Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTA 4 Awful

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 24, 2013 12:32:43 AM

I just brought the game today, installed it and was VERY VERY dissapointed.

Im rinning a Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x BTW.

I right away stuck it on MAX settings and i hit 20FPS.

So i stuck it on Lowest of low settings and hit 45 FPS.

What could be causing this ?

More about : gta awful

a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 12:35:27 AM

wats ur system setup? games are very gpu depent but if ur cpu isnt great well theres ur issue, maybe not ur setup, drivers, etc.
January 24, 2013 1:24:34 AM

BigMack70 said:
It's one of the worst ports of all time and it's horridly CPU bound... what is your CPU?

AMD II x4 945 @ 3.6Hz
Related resources
January 24, 2013 1:31:45 AM

It's not you. I have a video editing/extreme gaming setup (i7-3930k OC, GTX 690) and the game maxes out at about 55FPS. Even drops below 20 sometimes when there is a lot being rendered (raining, in water, etc.) GTA4 Is just a console port, so it isn’t even optimized to run on good pc hardware. My friend has a machine with a i7-3610QM + GTX 630, and gets about 35-40FPS. Really wish Rockstar would show some love for us PC gamers :( 
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 2:02:27 AM

you should be getting way more than 20 fps though, I have a Phenom 2 @ 3.8 ghz and 2 560ti's in sli (I think it doesn't even support sli though) and get 50-60 fps maxed out
January 24, 2013 2:56:01 AM

It's the game. It probably responds differently to different setups. Hopefully GTA 5 is ported well because I definitely want it on PC...
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 3:03:58 AM

Gonna have to lower some settings there. Yup. The obvious answer is you're running out of memory, but you got 16GB, so who knows what's going on there
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 3:04:38 AM

20fps is bad for hd 7950 even i get 43fps at max. Try this settings and see: 1)update the gta 4 patch to v 1.0.0.4 (very important) 2)Try to set vsync to off 3) update the latest drivers.
January 24, 2013 3:22:21 AM

damn.. this thread is making me nervous for GTA 5.. Their probably just going to do another crappy port for the PC... its a shame that GTA used to kick ass on the PC back in the day then slowly transitioned their focus on consoles....

Bastards
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 3:34:27 AM

GTA4 is the prime example of why Rockstar games should stick to making console games and not bring the Red Dead series over to PC. ^To Kjoz; GTA5 hasn't been announced for PC as of yet. All GTA4 was, Was an extremely poorly optimized game. These guys should learn from capcom. DMC4 has to be the best optimized game ever to be released in my opinion. It had better graphics than GTA4 and could STILL run on an old pentium 4 with settings on high
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 3:38:13 AM

Your CPU is also bottlenecking your GPU.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 3:38:56 AM

Answering OP's question; Dude.. totally not your fault. You could have an i7 3770k and still lag on that game.. Its a bit too CPU dependant. Although people with an Athlon X3 have been noted to run it better than everyone else.. I think its because its a unchanged console port and from what i know the XBOX utilizes 3 cores so that might be the reason why
January 24, 2013 4:49:50 AM

lol maybe disable 1 core and it would work better?
January 24, 2013 5:54:53 AM

haider95 said:
GTA4 is the prime example of why Rockstar games should stick to making console games and not bring the Red Dead series over to PC. ^To Kjoz; GTA5 hasn't been announced for PC as of yet. All GTA4 was, Was an extremely poorly optimized game. These guys should learn from capcom. DMC4 has to be the best optimized game ever to be released in my opinion. It had better graphics than GTA4 and could STILL run on an old pentium 4 with settings on high


damn really? No announcement for the PC yet... what a bummer...
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:03:09 AM

Yes some say that gta 5 has less chance to be released in pc.Really heart breaking!!
January 24, 2013 6:09:02 AM

Wonder why they have no love for the PC anymore...? Guessing smaller market then the console market?
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:11:28 AM

Install Icenhancer 2.1 and the Ultimate Texture for GTA IV. I got quite a bit of a frame rate improvement, and also looks much better. Not sure if it'll help you though.
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:12:35 AM

If they not release in pc then it is sure that gta 5 will be flop and rockstar will be in big loss.
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:14:17 AM

May be they are releasing in xbox as gta 5 can be huge system hungry as we know the problems of gta 4.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:30:30 AM

ASHISH65 said:
May be they are releasing in xbox as gta 5 can be huge system hungry as we know the problems of gta 4.

Hell no Ash have you seen the graphics on GTA4? They're not that good it all looks like a giant blurry crap to me.. They shouldn't be releasing GTA5 if its gonna be poorly optimized like GTA4 was. Also, heard the latest? Dead Space 3 is gonna be a straight console port too according to toms latest news.
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:42:54 AM

^ i mean to say gta 4 was not so good for decent cpu even some good cpu had problems running gta 4 well like how op has problem.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:48:32 AM

They should give it over to Square ala Sleeping Dogs. I can dream can't I ?
January 24, 2013 12:36:28 PM

haider95 said:
Hell no Ash have you seen the graphics on GTA4? They're not that good it all looks like a giant blurry crap to me.. They shouldn't be releasing GTA5 if its gonna be poorly optimized like GTA4 was. Also, heard the latest? Dead Space 3 is gonna be a straight console port too according to toms latest news.


lol damn... Dead Space 3 also.. Was actually looking forward to that one also (Huge Dead Space fan)
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 1:15:59 PM

this might be a bit uncalled for in your thread but i just had to say this......
well the "market" on pc's is a lot smaller than consoles.
by "market" is mean sales.
it's not like the pc gamers are a lot less compared to xbox or ps3,
crysis 2 was pirated 4.7 million times and witcher 2 was 4 million times!!
and these are just round figures and still inaccurate,
counting other means of piracy like pirated cd's or just pendrives shared between friends etc. the number will easily go to 5 million!!
plus count the people that have bought the game!!
so unless people have pirated the same game over and over again,
thegamers in PC Gaming are a nice big lot.
the ONLY problem is

"PIRACY"
can u imagine if the people who bought crysis 2 and the huge amount of people who pirated the game had actually bought the game!!
it would have been more than 5 million!!
considering crysis 2 only sold 3 million copies total it is a HUGE number!!
damn if pc gamers had bought this game crysis 3 might have been a pc exclusive!!!
and looked a lot better than it does now!
if all the pc gamers stop pirating games,
only then will this problem end.....
otherwise the future does not look bright to me
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 1:20:54 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
this might be a bit uncalled for in your thread but i just had to say this......
well the "market" on pc's is a lot smaller than consoles.
by "market" is mean sales.
it's not like the pc gamers are a lot less compared to xbox or ps3,
crysis 2 was pirated 4.7 million times and witcher 2 was 4 million times!!
and these are just round figures and still inaccurate,
counting other means of piracy like pirated cd's or just pendrives shared between friends etc. the number will easily go to 5 million!!
plus count the people that have bought the game!!
so unless people have pirated the same game over and over again,
thegamers in PC Gaming are a nice big lot.
the ONLY problem is

"PIRACY"
can u imagine if the people who bought crysis 2 and the huge amount of people who pirated the game had actually bought the game!!
it would have been more than 5 million!!
considering crysis 2 only sold 3 million copies total it is a HUGE number!!
damn if pc gamers had bought this game crysis 3 might have been a pc exclusive!!!
and looked a lot better than it does now!
if all the pc gamers stop pirating games,
only then will this problem end.....
otherwise the future does not look bright to me


Well some people do buy the games if they like the it after they downloaded it. If demos were still being released as in old day I wouldn't imagine the numbers would be that high. Most of the times it comes down to people not wanting to pay for a game they supect to be crap and the only way to make sure you don't get ripped off is to download a game to try it out first. I wish demos would make a comeback. I hate buying a game not knowing if it runs well on the PC. (FYI I do buy my games)
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 1:32:05 PM

Mahisse said:
Well some people do buy the games if they like the it after they downloaded it. If demos were still being released as in old day I wouldn't imagine the numbers would be that high. Most of the times it comes down to people not wanting to pay for a game they supect to be crap and the only way to make sure you don't get ripped off is to download a game to try it out first. I wish demos would make a comeback. I hate buying a game not knowing if it runs well on the PC. (FYI I do buy my games)

okay but do u think 100% people think this??
okay first of all crysis 2 was not bad game and worth the money even for pc,
yeah they didn't give more graphics customization but the game looke good right?
okay so maybe crysis 2 maybe a matter about opinion,
but what about witcher 2??
do u think there is someone who said
"the game ain't good enough"??
the games are pirated on a larger basis than they are bought,
and also crysis 2 had a multiplayer demo and witcher 2 had a onlive like demo.
dosent matter what u say u cannot argue with the fact that piracy is highest in pc gaming and sales a lot less than consoles.
this is what is making pc gamers look bad in the dev's eyes.
and considering that making a game on xbox or ps3 is easier than making it on pc i'm not too surprised for the favour of consoles recently.
well, lets see what does the next gen brings to us, it brings unexpected changes i just wish it would make things better for pc
January 24, 2013 1:41:13 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
this might be a bit uncalled for in your thread but i just had to say this......
well the "market" on pc's is a lot smaller than consoles.
by "market" is mean sales.
it's not like the pc gamers are a lot less compared to xbox or ps3,
crysis 2 was pirated 4.7 million times and witcher 2 was 4 million times!!
and these are just round figures and still inaccurate,
counting other means of piracy like pirated cd's or just pendrives shared between friends etc. the number will easily go to 5 million!!
plus count the people that have bought the game!!
so unless people have pirated the same game over and over again,
thegamers in PC Gaming are a nice big lot.
the ONLY problem is

"PIRACY"
can u imagine if the people who bought crysis 2 and the huge amount of people who pirated the game had actually bought the game!!
it would have been more than 5 million!!
considering crysis 2 only sold 3 million copies total it is a HUGE number!!
damn if pc gamers had bought this game crysis 3 might have been a pc exclusive!!!
and looked a lot better than it does now!
if all the pc gamers stop pirating games,
only then will this problem end.....
otherwise the future does not look bright to me


I think piracy could be small part of the issues that is affecting games being released on the PC, but the consoles are not immune to the same problem. If you take a look at the snatches count on public/private trackers, the numbers are pretty much equal.. (Maybe the PC versions has a few more)

I was watching a Blizzard documentary on WoW (or could have been SC2) and they mentioned that one of the major issues with working with the PC is all the possible hardware combinations that need to be supported. With consoles, you know what every single user will be using as their hardware...

The other thing I think is a huge contribution is how expensive PC's can be to play these games.. In this economy, its a lot easier to fork over $300 and get a console then $1,000 - $1,500 to build a decent rig.. I mean I've just build one and it ended up costing me $1,500 (Monitor, keybaord, mouse, speakers etc..) and I was going the more economical route!! Or I could have headed to Costco, pick up a xbox bundle for $300 and just connect it to my 54" TV, and I am set... (no battles with drivers, no forking over another $100 for Windows etc..)
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 1:45:28 PM

kjoz said:
I think piracy could be small part of the issues that is affecting games being released on the PC, but the consoles are not immune to the same problem. If you take a look at the snatches count on public/private trackers, the numbers are pretty much equal.. (Maybe the PC versions has a few more)

I was watching a Blizzard documentary on WoW (or could have been SC2) and they mentioned that one of the major issues with working with the PC is all the possible hardware combinations that need to be supported. With consoles, you know what every single user will be using as their hardware...

The other thing I think is a huge contribution is how expensive PC's can be to play these games.. In this economy, its a lot easier to fork over $300 and get a console then $1,000 - $1,500 to build a decent rig.. I mean I've just build one and it ended up costing me $1,500 (Monitor, keybaord, mouse, speakers etc..) and I was going the more economical route!! Or I could have headed to Costco, pick up a xbox bundle for $300 and just connect it to my 54" TV, and I am set... (no battles with drivers, no forking over another $100 for Windows etc..)

i already mentioned that making pc game is more difficult
also all points u made were legit and resonable but let me as u just 1 question,
"do u think this would have been the case if pc sales were 5 million?"
January 24, 2013 2:19:09 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
i already mentioned that making pc game is more difficult
also all points u made were legit and resonable but let me as u just 1 question,
"do u think this would have been the case if pc sales were 5 million?"


Sales on both PC's and Console's are very subjective.. Some consider a pre-order a sale (even when only $2-3 was put down and the game wasn't even purchased and never bought). The term is called channel stuffing and the two industries that are the WORST perpetrators is the game industry and the auto industry. (Microsoft and Sony have been accused of this MANY times)

Example:

- Crysis 2 Sales Figures: 1.18m (Consoles/PC's) - http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35001/crysis-2/
- Crysis 2 ships 3m (Sales) - http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/26/crysis-2-ships-3-mill...


Digital Sales are not usually counted in these figures either... There's a bunch of different sales figures out there... So, Sales = Bullshit

Only person that knows the exact number is EA and they are not obligated to releasing exact numbers for each game (only has a whole)

So saying, if it sold 5 million, then WHAT? is pretty ridiculous, who knows what the exact sales are.. By a %, consoles might have had more piracy...
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 3:56:58 PM

so........ are u saying that pc are are more than consoles?
January 24, 2013 4:29:13 PM

Nahh, my entire point is that blaming piracy on low PC sales leading to shitty ports is completely ludicrous. More people buy consoles games because there's a lot more people gaming on consoles and not because they don't pirate. ***, there's a store in the mall near here where you can unlock your xbox and get 20 games for $75. (I think the piracy problem is worse on consoles tbh)

Some people don't want to spend $1000 every 3-4 years to upgrade and play the latest games.. Pick up a console, relax until the next ones comes out.. Easy

Even if no one pirated the PC version of Crysis 2 or any other games, the consoles would have still bombed PC sales leaving us in the same spot as before, a crappy PC port because it was made for the console...

The days were the "best" games come out for PC only are dead.. even if no one pirates
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 4:41:35 PM

more or less maybe u r saying the same thing.
i'm really confused about your opinions,
all i am saying is sales on consoles are more than pc sales, leading to game devs focusing on consoles more than on pc
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 4:42:44 PM

haider95 said:
GTA4 is the prime example of why Rockstar games should stick to making console games and not bring the Red Dead series over to PC. ^To Kjoz; GTA5 hasn't been announced for PC as of yet. All GTA4 was, Was an extremely poorly optimized game. These guys should learn from capcom. DMC4 has to be the best optimized game ever to be released in my opinion. It had better graphics than GTA4 and could STILL run on an old pentium 4 with settings on high


I agree DMC4 is nice on pc and and optimized very well actually i like it more so then the new installment
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 4:54:06 PM

determinologyz said:
I agree DMC4 is nice on pc and and optimized very well actually i like it more so then the new installment

i actually did play it on a pentium 4 with onboard graphics!!
and did u play the new installment?
January 24, 2013 5:08:36 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
all i am saying is sales on consoles are more than pc sales, leading to game devs focusing on consoles more than on pc


Agreed my good man!
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 5:24:05 PM

well these are bad days for pc gamers,

as for the orignal question,
yes gta 4 "IS" awful and if u've got the latest patch and drivers and maybe some mods,
and it is still not good enough no one in the whole world can do anything about it!!!!!!
on a side note if u get better FPS with lower settings do that!!
but u'll have to choose between better visuals or more FPS!!
i want both so i lower the resolution a little bit and keep graphics at max so i enjoy both!!!
maybe u can lower the AA too if that helps with better FPS.
or if u r really desperate u can try xbox version by a emulator
(i dont know how good that'll be)
but i'm arfaid that is almost everything i can say about GTA 4... :( 
January 24, 2013 5:32:17 PM

Is Crysis 3 being developed with the PC in mind? Or is it going to be another port?? (Crysis 2 wasn't bad though, so not complaining)

I remember buying Rainbow 6 Vegas on the PC.. Now that was a shitty port compared to what came out for the consoles lol..
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 5:57:04 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
i actually did play it on a pentium 4 with onboard graphics!!
and did u play the new installment?

Actually no. But i've seen enough walkthrough videos of it on youtube and as much as i love the whole series (I actually cried over Vergil falling into the abyss in DMC3) I love how they brought out Dante and Vergils brotherly love in this one. By the end of the game they crack jokes and dante actually gets emotional when mundus pulls vergil away from him. The voice acting is good and they've really focused on dante's past. Say what you may but the combat is good. DMC4's dante was just like an older brother character to nero. Coming back to the point. I played DMC4 with what was it.. A P4 3.0GHz and a 7300GT haha
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:06:44 PM

kjoz said:
Is Crysis 3 being developed with the PC in mind? Or is it going to be another port?? (Crysis 2 wasn't bad though, so not complaining)

I remember buying Rainbow 6 Vegas on the PC.. Now that was a shitty port compared to what came out for the consoles lol..

well,
some people complained over crysis 2 not having too many graphics options to change and the game wasn't demanding either.
so somehow the dev's got the idea to make the game more demanding!!
haven't u heard
"crysis 3 will melt your pc" and they have said it will be more graphically customizable. and they have paid attention to pc
atleast they have not ignored the pc in the game, that is for sure but how well it is optimised will only be found out once it is out!
\remember when crysis 1 came out and it was a bad pc port!!
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 6:49:05 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
i actually did play it on a pentium 4 with onboard graphics!!
and did u play the new installment?



Yea the new installment felt like budget DMC it didnt have that umph to it they should of kept it more so the same instead of changing its not a totally shitty game just its not what dmc 4 was
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 7:55:07 PM

DANTE will never be the same....
and neither will devil may cry.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 7:57:31 PM

determinologyz said:
Yea the new installment felt like budget DMC it didnt have that umph to it they should of kept it more so the same instead of changing its not a totally shitty game just its not what dmc 4 was

i dont know if u know or not,
but they didn't change the game,
they sold it!! it is being developed by ninja theory which is why the new dante has NO CLASS..
no one can match the japanese class of capcom's DANTE
!