best 6.1 speakers for under $200?

G

I have the Hercules Game Theatre XP 6.1 and am looking for the best 6.1 speakers I can get for under $200 bucks.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't think there are any 6.1 systems available yet. Just get a good 5.1 system and be happy. :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Exactly, there is no such thing as 6.1. A rear speaker might be interesting, though.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Actually there are new standards for both 6.1 and 7.1, but only for home theater and only a few DVDs take advantage of it yet. The 6.1 standard adds a rear center channel to complete the "surround" effect. The THX specification actually calls for *two* rear center speakers, so decoders that follow the THX standard are designated "7.1". See "www.ovation-av.com/ov2000/theater_ed_14.htm" for an explanation of this.

I'm not sure why THX asks for two rear centers yet only one front center. I think the reasoning is that when a sound is *directly* in front of or behind you, your ears are unable to perceive which direction the sound is coming from (because our ears point sideways, they get confused). To alleviate this, I think Lucasfilm may have specified two rear centers to provide a slight spacing effect so the sounds come into our ears at an angle from behind and thus immediately let us know that the sounds are behind us.

Basically, in computer gaming 6.1 and 7.1 will remain a non-issue for at least a couple more years. By then we may start seeing sound cards that support these additional formats.

Ritesh

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, I'm sorry. I know about 6.1 and 7.1, I just meant for computers. Didn't the Terratec card reviewed here a while back support one of those? I could be wrong.

Regardless, there are no speaker sets to support it, so it goes to waste without jury-rigging your own set.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Basically, in computer gaming 6.1 and 7.1 will remain a non-issue for at least a couple more years. By then we may start seeing sound cards that support these additional formats.
The Hercules Game Theater XP already supports these standards.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
No it doesn't, actually. The GTXP supports virtual 6.1 (unless the digital out provides it, which I don't think it does).