Can I get away with a 7850?

Hi all,
Am looking to upgrade my gpu and wondering what the best card i will be able to run is (would prefer not to change psu). Would like to get a 7850 but think it might be too much for the rig. I have heard of people using cards with a higher tdp on the same power supply but thought i would get some other opinions.

System is :

Dell T3400 Workstation

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 (B3 I think)

Dell TP412 MOBO

2x 2GB DDR2

250GB Sata HDD

375W PSU (has x2 12V rails each at 18A and one 6 pin connector)

I will be playing games like Arkham City, Crysis, Far Cry 3, but only in 1280x768

Cheers in advance!!
7 answers Last reply
More about 7850
  1. The 7750 or 7770 will match your other components better and should be able to handle that resolution. A 7850 will be pushing your psu a bit and will most likely be bottle necked by the rest of your system.
  2. Was looking at a 7770 initially, but thought about a 7850 as they're not much more and to leave me with the option to put it in a new rig in the future. If it is going to be pushing it too much might just go for the 7770 as I don't want to be stuck with nothing! Cheers!!
  3. In that case, what would be the best 7770 for over clocking? Have been looking at the XFX DD edition, or the Asus DirectCU.
  4. And have just found the MSI with twin fans
  5. I doubt a HD 7870 would give you any trouble, based on this graph from the 7870 review (bottom one): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-19.html
  6. your cpu will be a bottleneck for anything above a 7770, not to mention your power supply will not be capable of powering any more than that. At such a low resolution there is REALL no need for anything better than 7770 anyway. If you planned on going to 1080p resolution i would say the 7850, but you will find your performance limited in most games by your slow cpu, and the 7850 may be pushing your PSU a bit too hard.
  7. forgot to mention i was going to upgrade to 1080p in the next couple of months which is also why i was thinking of going for the 7850, but dont want to blow anything if i put it in this current system..
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics