6230i...Downloading Images & Video onto PC?

Last response: in Brands
July 28, 2005 8:19:24 PM

Hi all,

How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
something wrong.

Please Help,

Many Thanks

Gunjani
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:10:07 PM

Best bet would to buy a card reader, and then pop the MMC (note MMC and NOT
SD card) into the reader/writer.

Transfer time is a lot quicker.

Check out www.7dayshop.com (they're in the Channel Islands). Turnaround
good, prices VERY keen.

"Gunjani" <yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
> using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
> which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
> something wrong.
>
> Please Help,
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Gunjani
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:53:37 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:19:24 +0100, Gunjani
<yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
> using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
> which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
> something wrong.

I was thinking of buying this phone! Surly you can transfer the files from
the phone to the PC & PC to the phone with the suppled software?

Daz
July 28, 2005 11:57:43 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:10:07 +0100, Kevin I Chapple
<kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote:

> Best bet would to buy a card reader, and then pop the MMC (note MMC and
> NOT
> SD card) into the reader/writer.
>
> Transfer time is a lot quicker.

I don't have this phone, but having to take the card out every time you
want to transfer files is a big step back wards. I think you would have to
remove the back cover, remove battery every time & then replace them!
There must be a better solution, maybe have a blue-tooth dongle for the PC
& transfer that way? Anyone have a good answer?
July 29, 2005 12:01:25 AM

In article <op.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter>,
Daz P <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I don't have this phone, but having to take the card out every time you
>want to transfer files is a big step back wards. I think you would have to
>remove the back cover, remove battery every time & then replace them!
>There must be a better solution, maybe have a blue-tooth dongle for the PC
>& transfer that way? Anyone have a good answer?

Bluetooth or wire transfer will be 10 to 20 times slower than using a card
reader. If you're transfering small files, speed is not important.
If you're transfering 100MB, then the card reader is definately the way to go.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:00:31 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:01:25 +0100, C <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote:

> In article <op.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter>,
> Bluetooth or wire transfer will be 10 to 20 times slower than using a
> card
> reader. If you're transfering small files, speed is not important.
> If you're transfering 100MB, then the card reader is definately the way
> to go.

I guess it depends on what standards the phone uses as its wire transfer.
I have a camera & it uses USB2 so thats about as fast as it gets. I had a
Moto V3 that had a USB cable & adaptor & was a slow as an old dog so I
guess it all is down to the USB standard that is used.

I just took this quote from the nokia web site:

Key Features
1.3 megapixel camera
Fast file transfers with the plug and play USB port
208 x 208-pixel, 65,536 color TFT display
32 MB internal memory plus up to 512 MB removable memory
Email, MMS, and Instant Messaging
Animated 3D menu graphics
MP3/AAC/M4A stereo music player
XHTML browser also shows many HTML pages
Comfortably compact, classic design
Bluetooth wireless technology
Push to talk over cellular
Visual Radio - interact with what you hear

I guess Nokia think the 6230i has fast wire transfer so to me I am
thinking it should not be nesessary to take the internal memory card out.
This leads me to the question. Is there a software problem, data cable
problem or camera problem that Gunjani has.

Is anyone able to do any tests for us? Like timeing how long it takes to
transfer a 10 20 50 mb file?
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:05:32 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:01:25 +0100, C <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote:

> In article <op.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter>,

> Bluetooth or wire transfer will be 10 to 20 times slower than using a
> card
> reader. If you're transfering small files, speed is not important.
> If you're transfering 100MB, then the card reader is definately the way
> to go.

Take a look at http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,8764,69501,00.html & look at
the USB part, I'm thinking Gunjani has done something wrong :)
July 29, 2005 2:11:43 AM

In article <op.sum8kujto0987l@fire-starter>,
Daz P <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I guess it depends on what standards the phone uses as its wire transfer.
>I have a camera & it uses USB2 so thats about as fast as it gets. I had a
>Moto V3 that had a USB cable & adaptor & was a slow as an old dog so I
>guess it all is down to the USB standard that is used.

You are assuming that data coming over the phone cable gets written
immediately and directly to the data card. You are wrong.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:06:07 AM

Yes, Daz. A bluetooth dongle, or wired connection, even IrDa would be fine
(more user friendly), and would save the need to remove the card, as you
correctly say it would be a back cover off, battery out job.

However, a card reader WOULD be quicker, as I pointed out.

Cheers

"Daz P" <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o p.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter...
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:10:07 +0100, Kevin I Chapple
> <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote:
>
> > Best bet would to buy a card reader, and then pop the MMC (note MMC and
> > NOT
> > SD card) into the reader/writer.
> >
> > Transfer time is a lot quicker.
>
> I don't have this phone, but having to take the card out every time you
> want to transfer files is a big step back wards. I think you would have to
> remove the back cover, remove battery every time & then replace them!
> There must be a better solution, maybe have a blue-tooth dongle for the PC
> & transfer that way? Anyone have a good answer?
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:10:16 AM

YES Daz, they MAY be transferred with the supplied software, but that it
what the original poster had a problem with! (he would of course need the
relevant data cable (accessory) also.

Regardless of whether it be used with IrDa, supplied software and cable, or
Bluetooth, a card reader/writer is still faster, especially, as another
poster pointed out, if you/he has a lot of info to transfer.

To quote Gunjani "Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing something
wrong" END quote.

news:o p.sum2pdsio0987l@fire-starter...
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:19:24 +0100, Gunjani
> <yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
> > using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
> > which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
> > something wrong.
>
> I was thinking of buying this phone! Surly you can transfer the files from
> the phone to the PC & PC to the phone with the suppled software?
>
> Daz
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:26:59 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:11:43 +0100, C <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote:

> In article <op.sum8kujto0987l@fire-starter>,
> Daz P <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess it depends on what standards the phone uses as its wire
>> transfer.
>> I have a camera & it uses USB2 so thats about as fast as it gets. I had
>> Moto V3 that had a USB cable & adaptor & was a slow as an old dog so I
>> guess it all is down to the USB standard that is used.
>
> You are assuming that data coming over the phone cable gets written
> immediately and directly to the data card. You are wrong.

I don't assume anything, all hardware requires some form of
Driver/Software combination. What I was suggesting was there is a
difference between USB & USB 2 as a wire transfer medium, one is far
faster than the other. Nokia say they "Fast file transfers with the plug
and play USB port" but don't mention what standard they use.
August 1, 2005 5:35:55 PM

> How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
> using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
> which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
> something wrong.

I use the Nokia DKU-2 data cable for this, and that works very conveniently.
When connecting it, the phone offers the choise of two connection modes:

1. normal data-cable mode (as with older Nokia phones) so the PC Suite can
be used to transfer things like contacts, calendar, ... to Outlook - or to
transfer new JAVA applications and so on. In this mode you can also
transfer you pictures (via My Computer, Nokia Phone Browser, Nokia 6230i,
.... ), but it's better to use the second mode below.

2. USB mode, the MMC card in your phone will now appear as a new drive in
your Windows (just like a card reader), and so your new pictures can be
transferred very easily to your computer! (just make sure you setup the
camera's store folder to a folder on the MMC card because there is more
space and otherwise you have to use mode 1 above).

This is a great solution (the choise of two modes). The fact that a card
reader is faster is not so important because a. have you seen the size of
the pictures (small) and b. it's soooo much faster to just hook up the cable
then to turn it off, remove cover, remove battery, remove MMC, but MMC in
card reader and back the other way!

PS. instead of the DKU-2 cable, Infrared or Bluetooth can also be used !
(mode 1)

Notes that mode 1 offers access to all data in the phone, while mode 2
offers access to only the MMC card (but is quite faster then mode 1)
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:51:39 PM

use Mobiledit software, it works fine with 6230i and many others and
besides pic transfer it can message, dial, backup, edit pics, upload
much stuff...

--
Sheeni