Sign in with
Your question

Can I use Motherboard VGA and Graphics Card will still perform?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 7:24:07 PM

Hi, I am making a new build, but I have a dilemma

Can I use the VGA ports on my motherboard and my graphics card will still work through the PCI-E and will output the renders on my VGA port to my monitor? OR do I have to buy a DVI to VGA adapter which will go into the GFX card and render games on my monitor? I don't know, I just bought some parts today and a £10 VGA cable :p 

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:27:05 PM

You can only use either the Onboard (connected to the mobo) or Dedicated graphics card (graphics card in the pci e slot) You cannot use both.

Most graphic cards will come with an adapter for Hdmi to vga, DVI to vga etc.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:31:48 PM

You can use both if you are planning on using a multi display setup yes. Otherwise I would just use your graphics card.
Related resources
January 23, 2013 7:35:24 PM

Okay, so a XFX 7770 would come with an adapter? As its a cheap card?
January 23, 2013 7:37:43 PM

I should of looked before asking and It doesn't! Oh noes! What do I do now that I can't use my dedicated graphics when I get my build?
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:38:18 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You can use both if you are planning on using a multi display setup yes. Otherwise I would just use your graphics card.
[/flash]

That depends on if the MOBO supports it. Typically your going to be forced to use one or the other. (in my experience)

For multi display I'd still only use the graphics card.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:39:29 PM

FoxwoodForgemoor said:
I should of looked before asking and It doesn't! Oh noes! What do I do now that I can't use my dedicated graphics when I get my build?

DVI to AVG adapters are cheap. Like $5. Run to your local best buy and grab one when your card comes in.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:42:21 PM

An adapter for what VGA. Typically they do but its hard to say however you normally can pick them up. I was watching a Linus tech tips video and I recall him saying that not all dvi connections are capable of going back to vga.

a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:43:32 PM

unoriginal1 said:
That depends on if the MOBO supports it. Typically your going to be forced to use one or the other. (in my experience)

For multi display I'd still only use the graphics card.

I agree less of a hassle honestly.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 7:48:18 PM

bigshootr8 said:
An adapter for what VGA. Typically they do but its hard to say however you normally can pick them up. I was watching a Linus tech tips video and I recall him saying that not all dvi connections are capable of going back to vga.

Great Point! +1

@OP here is a list of the different interfaces for DVI. What bigshootr is talking about (if you refer to the link) you'll see that DVI-D interfaces lack the C1, C2, C3, C4. I may or may not be correct here. But im assuming these would be an example of DVI that cannot convert to VGA because of the lack of those "analog" pins. So worth checking first.

Again, Don't take what im saying as 100% a little research would be healthy for the wallet ;) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

*edit* just found this part. "A passive DVI-to-VGA adapter. Requires the analog signals provided by DVI-I or DVI-A."
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 8:29:51 PM

It's a coin flip your card may or may not support it based on the pin layout of the dvi connection.
January 23, 2013 8:34:05 PM

okay, cool, i am sure the XFX card that i am getting supports it. Thanks for all your help!
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 8:41:50 PM

Not a problem. So unoriginal its DVI-D that doesn't have the pins supportive of a VGA adapter?
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 8:47:32 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Not a problem. So unoriginal its DVI-D that doesn't have the pins supportive of a VGA adapter?

To my understanding yes. But I have zero "live" testing with it. Tbh i haven't really paid much attention to it when i have used an adapter :p 

But ya.. The DVI-D are the interfaces that are missing the analog 1 2 3 and 4 pins/slots.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 9:10:11 PM

Yea, I gotcha. VGA has been heavily phased out anyway. I'm using a Display Port cord now. I like it a lot thus far. With the lower quality of the VGA cable it just doesn't make sense anymore really other than to support legacy monitors.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 9:25:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Yea, I gotcha. VGA has been heavily phased out anyway. I'm using a Display Port cord now. I like it a lot thus far. With the lower quality of the VGA cable it just doesn't make sense anymore really other than to support legacy monitors.

Agreed. Love display port, I think it will be to hdmi what Dvi was to vga eventually. Just wished the monitors that supported display port weren't so darn expensive!

Ah and just an fyi. Found in the reading.

DVI-A = Analog only
DVI-D = Digital only
DVI-I = Integrated and supports both (love how we can't just use this as a standard and save everyone money ;)  )
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 9:33:40 PM

I really hope you are right with display port its just really great no royalty cost on the cables which leads to cheaper cables. And DVI-I is great unless you are aiming for a higher resolution displays they won't work.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 9:50:35 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I really hope you are right with display port its just really great no royalty cost on the cables which leads to cheaper cables. And DVI-I is great unless you are aiming for a higher resolution displays they won't work.

Is that a bandwidth limitation? Or is it because it is limited to RGB only?
I don't know to to much about graphics but always learning.

I know display ports bandwidth is something ridiculous like over 21 Gbits/s where as dvi is like 4
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 9:54:05 PM

I think it may be a bandwidth limitation I know that the digital versions are needed for 2560x1600 and for 120hz screens as well if I'm not mistaken.
!