Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help choosing the best HD 7970 Ghz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2013 8:55:26 PM

These are the two cards I am looking at right now.
I can't seem to find any solid numbers on which card would be better at games like Dirt 3 and Battlefield 3
I love XFX and their lifetime warranty
I don't know much of anything about HIS

Any input would be great. Other suggestions welcome.

HIS H797QMC3G2M Radeon HD 7970 GHz $419.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz $449.99

More about : choosing 7970 ghz

Best solution

January 23, 2013 9:14:24 PM

I just got the 7970 Vapor-X GHz a couple days ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A lot of people told me that it was the best choice, and the cooling is excellent. Mine has been idling at 29 degrees, and has never gone above 55 degrees. I have been playing games like Far Cry 3, Fallout 3, Battlefield 3, and Arma 2. The only downside I can say is that if the fan spins up past 65% (which mine never has, but it's winter after all), then it sounds like a jet taking off. Anything under 50% is inaudible compared to my case fans. I'm not too sure about the cards you picked, but that is just my input on the Vapor-X. Oh also it has better parts which has apparently gotten rid of coil whine, which a lot of 7970s seem to suffer from. Oh and a very minor downside, at least for me, is that it has a white LED light on it, but you might be able to turn that off somehow.
January 23, 2013 9:20:01 PM

I would get a vapor x if I were you. Got a 7950 a few months back, and I regret not investing the extra penny for the best version of the card.
Related resources
January 23, 2013 9:27:22 PM

Well coil whine is quite annoying so having components does help. Also, in terms of the light that really bugs I have a similar light radiating from my sound card kind of bugs. I would say the Vapor-X is the strongest contender for the Ghz cards. You have the Matrix card which is completely overpriced for what it is. I would pass on the Gigabyte card, and the HIS card. Keep in mind as well with Tim's temperatures that cards normally in the higher tier range of cards normally top out around 65-75 to have a card get down to 55 and not really push above it is quiet impressive.

you can see there isn't much option for ghz cards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=112
January 24, 2013 2:36:51 AM

You could get the normal 7970, but it won't overclock as well because its heat sink isn't as good, and ghz tend to be able to overclock more. The 7970 is fine either way though.
January 24, 2013 2:38:23 AM

The only reason I don't really like the non vapor-x cards is that they do not come with the better components on there PCB's

Black Diamond Choke & Full Solid Cap Design

Choke is an important component of the graphics card. By working with the component engineer, Sapphire’s patent pending choke is 10% cooler and offers 25% more power efficiency than a normal choke. The graphics card will be more reliable and save energy.

Improved reliability and better overclocking are possible by using only high-polymer, aluminum capacitors which posses far superior characteristics than regular aluminum capacitor for a longer product life. When operational temperatures drop by 20°C, the product life span is extended by a factor of ten, when the operational temperature increases by 20°C, the product life span only decreases by 10%.
January 24, 2013 2:39:17 AM

Well since the vapor-x is the same price as the ones he was originally planning on getting, I think it's definitely worth getting the vapor-x over the standard. Better cooling, and higher grade parts. I've seen countless reports of coil whine on the standard Sapphire 7970 which is why I wouldn't recommend it.
January 24, 2013 2:45:23 AM

As seen on other posts, one major drawback from the Vapor-X is crossfire is not possible when leaving a space between two of them, unless you modify the HSF casing. If you plan to crossfire at any point, I would not get the Vapor-X.
January 24, 2013 2:48:49 AM

+1 Vapor-X.
January 24, 2013 2:59:49 AM

Unless you are planning on grabbing more screens to toss into eyefinity I would say you are pretty safe with a single card. And by the time you needed a new card you could purchase another single gpu solution.
January 24, 2013 3:05:05 AM

I suppose the only way you could crossfire is by getting a different 7970 and putting the vapor-x on the bottom.
January 24, 2013 3:58:58 AM

Or perhaps if you were to spend that much on a crossfire system you would have a motherboard that would have more then 1 slot spacing in a crossfire setup and use a larger quad crossfire bridge.
January 24, 2013 1:17:36 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Or perhaps if you were to spend that much on a crossfire system you would have a motherboard that would have more then 1 slot spacing in a crossfire setup and use a larger quad crossfire bridge.

The problem is, with a single slot between the cards, there is no crossfire bridge large enough to reach the 2nd card while wrapping around the HSF. All crossfire bridges are single bridges, and the largest you can buy is 100mm, which cannot wrap around the Vapor-X HSF and reach the other card.
January 24, 2013 4:49:34 PM

Hmm, so no flex bridges like you get with SLi what a bummer that really seems very restricting. I know with cards like the 3 slot ASUS cards that you would want something a bit larger but I take it that is about as large of a bridge as you will get.

This as an example.
January 24, 2013 5:16:10 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Hmm, so no flex bridges like you get with SLi what a bummer that really seems very restricting. I know with cards like the 3 slot ASUS cards that you would want something a bit larger but I take it that is about as large of a bridge as you will get.

This as an example.

The 100mm cf bridge works on most 3 slot cards with a slot of space between, but not the Vapor-X, because the crossfire bridge has to also go up and around the HSF plastic. It really is a poor design on that aspect, as there is no reason the plastic had to be there.
January 24, 2013 7:03:36 PM

Ah I see because of the shroud it makes it difficult to route a bridge there. I hope companies will start making longer routed bridges I'm sure there isn't much into creating a interlink between two cards.
January 24, 2013 10:18:44 PM

Best answer selected by dwisen.
!