Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

jddg5wa

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hi. I am not sure the protocol to asking questions here but I finally thought I might ask one that has been trouble for me recently. I searched around for what might be the problem. I updated driver graphics to no avail. The temperature is usually fine during anything I am doing. Usually I get a black screen and that error when I am doing anything with heavy graphics such as 3D rendering or a video game.

My computer is over 6 years old and has not been giving me any trouble until recently. Other than that I will leave it on and come back a couple of hours later and it will be shut off. I know no one shut it off and it has never shut itself off before.

While running anything with 3d graphics my GPU temp gets to around 55-60c which from what I know is OK for the card.

I have no money to use for replacing parts currently so I have not been able to test with different parts. I mostly just want to know what I should replace in the future.

I did run this program http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe and any of the tests instantly raise the temperature of the computer to scary heights. It raises fast enough that I don't want to run the test for long.

Here are my specs.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/24/2013, 03:34:45
Machine name: IDEABITE-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: RS780
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7936MB RAM
Page File: 5147MB used, 10720MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
Shared Memory: 3711 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: ACER X233H
Monitor Id: ACR00A8
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI

Solution
That's a bit lengthy, just list your hardware.

You have a Gigabyte motherboard?
Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and...
That's a bit lengthy, just list your hardware.

You have a Gigabyte motherboard?
Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...

Solution
G

Try uninstalling your ATI drivers and getting the latest one from here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_xp64.aspx

Also 6 years..open the case and clean it. Maybe there's too much dust in there.

jddg5wa

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I don't know much about the motherboard. The computer was one that was put together already. Is there something wrong with that type of motherboard?

I don't have any firewalls or anti-virus programs running.

Also with uninstalling these types of drivers can I just uninstall it regularly or will there be any files I'd need to find and delete after uninstalling?

Anyways I'll try all this and see if updating the drivers fixes the problem.

jddg5wa

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Well I managed to get everything uninstalled and reinstalled. I gave it a couple of days and tried to recreate the scenarios where it would have issues with no trouble at all.

Thanks for all the help.

I hope that was the issue and that it won't come up again. It still doesn't make sense to have been the drivers. I haven't had any trouble before. Can drivers just go out of date/give problems like that even if the hardware in my computer stays the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.