Integrated Graphics vs. Discrete Graphics

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • CPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 4:40:47 PM

Hello,
I heard, recently that the new Haswell CPU's from Intel will feature a vastly improved integrated graphics system over the previous generation. However, this has caused some people to believe that integrated graphics will beat discrete graphics in the future, in terms of price and performance. (around 2015 with the Skylake CPU's)
Personally I think discrete will always win, as you can put much more on a separate piece of hardware in terms of technology.

Do you believe this will happen? Or is it another false prediction like Larabee?

Regards,
Dan.

More about : integrated graphics discrete graphics

a c 182 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 5:07:47 PM

No i donot think so.dedicated gpu will beat integrated gpu.
January 23, 2013 5:14:17 PM

Personally, I agree, just more options with discrete graphics, but who knows... I'll just wait and see in 2015 :) 
Related resources
January 23, 2013 5:24:17 PM

I think its possible the GPGPU will take hold eventually given how graphically advanced computes in general have become.
January 23, 2013 5:53:40 PM

Yeah possibly, they are becoming better as time goes on as is anything in the world of tech. Hard to say though, I'm gonna sit it out until about 2015, then see whats what :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 2:18:49 AM

TheGreatHoylando said:
Hello,
I heard, recently that the new Haswell CPU's from Intel will feature a vastly improved integrated graphics system over the previous generation. However, this has caused some people to believe that integrated graphics will beat discrete graphics in the future, in terms of price and performance. (around 2015 with the Skylake CPU's)
Personally I think discrete will always win, as you can put much more on a separate piece of hardware in terms of technology.

Do you believe this will happen? Or is it another false prediction like Larabee?

Regards,
Dan.

Not trying to be funny but i dont think intergraded will ever beat a high end descrete gpu no matter when it is. A intergraded gpu beating a nvidia high end gpu x70 x80 in the future? ILL be waiting
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 487 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 2:55:07 AM

Dedicated will always win because of the the fact that the more powerful the graphics card is, the more power it will consume.

Additionally, a powerful GPU will have a lot of transistors, more than a the number in a CPU. Therefore, if a CPU were to even have an integrated graphics core that is a powerful as GTX 670, the CPU itself would be massive. That also translates into "expensive".

There will always be a place for discrete graphics card, but it is nice to know that both AMD and Intel are raising the bar for integrated graphics core performance. While the end result may more or less be negligible on the desktop, for laptops it is a different story since basically all inexpensive laptops can potentially have a pretty decent iGPU pushing a relatively low 1366x768 resolution screen.
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 3:07:32 AM

The Intel graphics will never be as good. Most likely in 10 years my 7970 will be slower and use a lot more power then the IG then. Right now IG is slower and they plan to keep it that way. It's like the people who say desktops are gonna not be made anymore. They will always have better specs because they have more room for more parts, and airflow to cool them.
May 14, 2013 10:12:50 PM

Keeping in mind that most graphics cards are about half the size of a motherboard, it would be obvious of the physical ability to put more circuitry and technology on this as apposed to a microchip.

To give an analogy: I have a pickup truck (the Motherboard) and I can put 10 buckets (onboard graphics) of dirt in the bed of the truck. Person A comes along and says hey, "I have just found a way (with new technology and says, "you can haul actually 10 buckets of dirt in the cab (APU Integrated graphics) of your truck thus freeing up the bed to haul other materials to the jobsite. Person B comes along and says, "If you hitch up a 20 foot trailer (discrete graphics card) to the back of your truck you can haul 20 bucket of dirt on it doubling your capacity and freeing up your cab (APU)to do other stuff and put passengers (CPU work instead of APU work) in to take to the jobsite. Technology increases and person C comes and says, "I figured out a way that we can compact the dirt so that instead of 10lbs. of dirt per bucket we can get 20 lbs. in each bucket and in essence get 20 buckets worth of dirt in the bed of your truck and you won't need that stinking trailer. I say that sounds good, I will do that and get rid of the trailer. The trailer guy comes back and says, "I have just implemented that new technology that person C told you about and now instead of 20 buckets of dirt in the trailer, I have compacted them to fit twice as much in them so you now can haul 40 buckets of dirt on the trailer. Now I am back to using a trailer.

See how that all works???

So, Technology being equal, you will always be able to fit more tech in a larger space like a graphics card that is capable of doing more things in general where as graphics embedded in the CPU or APU will eliminate certain bottlenecks of going through a buss and other routes and be faster at certain tasks whereas on-board (the chip-set) may be more cost effective and convenient.
!