Hdtv tuner card advice, alternatives?

I have a Hauppage HVR 1600 MC. I live in Texas and have Time Warner basic cable. Over the last few years while I have upgraded my htpc computer guts and performance, the number of channels my tuner card pics up is now down to a handful. I get my local HD, which is great...but my Samsung t.v. picks up 60 or so basic qam and hd channels, while my tuner card picks up some 6 or 8. I really want to use Win7 for a pvr and not pay for digital services, but the channel scan pics up next to nothing...thoughts on other cards or solutions?
2 answers Last reply
More about hdtv tuner card advice alternatives
  1. Weird. I would expect the Hauppauge card to tune all the same channels as your TV does. First thing I would do would be to check with Hauppauge and see if there's a driver or firmware update for your card.

Hauppauge is pretty much the gold standard for OTA and QAM TV Tuner cards; with AverMedia not far behind. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend going with a newer card for fear that you'll get the exact same results. If you're willing to test it, though, the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 is the latest and greatest. The WinTV-HVT-1850 would also be a candidate.

-Wolf sends
  2. Did a little poking around on user experience on Avermedia cards, and one user experience read just like mine... channels dropped off over time and there was a large discrepancy on what the TV tuner picked up verses the htpc tuner card. That person thought perhaps the culprit was Windows Media Center... any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Tuner Basic Graphics