Sign in with
Your question

Getting rid of my AMD prejudices

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 10:33:44 AM

Hi! I have been an AMD hater for a while, and in my memory I can only recall past news of linux and game-specific problems with them.

With those prejudices in mind, I'm trying to buy a new PC (more on that here). Of course I wanted a nVidia card, GTX 680. Everyone has advised me to get the AMD equivalent HD7970 because of better performance for multi-monitor display, but I still think it'd give me problems on the long run.

I cannot get past my prejudices, save money and get a better card without some TH's confirmation on the matter.

More about : rid amd prejudices

January 23, 2013 10:37:20 AM

Quote:
>After many months of saving and deciding I finally have enough money for my rig without worrying much on budget. It's main use will be programming, emulating and gaming. [...] I also want the building to be capable of supporting several monitors. I would like 3+ for a nice panorama view in games like Skyrim or Minecraft but only if it doesn't over-blow the budget. If not I'd just buy Oculus Rift with the money or something.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45
Memory: 2 x 8 GB Patriot DDR3-1866 CL10
Graphics card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 680 OC 4GB
June 7, 2013 8:33:44 AM

I have been using Linux on AMD based boxes since the mid / late 90s. No CPU related issues beyond 2. Some model Hauppague cards don't get along well with AMD chips, and even certain Intel processors had trouble with them. Hauppague's problem, not AMDs... And a cheap Chinese USB media player that you plug into a car cigarette lgihter to broadcast mp3s to an FM receiver never worked right with Athlon 64 based systems...

NVidia makes a good video chip, so does AMD. Prejudice is just that. Put it where it belongs.
!