Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

5508 Problems

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
October 27, 2004 5:55:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts itself
down after a few hours. Also couldn't get it to change channels on my Dish
811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a replacement
(remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
(gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code 84420005"
after 90 minutes of download. I slowed the modem all the way down to 14.4
kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and get
the same thing. Looks like I need another replacement unit. Anyone out
there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really like
the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get as
far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if I'll
be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.

More about : 5508 problems

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 5:55:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:
> I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts itself
> down after a few hours.

The fan on the 5500 is thermo controlled and does not run until the
system fully boots in any case.

> Also couldn't get it to change channels on my Dish
> 811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a replacement
> (remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
> connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
> (gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code 84420005"
> after 90 minutes of download. I slowed the modem all the way down to 14.4
> kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and get
> the same thing. Looks like I need another replacement unit.

Doubtful. What software version is it (411 zones). With the old software
changing the modem speed panel had no effect. In addition, a bug
prevented the modem registers from being cleared without the unit being
unplugged. There was a procedure to run that would eventually succeed in
getting the newer software build. Once you do, you won't have the
problem. I'll check the AVS forum for the procedure. Meanwhile if you
have a friend with broadband, you could do a net hookup to download Bld 144.

> Anyone out
> there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really like
> the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
> hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get as
> far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if I'll
> be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.
>
If you like the networking, why are you using dial-up?? I don't use
satellite, but if you post on the Replay forum at www.avsforums.com
somebody with your box can give you the settings. The new software
supports the new sat box serial command set also.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 5:55:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:

> I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts itself
> down after a few hours. Also couldn't get it to change channels on my Dish
> 811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a replacement
> (remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
> connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
> (gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code 84420005"
> after 90 minutes of download. I slowed the modem all the way down to 14.4
> kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and get
> the same thing. Looks like I need another replacement unit. Anyone out
> there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really like
> the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
> hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get as
> far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if I'll
> be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.
>
>
From AVS (SFHUB post)

There is a problem with dialing the global 1-800 # to retrieve the local
dialup #s. If you don't do this during initial install, it won't work later
on when you switch from ethernet to modem.

If this is what you are encountering, you have a couple of options:
1) connect your unit to ethernet/broadband and configure for modem
Your unit will attempt to dialout by modem, but will then download the
local dialups by ethernet
2) 382-zones factory reset, this time immediately configure for modem
during initial setup
3) Follow the procedure outlined here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=404207
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 5:55:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:55:25 GMT, "Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> wrote:

>I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts itself
>down after a few hours. Also couldn't get it to change channels on my Dish
>811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a replacement
>(remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
>connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
>(gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code 84420005"
>after 90 minutes of download.

That's annoying feature that kept happening when I used dial-up. If
something goes wrong is completes trying everything (VERY slowly)
before giving the message.

> I slowed the modem all the way down to 14.4
>kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and get
>the same thing.

Did you try other phone numbers? Sometimes only 1 or 2 have a problem.

> Looks like I need another replacement unit. Anyone out
>there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really like
>the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
>hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get as
>far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if I'll
>be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.
>

--
59 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 27, 2004 8:27:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I'm out in the sticks with no access to broadband. The fan on the original
receiver never ran - the fan on the "new" one runs as soon as it is turned
on. I have no problem getting connected on the 800 # to get the local
phone numbers. The local phone number connects OK and goes through the
usual "setting time zone" etc. and looks like it is loading the guide info
(the % number goes all the way to 100%). Then I get the unexpected error
84420005, which is a socket error of some sort. The techs at ReplayTV told
me 1) to get rid of the *70 in front of my dialing prefix and 2) Call the
phone Co. and have them "clear the line". I told them to forget that
nonsense - the original unit had no trouble with the phone line. They are
sending me a second replacement, so we'll see what happens with that .
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted on the outcome

Jimbo


"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:EvydnV6YAZZ9XeLcRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> Jimbo wrote:
>
> > I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts
itself
> > down after a few hours. Also couldn't get it to change channels on my
Dish
> > 811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a
replacement
> > (remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
> > connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
> > (gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code
84420005"
> > after 90 minutes of download. I slowed the modem all the way down to
14.4
> > kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and
get
> > the same thing. Looks like I need another replacement unit. Anyone out
> > there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really
like
> > the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
> > hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get
as
> > far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if
I'll
> > be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.
> >
> >
> From AVS (SFHUB post)
>
> There is a problem with dialing the global 1-800 # to retrieve the local
> dialup #s. If you don't do this during initial install, it won't work
later
> on when you switch from ethernet to modem.
>
> If this is what you are encountering, you have a couple of options:
> 1) connect your unit to ethernet/broadband and configure for modem
> Your unit will attempt to dialout by modem, but will then download the
> local dialups by ethernet
> 2) 382-zones factory reset, this time immediately configure for modem
> during initial setup
> 3) Follow the procedure outlined here:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=404207
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 8:27:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:

> I'm out in the sticks with no access to broadband. The fan on the original
> receiver never ran - the fan on the "new" one runs as soon as it is turned
> on. I have no problem getting connected on the 800 # to get the local
> phone numbers. The local phone number connects OK and goes through the
> usual "setting time zone" etc. and looks like it is loading the guide info
> (the % number goes all the way to 100%). Then I get the unexpected error
> 84420005, which is a socket error of some sort. The techs at ReplayTV told
> me 1) to get rid of the *70 in front of my dialing prefix and 2) Call the
> phone Co. and have them "clear the line". I told them to forget that
> nonsense - the original unit had no trouble with the phone line. They are
> sending me a second replacement, so we'll see what happens with that .
> Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted on the outcome
>
Your wasting your time, there was nothing wrong with #2. You should have
just answered the questions. Calling Replay is also a waste of time. You
cannot talk to anybody that knows anything. When DNNA bought them most
of the people with little jobs left. Most of customer service is
clueless. If you would have gone to the AVS forum, you'd be up and
running by now.
October 27, 2004 9:41:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Yes, the techs on the phone didn't seem to know much. They kept having to
put me on hold and ask some head tech the same questions.
Can you direct me to the correct thread on AVS forum. I tried the link you
sent but it was 404. I got into the forum, but there are a lot of messages
to go through.

Thanks!

Jimbo

"Tony D" <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote in message news:417fd676$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Jimbo wrote:
>
> > I'm out in the sticks with no access to broadband. The fan on the
original
> > receiver never ran - the fan on the "new" one runs as soon as it is
turned
> > on. I have no problem getting connected on the 800 # to get the local
> > phone numbers. The local phone number connects OK and goes through the
> > usual "setting time zone" etc. and looks like it is loading the guide
info
> > (the % number goes all the way to 100%). Then I get the unexpected
error
> > 84420005, which is a socket error of some sort. The techs at ReplayTV
told
> > me 1) to get rid of the *70 in front of my dialing prefix and 2) Call
the
> > phone Co. and have them "clear the line". I told them to forget that
> > nonsense - the original unit had no trouble with the phone line. They
are
> > sending me a second replacement, so we'll see what happens with that .
> > Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted on the outcome
> >
> Your wasting your time, there was nothing wrong with #2. You should have
> just answered the questions. Calling Replay is also a waste of time. You
> cannot talk to anybody that knows anything. When DNNA bought them most
> of the people with little jobs left. Most of customer service is
> clueless. If you would have gone to the AVS forum, you'd be up and
> running by now.
>
October 29, 2004 4:42:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Just an update........I took the 5508 into town (to the local firehouse,
which has a broadband connection). Hooked it up to the router and it
immediately found the network, downloaded the channel guide, upgraded the
software to build 144. That fixed everything. The modem now works fine and,
as a bonus, the problem I had with the original unit not changing channels
on my Dish 811 receiver disappeared.

I guess it would be too much of an economic hassle and logistics nightmare
to open every box in inventory and upgrade to the latest version of
software, but it would sure save a lot of problems. I am guessing the folks
with dial-ups are in the minority and the majority with broadband
connections will never see this kind of problem. Simple fix, but without
access to a broadband connection your are SOL.

Jimbo

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
news:nmivn0pm948ormfchfj9lk51trck7d9ksm@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:55:25 GMT, "Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> wrote:
>
> >I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts
itself
> >down after a few hours. Also couldn't get it to change channels on my
Dish
> >811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a
replacement
> >(remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
> >connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
> >(gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code
84420005"
> >after 90 minutes of download.
>
> That's annoying feature that kept happening when I used dial-up. If
> something goes wrong is completes trying everything (VERY slowly)
> before giving the message.
>
> > I slowed the modem all the way down to 14.4
> >kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and
get
> >the same thing.
>
> Did you try other phone numbers? Sometimes only 1 or 2 have a problem.
>
> > Looks like I need another replacement unit. Anyone out
> >there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really
like
> >the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
> >hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get
as
> >far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if
I'll
> >be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.
> >
>
> --
> 59 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 4:42:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:42:07 GMT, "Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> wrote:

>Just an update........I took the 5508 into town (to the local firehouse,
>which has a broadband connection). Hooked it up to the router and it
>immediately found the network, downloaded the channel guide, upgraded the
>software to build 144. That fixed everything. The modem now works fine and,
>as a bonus, the problem I had with the original unit not changing channels
>on my Dish 811 receiver disappeared.
>
>I guess it would be too much of an economic hassle and logistics nightmare
>to open every box in inventory and upgrade to the latest version of
>software, but it would sure save a lot of problems. I am guessing the folks
>with dial-ups are in the minority and the majority with broadband
>connections will never see this kind of problem. Simple fix, but without
>access to a broadband connection your are SOL.
>
>Jimbo
>

Some people with dial-up internet could connect it to a dial-up
router, is that works (avoids timeout problems caused by dialing
delay).

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>news:nmivn0pm948ormfchfj9lk51trck7d9ksm@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:55:25 GMT, "Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I recently installed a ReplayTV 5508. The fan never ran, so it shuts
>itself
>> >down after a few hours. Also couldn't get it to change channels on my
>Dish
>> >811 receiver so I contacted customer service and they sent me a
>replacement
>> >(remanufactured). The fan runs on this unit, but I use a phone line to
>> >connect to the "mother ship" and it downloads channel information, etc.
>> >(gets all the way to 100%) and I get an "unexpected result code
>84420005"
>> >after 90 minutes of download.
>>
>> That's annoying feature that kept happening when I used dial-up. If
>> something goes wrong is completes trying everything (VERY slowly)
>> before giving the message.
>>
>> > I slowed the modem all the way down to 14.4
>> >kb/sec but get the same result. I tried a hard reset (382 + Zones) and
>get
>> >the same thing.
>>
>> Did you try other phone numbers? Sometimes only 1 or 2 have a problem.
>>
>> > Looks like I need another replacement unit. Anyone out
>> >there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really
>like
>> >the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully
>> >hooked this unit up to a Dish 811 receiver. I haven't been able to get
>as
>> >far as fine tuning the IR blaster codes on this unit so I don't know if
>I'll
>> >be able to resolve that issue when I do get one that works.
>> >
>>
>> --
>> 59 days until the winter solstice celebration
>>
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>

--
57 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:01:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:
> Just an update........I took the 5508 into town (to the local firehouse,
> which has a broadband connection). Hooked it up to the router and it
> immediately found the network, downloaded the channel guide, upgraded the
> software to build 144. That fixed everything. The modem now works fine and,
> as a bonus, the problem I had with the original unit not changing channels
> on my Dish 811 receiver disappeared.
>
> I guess it would be too much of an economic hassle and logistics nightmare
> to open every box in inventory and upgrade to the latest version of
> software, but it would sure save a lot of problems. I am guessing the folks
> with dial-ups are in the minority and the majority with broadband
> connections will never see this kind of problem. Simple fix, but without
> access to a broadband connection your are SOL.

If you would have used the procedure posted on the AVSforum from Replay
eventually you would have gotten the software update via modem. It's
just much easier finding a friend with broadband. And bld 144 has codes
for the newer sat boxes.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:31:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:


> I guess it would be too much of an economic hassle and logistics nightmare
> to open every box in inventory and upgrade to the latest version of
> software, but it would sure save a lot of problems. I am guessing the folks
> with dial-ups are in the minority and the majority with broadband
> connections will never see this kind of problem. Simple fix, but without
> access to a broadband connection your are SOL.
>

Glad you got it working...

However,,, When it comes to opening and upgrading

Not only would it be a serious hassle but then they would have to sell
the item "Open box" at a serious discount. Thus it's not going to happen.

However, Most big electronic stores, For that matter even most of the
smaller ones, Any one that has a service department, will likely have a
high speed internet connection lying about somewhere (Specifically at
the computer service desk if no place else) and, if you purchased from
them they may well be willing to perform that "Service" no charge
(Technically they are required to under warranty don't you know)

If you did not,,, there will likely be a "small charge" (oh, say sixty
bucks)

Your method works when you can use it
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 3:14:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Jimbo" <imbojay@att.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>there have similar problems? I would have gone to TiVO, but I really like
>the network capabilities of this system. Also, has anyone successfully

Which network features in particular?

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
!