GTX 660 ti BSOD

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I recently purchased an EVGA GTX 660 ti 3g to replace an old Radeon HD 5450. After putting the card in my computer, I loaded planetside 2, changed my settings, and my computer crashed. It turns of my displays and attempts to restart my computer. usually just sitting on a black screen until i force it to restart. Since then I have had it crash several times on Planetside, Diablo 3 and a few other games. for some reason it doesnt seem to crash on Portal 2. I get this report when it crashes.

On Tue 1/22/2013 1:58:55 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012113-18049-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B16CC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8004AB76C8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

My computer is getting pretty hot while running these games so ive already ordered a new case and fans because mine just wont cut it. I ran a memtest on my ram and GPU with no errors. Ive also removed any old drivers and made sure my nvidia drivers are up to date.

Could this be caused by overheating or do you think that there is something going on with the GPU.

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
The graphics card itself is not getting hot enough to overheat but it is sitting on top of my southbridge (thanks asus). the rest of my chips are getting very hot. Ive seen them reach 85°c. I usually don't let them get above 75°c though. The odd thing is that I can run portal 2 while it is very hot and its fine but planetside 2 will sometimes crash within 10 minutes.

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I am sorry for the late reply. Things have been crazy. I have solved the heat issue with the new case and fans. Everything is running nice and cool even under heavy load. But the problem persists. Portal still runs fine but planetside 2 and tera still crashes with an x124 blue screen. tera crashes within a minute just sitting on server selection screen.

On Sat 2/2/2013 2:34:59 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020113-25084-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B094C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80058E38F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Everytime it crashes I get this same error. I have ran EVGA oc scanner x and it seems to be fine. I have ran memtest86 and prime95 with no issues. The voltages shown in speedfan idle and under load seem to be fine.
Here is my system Specs.

Windows 7 Pro
m4a88t-v evo/usb2 motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M4A88TV_EVOUSB3/
GTX 660 ti 3g graphics card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130811
Rosewill 850w power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182072
4g ram (not sure the make-model)
Phenom II hex core processor

I installed a fresh copy of windows to limit what could be causing it but its still happening. nothing is installed except the games I am testing, the Nvidia drivers, and speedfan at the moment. I have tried everything that I can think of and I really dont want to RMA the card as I had to RMA the first one I got (DOA).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
So I finally took the advice of lt_dan_zsu and underclocked it. i set a -30mhz offset using precisionX and it seemed to help alot. I was able to play tera for about 30 minutes before BSOD. I called EVGA support and told them about it and they suggested that instead of underclocking it, to up the voltage a tick. So I upped the voltage from 988 to 1000 and it seems to be working fine. I played tera for about 1 1/2 hrs with no crashes. I am going to do some more testing with tera and planetside 2 and I will post the results back here.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Yea I'm not sure why I would have to overvolt it either. I did finally have it freeze on me while in a video in tera. It did not crash and give me a crash report like usual. Do you think that I should just go ahead and rma this one too? And no. Nothing in my computer has ever been overclocked.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

If it was ram he would would be getting memory management in the BSOD i have the same issue from time to time and replacing ram soon so i know its not the ram

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
If you want to leave this thread open for a couple of weeks I will make sure to post my results after I get my new card. I am going to send the card back out tomorrow so i'm looking at 10-12 days to get the new one.

Nazalas

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Well. I have been gaming for the past 2 nights with my new card. Seems that I was just very unlucky and had to go threw 2 bad cards before getting a good one. Thanks everyone for your help.