GTX 660 Ti Screen Tear -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushkhour

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I recently built a new computer and when browsing, I get no screen tear. However when ever im on Steam or playing a Steam game such as CSGO and TF2, I get screen tear which is really annoying. Does anybody know any fixes? Also I dont really want to use vsync because it has mouse lag and defeats the purpose of having a 660Ti imo.

Solution
You are probably overpowering the games that you are currently playing CS:GO and TF2 both of which are very non intensive games and will more then likely really overstress the game. I would turn on adaptive vsync since you have a nvidia card and give that a try.

1564fcc2_NVCPL-AdapativeVSync-650.png

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/DAiPmazmR_M?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash]
You are probably overpowering the games that you are currently playing CS:GO and TF2 both of which are very non intensive games and will more then likely really overstress the game. I would turn on adaptive vsync since you have a nvidia card and give that a try.

1564fcc2_NVCPL-AdapativeVSync-650.png

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/DAiPmazmR_M?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash]

Solution

rushkhour

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

its a Dell 23" that supports 1080p and im using a VGA-DVI adapter. i guess i can try HDMI

I do it by application. I don't with everything. You may need to add it to the list. Here is an example where counter strike source is. You shouldn't have to with normal content. Hope this all makes sense you really don't need to adaptive vsync anything other than games.

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\username\counter-strike source\cstrike

rushkhour

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

thank you, also does adaptive vsync mess with aim like normal vsync does?

rushkhour

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

so in nvidia control panel, i put global vsync setting on default, but i went under program settings to steam, i put vsync on adaptive. should this do the trick?

No, I'll explain vsync for you. So vsync works like this it will limit you to the fresh rate of your monitor at all times if your sceen becomes unable to keep up with the fresh rate of your monitor the frames will drop until your screen and graphic card are able to match up. Which does work it helps the situation however what you do in the process is in some cases you can drop from lets say you were at 70 frames per second will vsync could push you down to say 30 frames not be stable and then push down again to 15 then be stable and then your frames would slowly crawl back up.

With adaptive basically vsync only turns on when you reach above your refresh rate. So when you hit 60 FPS it turns on when you go below it turns off. if you have a 120hz monitor when you go above 120 fps it kicks in when you go below it turns off. It's not going to constantly push your frame rate down till your screen catches up.

I'm not sure. That may just be a setting for steam itself. I would find the exe for the games that you experience tearing with in the program tab in nvidia 3d settings and then set them to adaptive. Because you weren't experiencing tearing with your desktop/internet experience prior to adaptive being turned on.

rushkhour

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

got it, i will just add the specific game by going through program files, thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.