G

I'm looking into purchasing a dual 2 GHz xeon workstation. I have several questions about the DDR vs. RDR issue and would appreciate any knowlegable advice.

(a)I've read much about an up to 15% performace difference for P4's, but can't find any tests on xeons. Would it be fair to assume that the same is true? If so, how noticeable is a 15% increase in speed?

(b)How serious are the "signal integrity issues" referred to in the column on rambus serial vs. ddr parallel? And what, exactly, is meant by this term? Are we talking about 1's changing into 0's and vice versa?

Thanks for any help.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't believe there are any RDRAM P4 Xeon platforms, am I wrong?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

FatBurger

Illustrious
It would have to be the P4 version to be 2GHz. The P3 doesn't go that high.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

G

Intel has a PIII Xeon and another chip that they just called the xeon. I believe there's going to be a P4 Xeon that's not out yet. See...

http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/products/workstation/midhigh/xeon.htm?iid=ipp_srvr_proc_xeon+xeon_dual&

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
The current 2.0 and 2.2GHz Xeons are P4s.

Intel's current i860 DP chipset supports dual-channel RDRAM. Serverwork's more popular chipsets also offer dual-channel DDR. Intel has just announced the new e7500 dual processor, dual-channel chipset for DDR to compete with Serverworks.

The Serverworks chipset based systems are expensive, but dual-channel DDR has higher over-clock potential (5333MB/s DDR333 vs. 3200MB/s PC800 or 4266MB/s PC1066 RDRAM) - you may want to wait for e7500 based mobos.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ath0mps0 on 03/04/02 11:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>