Boost a non detachable antenna pci wifi card

TEEKO20

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
is there a way to boost a wifi signal to a non detachable antenna pci wireless card?so i can get better signal of free access point,i don't want to go and buy another card with a detachable antenna,which i know i can do alot more to boost with these type of cards,but
money wise can't afford to buy 1 now.
any help will be appreciated.
thank you

RealBeast

Titan
You could try changing radio channels if nearby networks are interfering, also watch out for other sources of interference -- wireless phones, wireless speakers/headphones, microwaves, etc. You can't really do anything with the card as it has a fixed antenna.

TEEKO20

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
thnk you all for your replies, but i was thinking more of a home made trick, something that will help me to boost my signal with little money to spent or no money :)
would this work, if i cut off the top part of the antenna and solder a copper wire to it with coils , i was thinking using a part of coax cable copper, peel off the rubber seal and cut a 7" long of copper cable and solder to the wire of the antenna.
thanks for all your help.

TEEKO20

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
hello again, just a quick up date.
i build 2 antenna out of cable tv copper wire,just what i said i would do,first 1 I've made had 7 coils of 2 mm apart from each other,first i measure 1" and made a small bend to start the coil process ,used a WOOD screw to do the coils just wrap around the wire till you get 7 coils,.
from the end of the last coil, i left the top part of the antenna of 75mm long.
after all was done went ahead and cut the 1" part of the antenna to 3/4 long this part was solder to the stock antenna, which is a small wire about 1 1/6 long,solder the tip of the wire with my new antenna.
after all was done i re install the wireless card to pci slot,wasn't sure if i had damage my only wireless card the i have,but i thought of desoldering just in case if was not going to work,anyways...after starting windows xp, the new hard ware detection wizard pop out,asking to install my driver,so i was happy to see that windows had detected my card,and it was still working.
i've installed the utility card and driver and went ahead to some set up in the utility and Bang! my card had increased from 3db to 6db, made my web surfing much faster and download videos.
but a day after went ahead and made another antenna to see if i would get more signal strength and to see what happens if instead of 1 pack of 7 coils i would make with 3 packs of 8/7/3,first pack of 8 turns of coil,second 7 turns of coils and last 3 turns.
well to make this short,the measurement were,3/4 of inch from the first pack of 8 turns,then space of 91 mm approx, then the pack of 7 turns, another space of 91mm and final pack of 3 turns of coil leaving the tip of the antenna of 1 1/2 from the last coil.
over all length approx 11".
and this time i cut the stock wire antenna to 1/4 of an inch, peel off the plastic cover 1/8 of an inch to exposed the wire and solder to my new extension copper wire antenna.
i cut the stock wire antenna shorter to 1/4 to make better contact to the new extension antenna and hopefully this will help me to increase a flow of signal strength.
after re installing and doing all the setups for the card....Bang! from 3db to 10 db,but is not steady at 10 db it drops to 8 db,i'm see how figure this out how to keep it at 10 db. but is much better than 3db to 5/6 db now at 8/10 db
but there you have it, it works and my web browsing is way much faster,like if i had some cable internet connection,which i had the cable broad band service before, that is why i know the difference of the speed now..
Happy camper :hello: