It is a wired connection going straight into a switch. The link lights
stay on, both on ReplayTV and on the switch. The IP information is
also listed in the Network Settings section. I have tried changing
from automatic/DHCP to manual IP addressing. I've tried pulling the
network cable out pushing it back in. Nothing seems to do the trick.

Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:34:38 PM

On 27 Oct 2004 01:12:36 -0700, ahsyed@hotmail.com (Syed N. Ahmad)
wrote:

>I have a ReplayTV 5040 connected using a network cable. Over time, its
>LAN connection drops. I cannot ping it from the LAN, use DVArchive to
>connect to it, or force a connection to download updates. I can fix
>the problem only by power cycling the unit (turning the surge
>protector off and then back on).
>
>I watch all of the recordings from my laptop, so it works for days or
>weeks without problems. It's just a pain to have to power cycle at
>random times. Unfortunately, I can't figure out any pattern in time or
>usage.

The Replay software has a bug that causes this.

It seems to be related to the lease time of your DHCP server. I had
that problem until I set up fully static (LAN) IP addressing. There
were a lot of posts about that here earlier this month. Mine used to
take 2-3 resets per Replay (I have 3) per week. I setup the static
addressing over 3 weeks ago, and have not needed to do any reboots
since then.

Note that you need to make your network ENTIRELY static, disable all
non-static DHCP servers. What I did was use the program at
http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm . It takes a little
intelligence to set up, but it's worth it.

>It is a wired connection going straight into a switch.

Good. Wireless is slow and unreliable.

> The link lights
>stay on, both on ReplayTV and on the switch. The IP information is
>also listed in the Network Settings section. I have tried changing
>from automatic/DHCP to manual IP addressing.

Seems like that SHOULD work, but the replay is buggy and will still
request a dynamic address if possible. It takes a DHCP server that
always provides the SAME address, as with the program I told you
about.

> I've tried pulling the
>network cable out pushing it back in. Nothing seems to do the trick.

Won't help either. If the LED is on, you know it's connected
physically.

>Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com