Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Physx?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2013 10:17:56 PM

i was just wondering if getting an amd based gpu means no physx in games like Borderlands 2, etc.

More about : amd physx

January 24, 2013 10:20:30 PM

yes, AMD cards do not run Physx on the games that use it.
Score
January 24, 2013 10:22:26 PM

mace200200 said:
yes, AMD cards do not run Physx on the games that use it.

so if i get an amd card i cant run Physx or is there a way to force the physx on?
Score
Related resources
a b À AMD
January 24, 2013 10:28:53 PM

xl_480 said:
so if i get an amd card i cant run Physx or is there a way to force the physx on?

Not only will you need an Nvidia card but you will have to jump through some hoops to get things working and even then PhysX might not work in the latest titles.
Score
January 24, 2013 10:39:37 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Not only will you need an Nvidia card but you will have to jump through some hoops to get things working and even then PhysX might not work in the latest titles.

would a GTX 660 be good enough?
Score
a b À AMD
January 24, 2013 10:48:18 PM

It should be but as I haven't got or played the game I can't say for sure.
Score
January 24, 2013 11:48:05 PM

Yea I forgot about that, some games will still use Physx but instead of running on your GPU, if you have an AMD card it'll run on the CPU. Mass Effect 3 is the only game I have that works like this but I also don't have very many games.
Score
January 25, 2013 12:27:12 AM

mace200200 said:
Yea I forgot about that, some games will still use Physx but instead of running on your GPU, if you have an AMD card it'll run on the CPU. Mass Effect 3 is the only game I have that works like this but I also don't have very many games.

i did research on this and it says that. is the i5 3470 good enough for physx and gaming at the same time?
Score
September 6, 2013 10:17:09 PM

I guess physics based things are mainly for particle collisions, fluids etc., so most of the physics is done by CPU. I'm a AMD fan so I recommend buyin AMD gpu,, it wont affect much in the game. Physx was created by a company called aegsia (not sure the name exactly) which is now bought by nvidia and inculcated in itd cuda technology. but AMD's eyefinity is a better technology. games like crysis, laracroft etc are better played on an AMD GPU.
Score
a b À AMD
September 6, 2013 10:22:00 PM

rokrboy said:
I guess physics based things are mainly for particle collisions, fluids etc., so most of the physics is done by CPU. I'm a AMD fan so I recommend buyin AMD gpu,, it wont affect much in the game. Physx was created by a company called aegsia (not sure the name exactly) which is now bought by nvidia and inculcated in itd cuda technology. but AMD's eyefinity is a better technology. games like crysis, laracroft etc are better played on an AMD GPU.

The name is "Ageia" which NVidia bought and proprietarized
In most games it doesn't add much, and I have heard PS2 physx works decently on the CPU.

Score
a c 151 À AMD
September 6, 2013 11:36:24 PM

Mass Effect 3 is NOT a PhysX game.

You NEED an Nvidia card to run GPU accelerated PhysX. The list of games is only getting longer with highly anticipated AAA games and effects that are getting more and more advanced. This is a boat you do not want to miss. In addition to recent games Borderlands 2, Bureau: X-COM Declassified, Rise of the Triad, Planetside 2, and Metro Last Light; upcoming PhysX games include: Call of Duty: Ghosts, Batman: Arkham Origins, and the Witcher 3. Call of Duty for the first time ever with PhysX should be enough to close the books on anyone's video card purchase preference.

If you do not have an Nvidia GPU, and if the game settings still allow PhysX as an option, then it will run very poorly on the CPU. Not even the latest 6 core Haswell Extreme CPU's can run GPU PhysX at an acceptable performance level.

The old Hybrid PhysX hack allowing a primary AMD video card with a dedicated Nvidia PhysX card is: 1) a waste of money to have two cards when one would have accomplished the same thing, 2) no longer supported in any drivers for over the past two years.

The conclusion, if you don't buy an Nvidia video card you have effectively taken yourself out of the PhysX club. A GTX 660 is good enough to run PhysX games with high quality. Just like with any game, you'll want to play around with the settings to find that sweet spot that blends performance and graphics quality.
Score
!