Sign in with
Your question

Questions about the NVIDIA GTX 660

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 6:31:41 AM

I just have a few questions about the NVIDIA GTX 660.

One, what is the general consensus surrounding this card? Do you believe that this card will be able to achieve a good FPS with many upcoming games when set on high? How soon do you think this gpu will need to be upgraded?

Two, What is the difference between EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte?

Thank you in advance.

Bonus question; will the NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti fit in an Alienware X51 or other similar slimline computers?
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 6:40:03 AM

1. It's a decent card, but will it be able to play games on high for the next couple years? I doubt it.

While it's good it's not great. the GTX 660 Ti would be a much better purchase if you can afford it.

2. They are brands, they sell the exact same GPU, just with their own little twist on things, usually extra fans or a slightly higher clock speed.

The best thing to look for is the price and warranty they offer.

3. While it's tricky to give a solid answer, I think that yes the 660 Ti will fit.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2013 6:45:11 AM

1. I have a GTX460, it was released in 2010. The card is about to be 3 years old. Still running pretty fine for current games at 1080p albeit some image quality have to be lowered. I'm planning on skipping the current gen cards and getting the next gen. I'm pretty sure the GTX660 will last just as long as a 460, provided of course, you're fine with lowering graphics details in upcoming games years later. It's a mid-range card, keep your expectations realistic but don't think it'll be irrelevant/useless 2-3 years from now.

This all could be quite pointless though if upcoming games however started to become super demanding all of a sudden although I don't see that happening.

2. They're the exact manufacturers of the card, not Nvidia. They create cards based on GPUs from Nvidia (and AMD) with custom cooling or other custom parts but mostly follow the specifications from Nvidia.

Related resources
January 23, 2013 6:46:14 AM

warhead0 said:
1. It's a decent card, but will it be able to play games on high for the next couple years? I doubt it.

While it's good it's not great. the GTX 660 Ti would be a much better purchase if you can afford it.

2. They are brands, they sell the exact same GPU, just with their own little twist on things, usually extra fans or a slightly higher clock speed.

The best thing to look for is the price and warranty they offer.

3. While it's tricky to give a solid answer, I think that yes the 660 Ti will fit.

I looked up the specs on a Ti and they didn't seem that much higher. However, you are saying that the Ti will run games on high for a few more years, and it will fit in my machine?
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 6:57:51 AM

the difference on non-reference boards of 660 Ti is not just GPU and cooling. The components they use and BIOS influence product performance and stability. Considering product quality and reputation, ASUS and Gigabyte's ones should be good choices.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
May 12, 2013 10:45:43 AM

1. OK I have an EVGA gtx 660 FTW Signature 2 card and It will max all of my games a 1360X768. so it is a good card
2. And the brands are just the manufacturers of the cards with their little twists to Nvidia's version and they'll add coolers, software, and mabee a small overclock
3. and yes if It should fit and if you have any doubts about it look for zotac's version they have one which is really short
!