Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX BAKING AND NOTHING HAPPENS AT ALL

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 5:42:21 AM

Hy there folks ....

I've got a 8800GTX and the problem appeared a few weeks ago when the GPU started to show some stripes on the screen while loading motherboard LOGO ... This is the only time STRIPES appear ...

After it goes over the LOGO it starts normaly, WIN 7 sign is nicely shown and if i have no DRIVERS installed it goes to deskop, shows nice picture and all.

Probem appears again when i install the drivers, no matter from NVIDIA or STOCK driver that WIN 7 finds.

In this case the computer reboots after driver install, shows strippes at logo screen, than goes normaly to the WIN 7 sign, but than it won't go to Welcome screen and crashes and reboots all the time ...

Can anyone help me fix this problem and if it's possible somehow ???...

I've baked it for 3 times now at 200°C from 8-10 min and NOTHNING HAPPENS ... SAME OLD CARD WITH STRIPES THAT DOESN'T WANT TO BOOT IN WINS !!!

HELP =)

Regards

EE

More about : 8800gtx baking

a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 6:45:49 AM

Well when a card is dead it's just sometimes... dead.
But what kind of power supply do you have? If your power supply has gone weak you may get these stripes if the card doesn't get enough power.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 7:54:05 AM

Well if it does it with your friend's computer then it's pretty certain it's the card that is faulty.
And how could you get this card yesterday if the problem occured a few weeks back?
It may the chip that is broke. I do't know.
a c 91 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 7:57:42 AM

you the guy that had the thread going a week or so ago? time for a new card maybe, huh?
January 23, 2013 8:00:18 AM

Unfortunately, not all computer can be repaired. This might be the case of your 8800GTX.

Try wrapping the card in anti-static plastic and placing it in the fridge for half a day.

If it doesn't work, we can help you pick out a new graphics card.
January 23, 2013 8:03:26 AM

swifty_morgan said:
you the guy that had the thread going a week or so ago? time for a new card maybe, huh?

Please explain this to me via PM.

Thank you.
January 23, 2013 8:10:00 AM

Nah i've been doing baking for the first time so that guy ain't me =) Anyways i think i'll try asking my m8 who has a heat reflow gun ...

Anyways the prob is i'm sticking with this old GPU is that i only play DOTA2 and i don't realy need new better GPU's. I'll buy them when i get a new rig, but this won't be for another 6 months or so ...
a c 91 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:17:32 AM

amdfangirl said:
Please explain this to me via PM.

Thank you.

no, somebody, ( too many threads to find actual message now ), was putting his 8800gtx in the oven. thread is there. maybe you can find it?
January 23, 2013 8:20:09 AM

Anyways there is 1 question 2 ask ... has anyone tryed to bake cards on any higher temp or for a longer time ... and when u're baking it, are you using the fans that oven has inside ??? Will this melt my gpu ?
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:25:15 AM

you know your friend who you got the card off, you say it was happening in his system also. So my question is did it go away when he put a new graphics card in.

The first thing you should of done is inspect the card, see how much dirt and matted fluff was blocking the cooling fins up on the heat sink of the card it`s self.

You should of stripped the cooler off and give it a good clean. then you should of wiped all the old thermal paste of the Gpu die.

And put fresh thermal paste on it in a thin layer all the way across the Gpu Die.

Check no thermal pads were missing off the memory chips that contact the main heat sink unit of the cards cooler, replace any missing one.

Re assemble the cooling unit back to the card firmly. then place the card in the system making sure the fan is indeed spinning to cool the card.

6 cards I have done this on, and fixed due to a hot spot on the Gpu die, where the thermal paste has simply dried out. All with the symptoms you say.

Only one never went right no 7 last week, due to a massive overclock of the card. So you may want to ask your friend if he has ever overclocked the card as it may be the cause. Other than that try all the steps I have mentioned here you may be surprised.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:27:06 AM

Well I think the card is a goner. Sure sounds like it but seriously you can play Dota 2 with a 7600. You can buy a 8600 GT for around 30$ on e-bay.. Hell, I have 8600 GT lying around somewhere. I'm sure if you ask the right people you could probably dust up a card you can use fr Dota 2 for free or really cheap.
a c 91 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:29:42 AM

i don't know what dota2 is, but what about on-board graphics?
January 23, 2013 8:31:37 AM

Anyways there is 1 question 2 ask ... has anyone tryed to bake cards on any higher temp or for a longer time ... and when u're baking it, are you using the fans that oven has inside ??? Will this melt my gpu ?
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:36:35 AM

Trust me don`t use an oven, more often than not you end up damaging other parts, component`s of the graphics card.

Your better of using a heat gun to direct it on the part you think is suspect for a re-flow.
January 23, 2013 8:38:19 AM

Nah, i still have 8800GTS 320MB and DOTA 2 is kinda just a bit to much for this GPU so 8800GTX should be fine ...

weaselman, i think i've seen some damaged thermal pads ... u think this might be the prob ???

swifty_morgan, i've got Asus P5W DH Deluxe MOBO so no onboard GPU =)
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:42:37 AM

There's no reason to go higher on the temperatures. What you are doing when you put it in the oven is that you are re-melting the soldering on the board. When you turn off the oven the tin solder attaches again and hopefully the re-melting process fixes the broken connection. You only need to go as high as it takes to melt the soldering so there's no need to go above 200 celcius. Most alloys melt at 180-190 celcius.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 8:43:19 AM

Well yes, heat causes memory chips to freak out. once they get too hot just like a Gpu. Also suspect to damage after long use and excessive heat build up over long periods of time weakens the memory chips.
Seriously though just try the steps I said if you have not.
The thing is if the memory was bad on the card the bios of the motherboard would of told you this by the way because it checks the texture memory of the card you know, so if there was a problem you would of got a bios beep code error from the bios to say the memory was bad. That why i Suspect it`s just a hot spot on the Gpu die it`s self.
January 23, 2013 8:49:02 AM

Well, but isn't it wierd that just this MOBO LOGO startup screen has stripes, later on when it checks for RAID and shows WIN 7 boot screen it works fine, but than no welcome screen - screen remains BLACK ( IF DRIVERS INSTALLED ). If i have no drivers installed it boots to deskop, than windows installs the driver, i need to reboot and same *** happens, no welcome screen again != )
January 23, 2013 8:51:04 AM

Same happens if i install latest Nvidia 8800GTX drivers ... anyways, what about replacing/fashing GPU Bios ???
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 9:00:19 AM

An option, as long as you get the right bios firmware revision. But the card boots fine anyway if it was broke or flawed simply the rest of the system would not post let alone load into windows. Just check its not a hot spot on the Gpu die, skim the old paste off re-apply some fresh as I said in a thin layer all the way across the Gpu die, clamp the cooler back on the card. see if the screen corruption goes a way. As for the statement about the driver not being installed of corse it will work fine.
As soon as you install the Nvidia graphics driver and it loads in windows, it kicks the Gpu into a higher power mode/ heat. And guess what that is where it bombs out is it not ?, because it has a hot spot on the Gpu die, sending it on the fritz. Logic man. while I am about it I remember a 8800Gtx for the time needed a hefty 24 to 26 amps off the 12v rails any lower and it would baulk in windows when the driver was loaded up.
so have a look on the Psu to see if the 12v , is supplying at least that. And enough watts to run the card. 450w power supply to run it minimum,550w to be safe.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 9:22:09 AM

Eddie please try the steps I have said and check, if one re-flow did not do the trick, or two its all of the above as the causes I have told you. Try those options first. trust me Eddie, I have a hell of a lot of experience and Insight to fixing problems of your nature.
January 23, 2013 9:23:52 AM

Yeah ofc !!! Just wanned to ask if this won't work if that gun is OK ?
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 9:33:06 AM

well yes you want a heat gun you can set to 200c no more, the way I do it is to pass the gun about three or four inches away from the Gpu die. pass it around the die in small circular motion on different corners, no more than fifteen seconds, then move on to the next corner, till all the way around. do about for passes like this. it should be enough eddie to cause re-flow without killing the Gpu ok. Going to exit now best of luck I hope all the advice and information will help you Eddie ok.
January 23, 2013 9:44:35 AM

Thank you very much waaselman and ofc all others ... i will try your suggestions and i hope the gpu gets well ...

Have a nice day

EE
January 23, 2013 9:44:51 AM

Thank you very much waaselman and ofc all others ... i will try your suggestions and i hope the gpu gets well ...

Have a nice day

EE
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 9:54:55 AM

weaselman said:
Trust me don`t use an oven, more often than not you end up damaging other parts, component`s of the graphics card.

Your better of using a heat gun to direct it on the part you think is suspect for a re-flow.

Sorry can't, have baked a few cards, one 9800 GT 3 times ( it's still going ), in my experience an oven works without damaging anything
January 23, 2013 9:58:46 AM

delluser1 tell me did u turn the fan in the oven or NOT ? Couse when i baked 1 other card it totaly distroyed it with fan, but without fan use in oven nothing happens after 3th baking =) ... Confused situation != )
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 10:19:49 AM

EddieExecutor said:
delluser1 tell me did u turn the fan in the oven or NOT ? Couse when i baked 1 other card it totaly distroyed it with fan, but without fan use in oven nothing happens after 3th baking =) ... Confused situation != )

Used an old oven out in the shop, no fan
Someone already said it, sometimes dead is dead, tried it on a 7900 GTO with no luck
!