p1nk_f1oyd

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
i am currently trying to set up a small office with about 17 computers and 4-5 wireless printers
i was wondering if anyone could help me find some good

server (im not sure if i should use a dedicated server or make one out of a pc)
which operating system i should go with
anti virus,
server racks,
cabling,
connections,
switches,
and routers with a CSU/DSU

any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated

edit- cost is not a concern

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
You provide not enough information....need to know what can of the role each computer doing... what kind of budget .... what kind of data they will share.... application running on localsystem or server?

just see budget is not a issue... how about knowledge...do you set up any window server or linux server before...?

p1nk_f1oyd

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

i am not exactly sure if i should use a local system or a server the main focus for these computers is pretty much a conference office style building. there are 2 computer labs one with 4 computer the other with 9 and then about 8 room with just one single computer. All the computers are hp computer using windows and the shared programs would be things like microsoft office, powerpoint etc

also im sure this is an important part to add there are 45 voip phone i have pictures of the floor layout with all the rooms that i can upload soon

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Make it simple... if all system just working individual they don't need share much of file you can set as a workgroup .... you don't need any server ... if you need a file server for storage data and share for each other... then the budget way is use a linux file server you can buy a NAS such as Qnap... you cannot just use anothe window pc for file storage because it is more than 10 system... Only max 10 system can concurrent access the data....

if you want to set it in a domain way all the people can login to the domain and want all their email / local setting / file save in the server ... then you can use a MS SBS 2011...and need to set up a domain server ..

p1nk_f1oyd

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

alright cool thanks a lot i think i will probably go with the domain server any tips on hardware?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
That really depend on the business model of yoru comany ...

Do yu need VPN connect to other office?
If lot of application will running thur the server ... then get dual Xeon ... ..HP have some good deal if buy with the whole package .... this looking for $5000- $7000 set up with software at least

If alll application running local system just file share ... then depend how busy the file server will be ... if heavy duty get SAS with Mirror or RAID 5

I see you buy HP system make sure they all have window 7 Pro ... if they only come with Home Prem... they cannot login to Domain Server...

and I know you have wireless printer .... better just use the LAN one and disable the wireless function...

Will suggest use fix IP address for all the system... you can even use the router to assign fix IP to each mac address....

Will you use a seperate router or the DOmain server will also do as DHCP server...

Still have a lot detail parts need to concern...

p1nk_f1oyd

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
could you maybe point me in the right direction when it comes to a nice hp packages. it would be nice to be able to connect to other offices in the future but at the moment it does not need to connect to another office. only through video conferences (maybe)