Sign in with
Your question

Hdtv tuner card advice, alternatives?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2013 1:07:35 AM

I have a Hauppage HVR 1600 MC. I live in Texas and have Time Warner basic cable. Over the last few years while I have upgraded my htpc computer guts and performance, the number of channels my tuner card pics up is now down to a handful. I get my local HD, which is great...but my Samsung t.v. picks up 60 or so basic qam and hd channels, while my tuner card picks up some 6 or 8. I really want to use Win7 for a pvr and not pay for digital services, but the channel scan pics up next to nothing...thoughts on other cards or solutions?
January 25, 2013 12:13:40 PM

Weird. I would expect the Hauppauge card to tune all the same channels as your TV does. First thing I would do would be to check with Hauppauge and see if there's a driver or firmware update for your card.

Hauppauge is pretty much the gold standard for OTA and QAM TV Tuner cards; with AverMedia not far behind. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend going with a newer card for fear that you'll get the exact same results. If you're willing to test it, though, the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 is the latest and greatest. The WinTV-HVT-1850 would also be a candidate.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 25, 2013 11:02:35 PM

Did a little poking around on user experience on Avermedia cards, and one user experience read just like mine... channels dropped off over time and there was a large discrepancy on what the TV tuner picked up verses the htpc tuner card. That person thought perhaps the culprit was Windows Media Center... any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
m
l
!