simple volume reduction in a headphone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am working on running my radar detector audio through a pair of
headphones, but am having a volume problem. From reading another archived
post on this list about volume control, I have a feeling someone here may
have a quick easy answer for me, but I couldn't get it out of that post.

My radar detector (Beltronics 985) has only an internal speaker, no output
jack. I soldered a 1/8" jack to the leads on the speaker. I can now plug
in a pair of earbud headhones and get the audio through, but the level is
deafening, even on the detectors lowest volume setting. How can I lower it?
My thought is that perhaps a simple resistor wired into the jack could
handle it, but even if that is the proper answer, what value resistor (even
general ballpark)? Sound quality is not an issue, I just need to hear
something. Exact volume or adjustability is not an issue. Just a general
reduction of volume by maybe half.

Any help?

Jim

On 6/21/2004 12:38, NWRain wrote:

> I am working on running my radar detector audio through a pair of
> headphones, but am having a volume problem. From reading another archived
> post on this list about volume control, I have a feeling someone here may
> have a quick easy answer for me, but I couldn't get it out of that post.
>
> My radar detector (Beltronics 985) has only an internal speaker, no output
> jack. I soldered a 1/8" jack to the leads on the speaker. I can now plug
> in a pair of earbud headhones and get the audio through, but the level is
> deafening, even on the detectors lowest volume setting. How can I lower it?
> My thought is that perhaps a simple resistor wired into the jack could
> handle it, but even if that is the proper answer, what value resistor (even
> general ballpark)? Sound quality is not an issue, I just need to hear
> something. Exact volume or adjustability is not an issue. Just a general
> reduction of volume by maybe half.

I had the exact same issue when running the radar detector audio through
my motorcycle intercom system.

What I did was go to Radio Shack and buy an in-line volume control,
like this one:

<http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=42-2559>

I just connected this in and adjusted the volume to where it was comfortable,
and sealed the whole unit up with the rest of the wiring. Worked great.

Perfect...

sometimes I'm trying too hard to figure out something to see the simple
answer right in front of me. Of course.

thanx...

Jim

"Mark Hansen" <meh@NOSPAMunify.com> wrote in message
> On 6/21/2004 12:38, NWRain wrote:
>
> > I am working on running my radar detector audio through a pair of
> > headphones, but am having a volume problem. From reading another
archived
> > post on this list about volume control, I have a feeling someone here
may
> > have a quick easy answer for me, but I couldn't get it out of that post.
> >
> > My radar detector (Beltronics 985) has only an internal speaker, no
output
> > jack. I soldered a 1/8" jack to the leads on the speaker. I can now
plug
> > in a pair of earbud headhones and get the audio through, but the level
is
> > deafening, even on the detectors lowest volume setting. How can I lower
it?
> > My thought is that perhaps a simple resistor wired into the jack could
> > handle it, but even if that is the proper answer, what value resistor
(even
> > general ballpark)? Sound quality is not an issue, I just need to hear
> > something. Exact volume or adjustability is not an issue. Just a
general
> > reduction of volume by maybe half.
>
> I had the exact same issue when running the radar detector audio through
> my motorcycle intercom system.
>
> What I did was go to Radio Shack and buy an in-line volume control,
> like this one:

<http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=42-2
559>

> I just connected this in and adjusted the volume to where it was
comfortable,
> and sealed the whole unit up with the rest of the wiring. Worked great.

Put a series resistor in series with the output to the earphone. Since you
are dealing with very low power, a standard 1/2 to 1 Watt pot would work. I
would use a 1 k pot with a standard earbud type earphone. These are usually
about 40 ohms or so.

Go to any electronics parts supplier for a 1 k pot. It is not critical for
you about the type of taper that it is.

--

Jerry G.
=====