6230i...Downloading Images & Video onto PC?

Hi all,

How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
something wrong.

Please Help,

Many Thanks

Gunjani
12 answers Last reply
More about 6230i downloading images video

    Best bet would to buy a card reader, and then pop the MMC (note MMC and NOT
    SD card) into the reader/writer.

    Transfer time is a lot quicker.

    Check out www.7dayshop.com (they're in the Channel Islands). Turnaround
    good, prices VERY keen.

    "Gunjani" <yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
    > using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
    > which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
    > something wrong.
    >
    > Please Help,
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Gunjani

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:19:24 +0100, Gunjani
    <yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
    > using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
    > which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
    > something wrong.

    I was thinking of buying this phone! Surly you can transfer the files from
    the phone to the PC & PC to the phone with the suppled software?

    Daz

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:10:07 +0100, Kevin I Chapple
    <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote:

    > Best bet would to buy a card reader, and then pop the MMC (note MMC and
    > NOT
    > SD card) into the reader/writer.
    >
    > Transfer time is a lot quicker.

    I don't have this phone, but having to take the card out every time you
    want to transfer files is a big step back wards. I think you would have to
    remove the back cover, remove battery every time & then replace them!
    There must be a better solution, maybe have a blue-tooth dongle for the PC
    & transfer that way? Anyone have a good answer?

    In article <op.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter>,
    Daz P <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I don't have this phone, but having to take the card out every time you
    >want to transfer files is a big step back wards. I think you would have to
    >remove the back cover, remove battery every time & then replace them!
    >There must be a better solution, maybe have a blue-tooth dongle for the PC
    >& transfer that way? Anyone have a good answer?

    Bluetooth or wire transfer will be 10 to 20 times slower than using a card
    reader. If you're transfering small files, speed is not important.
    If you're transfering 100MB, then the card reader is definately the way to go.

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:01:25 +0100, C <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote:

    > In article <op.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter>,
    > Bluetooth or wire transfer will be 10 to 20 times slower than using a
    > card
    > reader. If you're transfering small files, speed is not important.
    > If you're transfering 100MB, then the card reader is definately the way
    > to go.

    I guess it depends on what standards the phone uses as its wire transfer.
    I have a camera & it uses USB2 so thats about as fast as it gets. I had a
    Moto V3 that had a USB cable & adaptor & was a slow as an old dog so I
    guess it all is down to the USB standard that is used.

    I just took this quote from the nokia web site:

    Key Features
    1.3 megapixel camera
    Fast file transfers with the plug and play USB port
    208 x 208-pixel, 65,536 color TFT display
    32 MB internal memory plus up to 512 MB removable memory
    Email, MMS, and Instant Messaging
    Animated 3D menu graphics
    MP3/AAC/M4A stereo music player
    XHTML browser also shows many HTML pages
    Comfortably compact, classic design
    Bluetooth wireless technology
    Push to talk over cellular
    Visual Radio - interact with what you hear

    I guess Nokia think the 6230i has fast wire transfer so to me I am
    thinking it should not be nesessary to take the internal memory card out.
    This leads me to the question. Is there a software problem, data cable
    problem or camera problem that Gunjani has.

    Is anyone able to do any tests for us? Like timeing how long it takes to
    transfer a 10 20 50 mb file?

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:01:25 +0100, C <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote:

    > In article <op.sum2v7a5o0987l@fire-starter>,

    > Bluetooth or wire transfer will be 10 to 20 times slower than using a
    > card
    > reader. If you're transfering small files, speed is not important.
    > If you're transfering 100MB, then the card reader is definately the way
    > to go.

    Take a look at http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,8764,69501,00.html & look at
    the USB part, I'm thinking Gunjani has done something wrong :)

    In article <op.sum8kujto0987l@fire-starter>,
    Daz P <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I guess it depends on what standards the phone uses as its wire transfer.
    >I have a camera & it uses USB2 so thats about as fast as it gets. I had a
    >Moto V3 that had a USB cable & adaptor & was a slow as an old dog so I
    >guess it all is down to the USB standard that is used.

    You are assuming that data coming over the phone cable gets written
    immediately and directly to the data card. You are wrong.

    Yes, Daz. A bluetooth dongle, or wired connection, even IrDa would be fine
    (more user friendly), and would save the need to remove the card, as you
    correctly say it would be a back cover off, battery out job.

    However, a card reader WOULD be quicker, as I pointed out.

    Cheers

    "Daz P" <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:10:07 +0100, Kevin I Chapple
    > <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Best bet would to buy a card reader, and then pop the MMC (note MMC and
    > > NOT
    > > SD card) into the reader/writer.
    > >
    > > Transfer time is a lot quicker.
    >
    > I don't have this phone, but having to take the card out every time you
    > want to transfer files is a big step back wards. I think you would have to
    > remove the back cover, remove battery every time & then replace them!
    > There must be a better solution, maybe have a blue-tooth dongle for the PC
    > & transfer that way? Anyone have a good answer?

    YES Daz, they MAY be transferred with the supplied software, but that it
    what the original poster had a problem with! (he would of course need the
    relevant data cable (accessory) also.

    Regardless of whether it be used with IrDa, supplied software and cable, or
    Bluetooth, a card reader/writer is still faster, especially, as another
    poster pointed out, if you/he has a lot of info to transfer.

    To quote Gunjani "Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
    which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing something
    wrong" END quote.

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:11:43 +0100, C <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote:

    > In article <op.sum8kujto0987l@fire-starter>,
    > Daz P <tabintab@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> I guess it depends on what standards the phone uses as its wire
    >> transfer.
    >> I have a camera & it uses USB2 so thats about as fast as it gets. I had
    >> Moto V3 that had a USB cable & adaptor & was a slow as an old dog so I
    >> guess it all is down to the USB standard that is used.
    >
    > You are assuming that data coming over the phone cable gets written
    > immediately and directly to the data card. You are wrong.

    I don't assume anything, all hardware requires some form of
    Driver/Software combination. What I was suggesting was there is a
    difference between USB & USB 2 as a wire transfer medium, one is far
    faster than the other. Nokia say they "Fast file transfers with the plug
    and play USB port" but don't mention what standard they use.

    > How can I download all my images (using built-in camera) and videos made
    > using the Nokia 6230i onto the PC. The Nokia software PC Suite 6.41.6
    > which came with the phone does not allow for this or am I doing
    > something wrong.

    I use the Nokia DKU-2 data cable for this, and that works very conveniently.
    When connecting it, the phone offers the choise of two connection modes:

    1. normal data-cable mode (as with older Nokia phones) so the PC Suite can
    be used to transfer things like contacts, calendar, ... to Outlook - or to
    transfer new JAVA applications and so on. In this mode you can also
    transfer you pictures (via My Computer, Nokia Phone Browser, Nokia 6230i,
    .... ), but it's better to use the second mode below.

    2. USB mode, the MMC card in your phone will now appear as a new drive in
    your Windows (just like a card reader), and so your new pictures can be
    transferred very easily to your computer! (just make sure you setup the
    camera's store folder to a folder on the MMC card because there is more
    space and otherwise you have to use mode 1 above).

    This is a great solution (the choise of two modes). The fact that a card
    reader is faster is not so important because a. have you seen the size of
    the pictures (small) and b. it's soooo much faster to just hook up the cable
    then to turn it off, remove cover, remove battery, remove MMC, but MMC in
    card reader and back the other way!

    PS. instead of the DKU-2 cable, Infrared or Bluetooth can also be used !
    (mode 1)

    Notes that mode 1 offers access to all data in the phone, while mode 2
    offers access to only the MMC card (but is quite faster then mode 1)

    use Mobiledit software, it works fine with 6230i and many others and
    besides pic transfer it can message, dial, backup, edit pics, upload
    much stuff...

    --
    Sheeni

Nokia Video Product