Weird Issue

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Modem
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 29, 2012 6:01:59 PM

I'm running into an interesting issue with my network. I am currently able to connect wirelessly via my Linksys WRT54G2 router. My issue is that I'm not able to direct connect through my modem. I'm trying to upgrade routers, to a Linksys E1000, and whenever I unplug the router and connect through the modem I am unable to access the internet, so I can't install this new router. My guess is that I may have configured this router improperly and this is somehow effecting my ability to connect through the modem or any other routers. Does anyone have any experience with this or run into this issue?

More about : weird issue

February 29, 2012 6:57:03 PM

Make sure your computer is set to pull an IP address and DNS automatically if it isn't already. After connecting your computer directly to the modem, you may need to reboot the modem. You will definately need to reboot your PC so that it will aquire an IP address or you can use the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands.
m
l
March 1, 2012 3:01:53 PM

Do you know what the routers IPs are? How many routers have DHCP turned on? You should disconnect each router from your network and configure it separately. Turn DHCP on ONLY one router and give all the others an IP in the range the DHCP server is issuing, but not in the address pool itself.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2012 4:21:10 PM

Your ISP locks the MAC address of the NIC attached to their modem, ie your router. When you put the new router in place it won't get a connection because the MAC is wrong. Call your ISP and ask them to release the MAC address, or clear any data held in the system. Tell them you have a new NIC or new computer and they'll fix it.

Most ISPs refuse to assist with people's routers.

Or you could let it sit overnight and it might pick up the new MAC address on the new router. It is easier to just call them.
m
l
March 1, 2012 4:46:05 PM

I'm going to try some of these suggestions later today but, would this MAC address being locked to my modem explain why I can't get a connection when I direct connect to the internet through my modem?
m
l