Closed Solved

AMD Radeon 7950 stays at idle clock speeds while rendering (OpenCl)

The title pretty much says it all. I have a gigabyte windforce radeon hd 7950 that has a clock speed of 1000mhz. When I'm not running a demanding game the clocks on both the gpu and memory decrease substantially, which is fine (gpu clock = 300mhz, memory clock = 150mhz).

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 12 to render my videos, and they included a nice rendering option that allows you to used your gpu to help speed up rendering times (usually by a lot too!). While rendering (using OpenCL that I know my gpu is compatible with) my clocks still stay at idle speeds and don't raise to what they usually do playing a game.

Thanks for the help in advance!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 7950 stays idle clock speeds rendering opencl
  1. Best answer
    I'm not familiar with Sony Vegas, but PD9 has a separate option to enable "hardware acceleration".

Even though my GPU is compatible, it doesn't get used unless I go into the settings and select the option.

Maybe Vegas is similar.
  2. Z1NONLY said:
    I'm not familiar with Sony Vegas, but PD9 has a separate option to enable "hardware acceleration".

Even though my GPU is compatible, it doesn't get used unless I go into the settings and select the option.

Maybe Vegas is similar.

Ah, right I forgot Vegas had that option! I'll check it out tomorrow but I'm sure that's the issue.

Thanks!
  3. Best answer selected by owen1522.
  4. Mine is also Idle, however it has been used once.

I rendered the same file twice using CPU, and open GL.
    Both gave the same fairly slow time.
    Then I unistalled my GPU drivers and reinstalled and it worked.

However it has since stopped working, I think its just really dodgy and it wont work anymore
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Rendering GPUs Graphics