AV inputs on stereo receiver?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 23, 2004 11:22:06 PM

What purpose are "AV inputs" on a stereo receiver? If output is only
audio, why would you need to input AV? Or are the manufacturers just
using a selling maneuver to indicate that you can hook up the audio
portion of a DVD player or VCR to a stereo receiver? Thanks.

More about : inputs stereo receiver

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:36:20 AM

"D2" <dacosta@hawaii.edu> wrote in message
> What purpose are "AV inputs" on a stereo receiver? If output is only
> audio, why would you need to input AV? Or are the manufacturers just
> using a selling maneuver to indicate that you can hook up the audio
> portion of a DVD player or VCR to a stereo receiver? Thanks.

If you are talking about a newer home theater receiver, the video inputs can
be "switched" by the receiver. That is, you can switch the TV, VHS, DVD
video inputs/outputs via the receiver instead of connecting the DVD and VHS
video directly to the TV.

But many people just bypass the video switching in the receiver and hook the
DVD and VHS directly to the TV. This is partly because the receiver
switching is bound to degrade the signal somewhat in theory (even if you
can't tell in a double blind test), and also because the switching on some
receivers is surprisingly slow (delayed for about 5 seconds).
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 6:32:57 AM

"D2" <dacosta@hawaii.edu> wrote in message
> What purpose are "AV inputs" on a stereo receiver? If output is only
> audio, why would you need to input AV? Or are the manufacturers just
> using a selling maneuver to indicate that you can hook up the audio
> portion of a DVD player or VCR to a stereo receiver? Thanks.

If you hook up 2 sources, you can use the receiver to switch between them,
both the audio portion AND the video portion, automatically.

Kendall

June 24, 2004 1:34:31 PM

In <b2197134.0406231822.cf8e94f@posting.google.com>, on 06/23/04
at 07:22 PM, dacosta@hawaii.edu (D2) said:

>What purpose are "AV inputs" on a stereo receiver? If output is only
>audio, why would you need to input AV? Or are the manufacturers just
>using a selling maneuver to indicate that you can hook up the audio
>portion of a DVD player or VCR to a stereo receiver? Thanks.

"A/V" implies that there is a video input associated with at least some
of the audio inputs.

This facility allows one to use the TV as a dumb monitor and accomplish
all the switching from the receiver. Operationally, it's a good way to
go.

Unfortunately, one doesn't know what kind of video the A/V receiver
will deal with. If you need S-VIDEO or component video, be sure to
check the receiver's capability. Also check to see if the A/V receiver
has enough video inputs for your application. Many current units have
only two component video inputs, but more and more users have three
component sources.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
June 24, 2004 6:13:38 PM